Silly laptop question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
purell2

Silly laptop question

Postby purell2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 am

Hey guys,

I know this may sound absolutely ridiculous, but is it a bad idea to get a colored laptop for law school? I am loving the "spring green" Dell, lol, but I don't want to seem completely unprofessional toting that thing to class/presentations/internships.

Thanks a lot!
purell2

Sias

Re: Silly laptop question

Postby Sias » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

who cares what people think?

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 am

purell2 wrote:Hey guys,

I know this may sound absolutely ridiculous, but is it a bad idea to get a colored laptop for law school? I am loving the "spring green" Dell, lol, but I don't want to seem completely unprofessional toting that thing to class/presentations/internships.

Thanks a lot!
purell2

You won't get kicked out of law school for having a colored laptop. That being said, get a macbook.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 am

artichoke88 wrote:

Thanks a lot!
purell2

You won't get kicked out of law school for having a colored laptop. That being said, get a macbook.

then get a pretty neon green plastic casing for it.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:08 am

If I saw someone with a laptop like that, knowing they could have easily picked a darker color, I'd think "What a douche."

that said:
Sias wrote:who cares what people think?

purell2

Postby purell2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:16 am

pleasetryagain wrote:If I saw someone with a laptop like that, knowing they could have easily picked a darker color, I'd think "What a douche."

that said:

haha.. exactly why i asked. and by the way, i'm a girl. so perhaps it's a little less "douchey" :)

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am

purell2 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:If I saw someone with a laptop like that, knowing they could have easily picked a darker color, I'd think "What a douche."

that said:

haha.. exactly why i asked. and by the way, i'm a girl. so perhaps it's a little less "douchey" :)

lol.. no.. still pretty douchey imo

purell2

Postby purell2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am

darn. and i thought i was being stylish.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am

purell2 wrote:darn. and i thought i was being stylish.

lol..get your green laptop if you like it.. no one cares.. own that shit.. be all like "yeah, bitches, this is my shit."

Sias

Postby Sias » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am

purell2 wrote:

that said:

Honestly there's more important stuff to worry about than what people will think of your laptop. Furthermore, if you're worried about being professional (a legit concern btw), just remember that you're still a student for the next 3 years.

purell2

Postby purell2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am

oh i will. thanks for the help people. now onto more important things... like where to find a matching neon green wheeling backpack

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am

Sias wrote:
purell2 wrote:

that said:

Honestly there's more important stuff to worry about than what people will think of your laptop. Furthermore, if you're worried about being professional (a legit concern btw), just remember that you're still a student for the next 3 years.

and you can always buy one of those TSA-approved laptop cases that have the little straps on the top so it can cover the entire back of your computer in businessy situations.

the wheely question is of greater concern.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 am

Couldn't you get a regular computer and get a colored case for it? I have a MacBook pro and I got an incipio feather case for it in magenta. It's nice to have a regular clean computer and a fun case that can easily be removed for specific ocassions or if you just get sick of it. That being said, who cares what people think. Though I hope you are joking about the rolling matching bag... Let's just say that could be a tad much.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am

I know this may sound absolutely ridiculous
, but is it a bad idea to get a colored laptop for law school? I am loving the "spring green" Dell, lol, but I don't want to seem completely unprofessional toting that thing to class/presentations/internships.

Thanks a lot!
purell2

Do what you want.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:40 am

anthropologieaddict wrote:Couldn't you get a regular computer and get a colored case for it? I have a MacBook pro and I got an incipio feather case for it in magenta. It's nice to have a regular clean computer and a fun case that can easily be removed for specific ocassions or if you just get sick of it. That being said, who cares what people think. Though I hope you are joking about the rolling matching bag... Let's just say that could be a tad much.

I saw some girl at the apple store with this case... I liked how thin it was. do you notice your computer getting hotter than normal or anything?

purell2

Postby purell2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:42 am

yes i was kidding about the backpack. thanks for the incipio suggestion. i like them

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:53 am

sibley wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:Couldn't you get a regular computer and get a colored case for it? I have a MacBook pro and I got an incipio feather case for it in magenta. It's nice to have a regular clean computer and a fun case that can easily be removed for specific ocassions or if you just get sick of it. That being said, who cares what people think. Though I hope you are joking about the rolling matching bag... Let's just say that could be a tad much.

I saw some girl at the apple store with this case... I liked how thin it was. do you notice your computer getting hotter than normal or anything?

You're welcome, I've had the computer and the case for over a month and it actually stays pretty cool. No problems at all so far. My boyfriend has the same computer and case and has had both for about 6 months and has had no problems either.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:30 am

purell2 wrote:haha.. exactly why i asked. and by the way, i'm a girl. so perhaps it's a little less "douchey" :)

But sexism doesn't sell laptops: --LinkRemoved--

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 am

As long as you don't get a Mac you're golden.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 am

PC: IBM Lenovo
Mac: 13'' Macbook Pro running bootcamp (some law school software is for PCs only, so you may need windows).

Re software compatibility - check with the current law students of the school you're planning to attend.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 am

The fact that Macs can run windows quite well should not be overlooked.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 am

anthropologieaddict wrote:The fact that Macs can run windows quite well should not be overlooked.

The fact that I can get a better PC for half the price of a comparable Mac in many cases should not be overlooked.

Full disclosure: I got a Mac as a high school graduation present. It lasted 1.5 years before the motherboard burnt out and I was told it would cost more than my father initially paid for the computer to fix it. I bought a Dell instead and I'm posting on it now. The only problem I've had in five years of ownership was a power supply that died when it was still under warranty.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:The fact that Macs can run windows quite well should not be overlooked.

The fact that I can get a better PC for half the price of a comparable Mac in many cases should not be overlooked.

Full disclosure: I got a Mac as a high school graduation present. It lasted 1.5 years before the motherboard burnt out and I was told it would cost more than my father initially paid for the computer to fix it. I bought a Dell instead and I'm posting on it now. The only problem I've had in five years of ownership was a power supply that died when it was still under warranty.

Everyone is allowed to have their preferences, I first had a Dell, which ended up being a piece of junk. I have had Macs ever since and could not be happier. Yes, they are more expensive but it all depends on what you are looking for in a computer. Did not want to start WWIII on PC's vs. Mac's (it's a useless debate anyhow since everyone is already set in stone on which they prefer) just wanted to point out that compatiability does not have to be an issue.

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks a lot!
purell2

I debated whether it would be a good idea for me to continue using my 2-year old pink laptop once I start school this fall. I'd like to say I don't care what people think but I do! I don't want to be "that girl" ya know? As a female law student I already struggle with everything wrongly thinking I am going to law school "cuz I wanna be like Elle Woods."

In the end I can't justify buying a new laptop just because of the color but if I were buying a new one right now I would definitely choose a neutral black or gray.

KBicknell

Postby KBicknell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 am

I bought a purple Dell. I purchased this color because I got a good deal on it in their outlet store. That being said, I am a 39 yr old female and I stopped caring what people think many years a go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”