Oregon ($$) vs ASU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tjeff10

New

Oregon ($$) vs ASU

Post by tjeff10 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:48 am

I'm an Oregon native deciding between Oregon Law and ASU Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law.
Oregon provided me with 10k scholarship (no stipulations). ASU no money, although esems like they have a wider array of concernations available as I'm not exactly sure the type of law I want to practice. I'm initially thinking something science related given my biology background. ASU has a center for science, technology, innovation.

My concern with Oregon is the terrible job market in Portland. I'm willing to stay and work in Phoenix/SW for some time after graduation, but eventually would like to settle back to Portland. Will ASU provide me with more opportunities/job experience to later move back to PDX in a better position?

I've toiled over this decision for several weeks now... including two deposit deadline extensions. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hope you're all doing well!

TJ

JWicker10

Bronze

Re: Oregon ($$) vs ASU

Post by JWicker10 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Well, Oregon has offered your $, not $$. However, Oregon does have a COL advantage as you could live at home and commute, saving money in the process. However, ASU is a substantially better school and Oregon hasn't really offered you that much money. I'd go to ASU.
Last edited by JWicker10 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 am

tjeff10 wrote:My concern with Oregon is the terrible job market in Portland. I'm willing to stay and work in Phoenix/SW for some time after graduation, but eventually would like to settle back to Portland. Will ASU provide me with more opportunities/job experience to later move back to PDX in a better position?
They are both regional schools, so I'd pick on region.

pre-law

New

Post by pre-law » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:58 am

JWicker10 wrote:Well, Oregon has offered your $, not $$. However, Oregon does have a COL advantage as you could live at home and commute, saving money in the process. However, ASU is a substantially better school and Oregon hasn't really offered you that much money. I'd go to ASU.
Not sure if this is true. ASU is, however, rated substantially higher by US News & World. ASU ranking at #38. Oregon at #80

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:54 am

If you are interested in science ASU offers some interesting science, law, and policy classes (e.g. Law, Science, and Technology; Biotechnology: Law, Science and Policy; Nanotechnology; Genetics)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”