Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Vandy ($44,900/yr + COL)
53%
UGA ($14,148/yr + COL)
47%

Total votes: 136

Rawlsian

Bronze

Re: Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time

Post by Rawlsian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:28 pm

rando wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:
ze2151 wrote:your credit score suffers when you consolidate debt.

here is the real question. what's more likely?

Option 1- Go to Vandy, take out massive loans, but get a biglaw job to be able to pay the loans down.

Option 2- Go to UGA, take on a significantly smaller debt load, and get a job that pays north of 65-70,000 dollars.

These are your two desirable outcomes. You won't live comfortably with 160k debt and an 80,000 dollar job out of Vandy. All we ever hear on here is that one should never consider biglaw to be a sure thing. I feel like that's what you'd be doing in going to Vandy. But my advice is colored by my experience. I've been paying loans for a while and have no interest in taking any more on. I turned down 70k in loans to UVa. Most on here would call that lunacy. But again, most on here don't have loan debt yet, and this is all play money.
I'd bet option 1 is significantly more likely. We could find our for sure pretty quickly by looking at UGA's complete employment statistics. Does anyone have that info handy?

Op, it's important to consider upside as well. Living comfortably the first 3-5 years out of law school should be a consideration, but law school debt becomes an increasingly smaller consideration once you reach 200K +. Your potential ceiling should be factored into risk assessments. How ambitious are you?
People need to stop relying on biglaw. A fellow sa is from vandy and i asked him literally two minutes ago how much of their class got paying summer work. He ballparked 35%.

Itt. Incedible naivete.
I use "biglaw" looseley. When I do I mean a job that starts 100k +. Vandy publishes their SA placement, and this year it was around 49% for NLJ 250. There are other summer paying gigs besides that. I agree there is some naivete ITT, but I'm not just making these numbers up. Vandy is one of the few schools where one can talk confidnetly about the placement numbers, summer, or whatever.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:22 am

The GA legislature hates education for some reason:
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/article/29994/
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.atlantaunfiltered.com/2010/0 ... mployment/

State tuitions have spiked over the past year and a half, and scholarship dollars are few and far between, with most of them going to athletes (best ROI for the schools). I bet UGA would love to give money to talented applicants such as yourselves, but don't have it. Also, any money they do have is going to out of state students since, as someone else said, a lot of people from Georgia just want to go to UGA and price tag is not an issue, so they have no incentive for it.
Still, if you are getting a T1 education for less than 50k, there isn't much to complain about.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am

TL;DR: Thanks for the input. I picked UGA.

---

Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and perspectives. Its been a tough couple of days trying to decide what is going to be more beneficial to me long-term. There were a lot of different aspects to consider, but in the end UGA won out. I'm just too debt averse to attend Vanderbilt. Blame it on my UG degree in accountancy, but looking at the numbers for the loans and the implications of those loans gave me a large amount of anxiety.

Also, my career goals don't necessitate attending Vanderbilt. I want to stay in the Southeast and while I'd like the option of maybe going into big law, I won't be disappointed if I don't get it (which coming out of UGA, I probably wont). UGA places well in Atlanta and then I feel that my connections in Charleston are strong enough to at least get me interviews and I'll just have to hope for the best from there.

Finally, something has to be said for "gut" feeling. I'm normally a pretty logical person, as is everyone else on this board, but I went with a little bit of heart on this one. I just fell in love with Athens when I visited and have quickly made friends with some of the incoming 1Ls there. Additionally, my girlfriend is working in Atlanta and the drive to Charleston from Athens is only 4ish hours as opposed to the 9 it would take from Nashville.

Thanks again.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:TL;DR: Thanks for the input. I picked UGA.

---

Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and perspectives. Its been a tough couple of days trying to decide what is going to be more beneficial to me long-term. There were a lot of different aspects to consider, but in the end UGA won out. I'm just too debt averse to attend Vanderbilt. Blame it on my UG degree in accountancy, but looking at the numbers for the loans and the implications of those loans gave me a large amount of anxiety.

Also, my career goals don't necessitate attending Vanderbilt. I want to stay in the Southeast and while I'd like the option of maybe going into big law, I won't be disappointed if I don't get it (which coming out of UGA, I probably wont). UGA places well in Atlanta and then I feel that my connections in Charleston are strong enough to at least get me interviews and I'll just have to hope for the best from there.

Finally, something has to be said for "gut" feeling. I'm normally a pretty logical person, as is everyone else on this board, but I went with a little bit of heart on this one. I just fell in love with Athens when I visited and have quickly made friends with some of the incoming 1Ls there. Additionally, my girlfriend is working in Atlanta and the drive to Charleston from Athens is only 4ish hours as opposed to the 9 it would take from Nashville.

Thanks again.
Good for you TBM, best of luck!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:11 am

---

Hey guys,

Thanks again.
TBM, I think you made the right call. Congratulations.

Now, if Nova Southeaster lets you in off the waitlist, this is all moot right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Wish you were coming to Vanderbilt with me brah, but you made a fine choice. Hopefully I'll see you in ATL in three years.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

romothesavior wrote: Now, if Nova Southeaster lets you in off the waitlist, this is all moot right?
Don't even play games with my heart like that.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am

romothesavior wrote: Now, if Nova Southeaster lets you in off the waitlist, this is all moot right?
In the mean time, use UGA to leverage FL Coastal.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

rad law wrote:
Wish you were coming to Vanderbilt with me brah, but you made a fine choice. Hopefully I'll see you in ATL in three years.
Nah... Forget ATTTlanTTTa. I'll see you, TBM, and MM at WLRK in the summer of 2012.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
Nah... Forget ATTTlanTTTa. I'll see you, TBM, and MM at WLRK in the summer of 2012.
I don't think WLRK is going to have 3 open positions on the janitorial staff. We can dream to get so lucky as that though.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
WLRK... or killself. Gotta have goals.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
I don't think WLRK is going to have 3 open positions on the janitorial staff. We can dream to get so lucky as that though.
At least not for TTT scum from UGA and WUSTTTL. Rad and Miami Man, don't forget the little guys like me doing solo DUI law in Ruralville, USA when you're drinking your scotches at the country club.

Seriously though, 'grats on your decision TBM. It is quite a relief knowing where you'll be in the fall.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:26 am

Well, it's too late for me to add to my suggestion, as you've made your choice (although school's will often let you back pedal - mine did.) I will only say that having a similar choice in front of me last year, I now think I came way too close to making the wrong choice and letting my debt aversion run my decision.

I definitely would have gone with Vandy, hands down.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:27 am

romothesavior wrote: Seriously though, 'grats on your decision TBM. It is quite a relief knowing where you'll be in the fall.
I think you meant that as a general "when someone decides where to go, it takes a load off of their shoulders", but at first I read it that you were relieved you knew where I would be and I got a little :shock:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:30 am

Don't think there was a wrong choice here, especially since you aren't set on Atlanta or big-law. Congrats and good luck at UGA.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:30 am

TheBigMediocre wrote: I think you meant that as a general "when someone decides where to go, it takes a load off of their shoulders"
This.
I read it that you were relieved you knew where I would be and I got a little :shock:
Not this.

:D

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

mbw wrote:
Then again, I'm fully funded (Bank of Mom and Dad).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:37 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:
Alt? Schizophrenia? What is happening?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:38 am

romothesavior wrote:
At least not for TTT scum from UGA and WUSTTTL. Rad and Miami Man, don't forget the little guys like me doing solo DUI law in Ruralville, USA when you're drinking your scotches at the country club.

Seriously though, 'grats on your decision TBM. It is quite a relief knowing where you'll be in the fall.
MM's got the best shot. If I strike out at OCI it's gonna be plus-size models and Colt 45 bottles for the rest of my life.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:
Nope, not me... in fact, I was off skyping with my spouse about the Vandy attorney I suggested they hire last year (and they did...)

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:
What the hell are you talking about

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:51 pm

great call TBM. you might have a late-night, cold sweat moment about turning down the 'dores. don't worry about it. congratulations! see you in atlanta if you come up for dawg mixers, which you will.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:
What the hell are you talking about
He said, "I definitely would have gone with Vandy" and you said, "Then again, I'm fully funded." Makes no sense. Makes sense if it is the same person, e.g.:

"I definitely would have gone with Vandy, but then again, I'm fully funded by my parents."

I guess I was just confused, sorry.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:

I think he may have been saying that in the voice of mbw, in ftfy style.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:39 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mbw wrote:

I think he may have been saying that in the voice of mbw, in ftfy style.
Exactly

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”