Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Vandy ($44,900/yr + COL)
54%
UGA ($14,148/yr + COL)
46%

Total votes: 132

alexonfyre

Re: Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:24 pm

rad law wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Truth in that. The guys I knew were all top 10% at UGA, if you can do that (and if you got into Vandy, you can), then you are good to go.

I'd caution against this reasoning, due to the exceptional nature of law school exams and the study of law itself, which are unlike anything one has studied before. It's not just a new subject, it's a new way of learning and considering material. LSAT and GPA don't correlate well to LS scores. They do, but not well. I think there are stats floating around TLS somewhere if I recall correctly. Anyone in LS has anecdotes about 25% GPA/LSAT combos who are top 10% or 170+ LSATs who are at the bottom.

A safer strategy is not to go anywhere you wouldn't be happy at median.

45k at UGA vs. 140k at Vandy. This is a fair debate on the merits of Vandy vs. UGA for Atlanta, but I simply don't see there being $100,000 + interest of difference. I went to Georgia Tech which is, oddly enough, a feeder school for Vandy law, and (over the course of the 15 times I met their people over my 5 years) they sold me on their ability to place in Atlanta. I think that a Vandy Law education could be worth better than 100k more than a UGA one, but only as far as its range of influence is wider. If you take that away and focus on just the Southeast, or Atlanta, it loses that edge. That's my opinion, and I can't argue with the point you made about GPA/LSAT performance, my logic was probably a bit flawed there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
rad law wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Truth in that. The guys I knew were all top 10% at UGA, if you can do that (and if you got into Vandy, you can), then you are good to go.

I'd caution against this reasoning, due to the exceptional nature of law school exams and the study of law itself, which are unlike anything one has studied before. It's not just a new subject, it's a new way of learning and considering material. LSAT and GPA don't correlate well to LS scores. They do, but not well. I think there are stats floating around TLS somewhere if I recall correctly. Anyone in LS has anecdotes about 25% GPA/LSAT combos who are top 10% or 170+ LSATs who are at the bottom.

A safer strategy is not to go anywhere you wouldn't be happy at median.

45k at UGA vs. 140k at Vandy. This is a fair debate on the merits of Vandy vs. UGA for Atlanta, but I simply don't see there being $100,000 + interest of difference. I went to Georgia Tech which is, oddly enough, a feeder school for Vandy law, and (over the course of the 15 times I met their people over my 5 years) they sold me on their ability to place in Atlanta. I think that a Vandy Law education could be worth better than 100k more than a UGA one, but only as far as its range of influence is wider. If you take that away and focus on just the Southeast, or Atlanta, it loses that edge. That's my opinion, and I can't argue with the point you made about GPA/LSAT performance, my logic was probably a bit flawed there.

I think it is probably more like 70k vs. 180k, but yeah, your point remains the same. For practicing in Georgia, I don't think it is worth ~100k more to go to Vanderbilt.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think it is probably more like 70k vs. 180k, but yeah, your point remains the same. For practicing in Georgia, I don't think it is worth ~100k more to go to Vanderbilt.

Yeah, I was assuming that books, living, etc, would be about the same, perhaps cheaper for UGA if OP is close enough to commute

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think it is probably more like 70k vs. 180k, but yeah, your point remains the same. For practicing in Georgia, I don't think it is worth ~100k more to go to Vanderbilt.

Agreed. rad law, I generally agree with you, but you're totally trolling for Vandy ITT. Any other school and you'd be saying "DON'T PAY STICKER EVER". I mean, I like Vandy too, but when you're talking a $120k difference....

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:41 pm

keg411 wrote:

Agreed. rad law, I generally agree with you, but you're totally trolling for Vandy ITT. Any other school and you'd be saying "DON'T PAY STICKER EVER". I mean, I like Vandy too, but when you're talking a $120k difference....

I think I said this earlier, but I don't recommend Vanderbilt's at sticker by any means. However, I've talked to OP (PM) and this is one of the rare situations where I think OP should go, for various reasons.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Romo, you are a stronger man than I. After receiving the Cornell viewbook, my deposit would have been in the mail before I read the first page.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

rad law wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I think I said this earlier, but I don't recommend Vanderbilt's at sticker by any means. However, I've talked to OP (PM) and this is one of the rare situations where I think OP should go, for various reasons.

Rad is privy to some additional information that does alter the equation somewhat, so his adamant attitude towards Vanderbilt is warranted. The biggest piece probably being that family contribution will equal the first year of tuition + part of COL at UGA Law.

rando

Postby rando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
deadpanic wrote:While that it is quite a bit of debt, I still say Vandy.

You are going to be well ahead of any UGA grad going for the same job in ATL or Chucktown for that matter.

This man has never lived or worked in law in Atlanta.
In my 5 years there I met many a partner, aside from the IP guys, over 60 percent were UGA grads (5 of the 9 I can think of). The UGA alumni network in ATL is insane, trust me. Emory is hated by a lot of judges, but loved by firms. GSU is the opposite.

Vandy is a great school, but your ROI is tremendously better at UGA, particularly given your preferences.

While this conclusion is correct; i.e. UGA does well in Atlanta. The rest is nonsense.

GSU loved by judges? what on earth?
Emory hated by judges? again. nonsense.
Over 60% partners are UGA grads. Triple nonsense.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:11 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote: The biggest piece probably being that family contribution will equal the first year of tuition + part of COL at UGA Law.

I don't actually think I fully understand this,
I read that as your family will give you the first year of tuition and part of your cost of living at UGA.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Rad is privy to some additional information that does alter the equation somewhat, so his adamant attitude towards Vanderbilt is warranted. The biggest piece probably being that family contribution will equal the first year of tuition + part of COL at UGA Law.

I get what you're saying. Then that does make a difference. Really nice of your family :).

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote: The biggest piece probably being that family contribution will equal the first year of tuition + part of COL at UGA Law.

I don't actually think I fully understand this,
I read that as your family will give you the first year of tuition and part of your cost of living at UGA.

Yes. So either have my first year at UGA paid for basically, or the same amount of money going to chip off part of the cost monster that Vandy would be.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Okay, so how does that make Vandy more attractive?
It seems, since the contribution is equal, that this wouldn't really change the calculus of the thing. But I don't know the whole story, so I suppose I will butt out.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 pm

alexonfyre wrote:Okay, so how does that make Vandy more attractive?
It seems, since the contribution is equal, that this wouldn't really change the calculus of the thing. But I don't know the whole story, so I suppose I will butt out.

In monetary terms because Vandy for, say, $140k-$160k debt might be worth is, whereas at $200k is not. Doesn't seem like a ton, but that money saved is a lot when you consider interest. With no Emory $$, I'd do this. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it, but I'd do it.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Vandy at sticker means the only acceptable outcomes for you after graduation will be biglaw or IBR, but your chances at biglaw are going to be alot better than if you went to UGA. There isn't really a TCR here. Personally, I'd go with Vandy because I'm more risk averse with my post graduation options than my debt, but both options have their merits.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:31 am

rad law wrote:

In monetary terms because Vandy for, say, $140k-$160k debt might be worth is, whereas at $200k is not. Doesn't seem like a ton, but that money saved is a lot when you consider interest. With no Emory $$, I'd do this. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it, but I'd do it.

I have nothing but bro love for you, but I must disagree. The difference is still 100k. We are talking about the opportunity to get a solid Tier 1 degree in the state he wants to practice in for less than 50k. To me, that make this an easy call for UGA.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

I have nothing but bro love for you, but I must disagree. The difference is still 100k. We are talking about the opportunity to get a solid Tier 1 degree in the state he wants to practice in for less than 50k. To me, that make this an easy call for UGA.

I don't think there's a straight wrong answer, and convincing arguments can be made for either side, but for me, desire for GA and SC, desire for possibility of biglaw, parental assistance, and no Emory $$ (still ridiculous) make me hesitantly, if ever so slightly, tip for Vandy.

Southernlaw57

Postby Southernlaw57 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 am

rad law wrote:
I don't think there's a straight wrong answer, and convincing arguments can be made for either side, but for me, desire for GA and SC, desire for possibility of biglaw, parental assistance, and no Emory $$ (still ridiculous) make me hesitantly, if ever so slightly, tip for Vandy.

I agree that there is no wrong answer, but you can also look at it from the perspective that his ideal job in Charleston pays 85k starting. I understand that CoL in SC is low, but the debt from Vandy would be double his starting salary. Debt from UGA, on the other hand, would be less than that salary and much more manageable.

The other factor to consider is OP's chance in Charleston from both schools. Is a Vandy degree going to help that much more than one from UGA in Charleston? Both will stick out from the onslaught of USC Law applications the firms receive. OP, have you talked with any partners/associates in that area to figure out how much of a difference the name will make?

I know that I originally voted for Vandy, but thinking about this has made me research and consider what I would do if I got the call more seriously.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:39 am

Southernlaw57 wrote:
rad law wrote:

I agree that there is no wrong answer, but you can also look at it from the perspective that his ideal job in Charleston pays 85k starting. I understand that CoL in SC is low, but the debt from Vandy would be double his starting salary. Debt from UGA, on the other hand, would be less than that salary and much more manageable.

The other factor to consider is OP's chance in Charleston from both schools. Is a Vandy degree going to help that much more than one from UGA in Charleston? Both will stick out from the onslaught of USC Law applications the firms receive. OP, have you talked with any partners/associates in that area to figure out how much of a difference the name will make?

I know that I originally voted for Vandy, but thinking about this has made me research and consider what I would do if I got the call more seriously.

All of my contacts have said that both Vanderbilt and UGA would be excellent schools to come from, but that Vanderbilt would have an edge. One guy said, "UGA is a great school, but it's still a state school." I would say my connections in Charleston are very strong as well, if that makes a difference. But I know networking can only take you so far.

Furthermore, I know the managing partner of Nexsen Pruet is a Vandy Grad.

Then a breakdown of Moore & Van Allen is:
16 - USC (Law Review, Order of Coif, etc)
1 - Vanderbilt (Noted as a research assistant.... :| )
1 - UGA (But with an NYU Tax LLM)
Sprinkling of Wake Forest, Cornell, UVA (3), and a few others.

Also, I know Moore & Van Allen does OCI at Emory, Duke, Vandy, USC, and a couple of other places but not UGA. I'd have to mail them a resume and then tap a contact.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:15 am

TBM- do you carry any student loan debt right now? i think, if you don't, then you should just listen to the people telling you 100k in extra debt is no joke.

my wife and i, together, hold about 40,000 in undergrad debt. we both have good jobs and have been very lucky (she is a RN; i have worked in ed. and sales). but even 40,000 in debt is a serious burden. it's like paying rent on another apartment you don't get to live in. it will affect everything you do and can do. every decision you make, whether it be related to employment, where you live, where you go out, who you meet, etc... will be influenced by the debt load. i promise you that.

last year, my wife and i had a combined gross income between 75,000 and 90,000 (we didn't lie on our taxes, so i don't mind saying it). should you work in atl or charleston, i think you'd take that range for yourself after law school. take away taxes, and we're down to somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000. take away payroll deductions like insurance, 401k or other retirement plans, and you're down to (being generous) 45,000-55,000. you need a place to live, so let's make it an even 1000/mo and say you rent. now you're making 33,000-43,000. do you do any charitable giving? let's say you want to be an involved member of the community (great way to build your business) and let's say you give 9-11% of your post tax wages. now you're down to 30,000-39,000. is your car paid for? let's say it's not, but you have a pretty small monthly payment of 200/month. now you're down to approx. 27,500- 36,500. do you need to commute to work? let's say your daily commute is 25 miles round trip, and your car gets 25 miles/gallon. a gallon a day (at 2.50/gallon) five days a week, for fifty-two weeks, comes to 650 bucks just for work commute. but i bet you'll take a trip in there at some point, so let's call it an even thousand. now you're down to 26,500- 36,500. want to eat? let's say you're very slick at the supermarket and you don't go out. 50 bucks a week times 52 weeks. round down to 2500 bucks. now we're at 24,000-34,000. factor in cable, electric, gas, water, trash pickup, and you're down below 19,000-29,000 in take home pay probably. now, out of THAT, you will have to pay well over 1000/month in loans as well??? without saving on anything other than retirement, your extra money comes to 7,000-17,000. that includes zero incidentals, zero fun, zero saving for the future.

be smart. don't take the risk. be a dawg.

maybe your situation is different from mine (as i said earlier, maybe you're independently wealthy), but think hard about YOUR situation. those loans aren't pretend. they are real money that you will owe back on, and then some. be careful, whatever you do.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:All of my contacts have said that both Vanderbilt and UGA would be excellent schools to come from, but that Vanderbilt would have an edge. One guy said, "UGA is a great school, but it's still a state school." I would say my connections in Charleston are very strong as well, if that makes a difference. But I know networking can only take you so far.

Does this surprise you? No one here is arguing that Georgia is a better school; Vanderbilt is clearly a cut (or two) above. The question is whether Vanderbilt is worth $100,000 more than UGA, and I'd say it is not.

Also, that line from "that one guy" cracks me up. I went to a pretty crummy private school, but all my friends and I would say, "Hey... it's better than state school" or "At least we don't go to state school."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 am

romothesavior wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:All of my contacts have said that both Vanderbilt and UGA would be excellent schools to come from, but that Vanderbilt would have an edge. One guy said, "UGA is a great school, but it's still a state school." I would say my connections in Charleston are very strong as well, if that makes a difference. But I know networking can only take you so far.

Does this surprise you? No one here is arguing that Georgia is a better school; Vanderbilt is clearly a cut (or two) above. The question is whether Vanderbilt is worth $100,000 more than UGA, and I'd say it is not.

Also, that line from "that one guy" cracks me up. I went to a pretty crummy private school, but all my friends and I would say, "Hey... it's better than state school" or "At least we don't go to state school."

Also, is the guy you quoted in SC or GA? If he's in SC, he could have a sports bias :D.

Seriously, debt will affect you. It's awesome that your parents are going to help out, but you're still going to be paying like $1,000/month after graduation at minimum. You can probably lower the COL debt if you get a SA after 2L, but that's still an "IF". I think your family connects are going to be strong enough to make UGA on the "cheap" work, but I can also see why Vandy is appealing and would be tough to turn down.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:41 pm

TBM, you said you were interested in practicing in the SE. It's important to keep in mind that the decent arguments for UGA are contingent on you working in Atlanta. If you want to work anywhere else, Vandy is the clear winner. Whether or not any school is worth sticker is a fair question; but if the answer is yes, then that affirmation would at least cover Vandy for the SE. Vandy is a strong school anywhere, but especially in the SE. Considered nationally, close to 50% big law placement +12% article III clerkship placement+plus a shot at the many smaller, solid firms all over the SE means you'll have a good chance of finding a decent job, whether your top 1/3, median, or higher.

As you know (now that you've received the acceptance package and have access to the career services book), Vandy provides a detailed accounting of EVERY graduate from last year. You know where each one went to work. Ask UGA to provide you with the same information. Few schools will, but Vandy is one of them. (As an anecdote) I want to work in Ohio, and I gave serious consideration to attending OSU. But I looked up every firm (all five) in Ohio where Vandy grads secured employment last year; and each job paid 100 k+. I also emailed several of those alumni, as well as contacted several other associates at other strong firms in my region, and nearly all recommended taking the stronger school, even for Columbus (where OSU's placement is the strongest.) The reason: nearly every OSU grad is focusing on the jobs in Columbus--similarly to how nearly every UGA grad focuses on Atlanta. Vandy's broad disbursement intensifies the prestige bonus, making you a more attractive candidate to firms.

We're talking risk assessment here, so what's harder to do: get into a good school, or do well in law school? What are the benefits of each? Top 10% at UGA will (from what I'm hearing ITT) do the trick in Atlanta. So, if you're fine with working in Atlanta, and you get top 10%, then perhaps UGA is TCR. You'll save 100k (or a lot more depending how long it takes you to pay off). What do you lose? Well, mobility, but in this scenario you have the job for cheaper. UGA wins--If you finish in the top 10%.

Now what do you lose if you don't finish in the top 10%? You're in Atlanta without a big law job--you could still probably find a decent job in the area, but in Charleston? You'll know that better than me. The chances at finishing around median at Vandy are (I think) much stronger than finishing toward the top of your class at UGA. 'Going to the best school you can' is a rule of thumb because it's generally the best thing you can do to increase your job prospects. From Vandy you'll have more job opportunity/security, and the options that come with prestige and mobility. The real gamble here is choosing UGA and betting you'll do great.

edit: Just thought I'd add, you're getting around 40k? So you're asking, is Vandy worth it with 40k, for working in the SE? The answer is that much simpler.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:43 pm

I'd probably take Vanderbilt in this situation. You can consolidate debt once you're out and I think, especially ITE, that Vanderbilt is the much, much safer bet. You'll have a smaller class size and broader reach during OCI, which means less of your classmates trying to snag the same job at which you're aiming.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:11 pm

your credit score suffers when you consolidate debt.

here is the real question. what's more likely?

Option 1- Go to Vandy, take out massive loans, but get a biglaw job to be able to pay the loans down.

Option 2- Go to UGA, take on a significantly smaller debt load, and get a job that pays north of 65-70,000 dollars.

These are your two desirable outcomes. You won't live comfortably with 160k debt and an 80,000 dollar job out of Vandy. All we ever hear on here is that one should never consider biglaw to be a sure thing. I feel like that's what you'd be doing in going to Vandy. But my advice is colored by my experience. I've been paying loans for a while and have no interest in taking any more on. I turned down 70k in loans to UVa. Most on here would call that lunacy. But again, most on here don't have loan debt yet, and this is all play money.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Not trying to get too personal, but how did you get into Vandy and not into UGA w/ a scholarship? They gave out a LOT of scholarship $$$ last year.

Your recent Vandy acceptance sounds like something you could use to pick up some money at Georgia. If you could pick up a $5,000/year scholarship I'd say go for it (they have a pretty low GPA requirement, usually); if not, I'd still say go to UGA. It's a big cash difference in all areas. Tuition is low, rent is low, food is cheap, booze is cheap, etc.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”