UAZ v. UMD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
trkmantis2

UAZ v. UMD

Postby trkmantis2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Same cost (after scholarships w/o stipulations), I could be happy in either AZ/mid-west or MD/metro-area. I'm from the east coast so my family is pushing for MD.

Both programs appear to dominate their respective states. Which is a stronger secondary legal market ITE, Phoenix or Baltimore?

trkmantis2

Re: UAZ v. UMD

Postby trkmantis2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 pm

-shameless bump-

What say you, TLS?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 pm

I would think that Arizona would be more "dominant" being that it seems like there are basically 2 strong schools for the entire state UA and ASU.

UMD, outside of Baltimore, would likely encounter more of the geographically close schools' graduates.

That's really speculative.

My guess is that this is one of those situations in which whatever "feels" right is the way to go.

trkmantis2

Postby trkmantis2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Yeah, it makes sense that UMD likely faces competition from DC/VA/T14 grads who want MD or just can't get DC.

My gut says UAZ has a slight edge overall.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:09 pm

trkmantis2 wrote:Yeah, it makes sense that UMD likely faces competition from DC/VA/T14 grads who want MD or just can't get DC.

My gut says UAZ has a slight edge overall.

I wouldn't bank on one making it entirely easier, or more difficult, to get work, as individual variance and luck probably will play more of a role. However, it is a consideration.

My considerations would be:

(1) Where do I want to work afterward (since we aren't talking T-14's, that matters)
(2) What is the cost of attendance
(3) Will I be happy there, and if not is a higher cost or lower rank school better overall?

It doesn't seem like there is a substantial difference in opportunities between the schools, from what I can tell (admittedly limited information on this), so go with where you can see yourself setting up a life afterward.

eoin62

Postby eoin62 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm an incoming 0L at UMD, so take this for what it is worth.

It is my understanding that UMD dominates the Baltimore market (to the extent that it exists, there isn't much in the way of Big Law here). Maryland Law is right in downtown Baltimore,not outside of DC like the Undergrad campus, and places very well to any office in the Baltimore area. There are not that many grads from higher ranked schools come to Baltimore and the only local competition is Tier 4 University of Baltimore. For example, more than half of the DLA Piper associates in the Baltimore-Mount Washington office are from UMD and the rest are a smattering of other schools (mostly T14).

That having been said, UMD doesn't really place anywhere except for Baltimore and the immediate area and big firms are very limited (Venable, DLA Piper, and maybe 2-3 more). If you don't want big law, there are plenty of other options, most of which are filled by UMD grads.

I know nothing about UAZ.

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Does the UA program really dominate in AZ? I go to ASU but truly have no bias. When the 2011 USNWR ranking were leaked, they had ASU jumping 17 spots (from 55 to 38). Meanwhile, UA moved up 1 spot from 43 to 42. I really don't know what to make of this, so what does everyone think?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 pm

trkmantis2 wrote:Same cost (after scholarships w/o stipulations), I could be happy in either AZ/mid-west or MD/metro-area. I'm from the east coast so my family is pushing for MD.

Both programs appear to dominate their respective states. Which is a stronger secondary legal market ITE, Phoenix or Baltimore?
i would choose arizona....25% of arizona grads make 80k or more right out of law school while 25% of UM grads make only 60k or more. also the cost of living in arizona is lower than the cost of living in DC so whatever you make in arizona after graduating will go alot farther for you.

trkmantis2

Postby trkmantis2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 pm

And UAZ just won ATL's 2010 Party Law School Rankings...

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/party-la ... gle+Reader

LOL

trkmantis2

Postby trkmantis2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Great Satchmo: (1) I could live/work in either, (2) same cost, (3) AZ has the quality of life edge

Eoin:
UMD claims that half of the AmLaw 100 attend OCI & firms such as Alston & Bird, Baker & McKenzie, Cadwalader, Covington, Jones Day, King & Spalding, Kirkland & Ellis, Sidely Austin, and Skadden Arps recruit at UMD. However, the latest placement numbers suggest UMD only places 14.2% in BigLaw and 4.2% in fed clerkships pre-ITE. UAZ has similar numbers (15.2% BigLaw and 5.2% fed clerkships.) I checked cost of living and it seems that Tucson & Phoenix are both lower than Bmore.

Najumobi:
Where did you get starting salary info for UMD? I can't seem to find any relevant data and their website is useless. I do agree with your cost of living analysis.

Edmonds: I have researched the UAZ/ASU debate. UAZ places better in BigLaw and clerkships. Although the market has changed, I still think UAZ is a stronger program with more portability than ASU. Additionally, I'm pretty sure ASU inflated its employment stats and will not sustain the unprecedented leap in rank. But I will concede that ASU has hotter girls.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Go to Arizona.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”