Northeastern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joeshmo39

Re: Northeastern

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 am

It seems people are trying to be helpful curly but I also get the feeling you just saw a poster for international law on a bus one day and decided on it. Even if there are "international" firms in Boston as in they have many offices in many countries a lot of that is biglaw. I don't think there are a lot of opportunities to travel live abroad, speak foreign languages etc.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 am

joeshmo

re-posting a link that has already been posted is not helpful - while intentions might be good, it just seems most people (including yourself) want to post to make their own point without any regard to what the original question was

the original question was about the northeastern program

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:15 am

joeshmo

also, thank you for the attack

but MANY non-profit / government / small firms have a international presence.

so please refer me to where your 'observation' comes from, and do you have any useful information about the northeastern program in general

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

Link? I dunno bout that but I think what people are saying is that international law programs/certificates etc. are largely snake oil to attract applicants like us. In reality, the international law community is fairly small and very prestige driven leaving little room for anyone let alone people not going to very recognizable international schools (I'm talking Harvard, Yale, Columbia, think how many English universities you can name that aren't Cambridge or Oxford). This means even if Northeastern has a good co-op or there are some international firms in Boston it is probably not something to really bank on. You sould look at other factors and pursue the international thing if you want, but putting too many eggs in that basket is not a great decisiosn. If you want to do the sort of work your family members do you best bet is to go to law school wherever best suits you and use those connections to get into the kind of work you want to do. I don't mean to make broad generalizations, and the rankings have their weaknesses, but they still correspond fairly strongly to employment and NE's rank is fairly low meaning even if they massively outperform ir then their Int'l law placement is still equivalent to a school in the 50s or 402, that placement is little.

Think of it like this: The U.S. has its own laws, Britain its own laws, China its own laws etc so it's sort of impossible to study in a U.S. law school and really be able to go out and practice in some other country. You may be able to advise others on U.S. trade laws for instance or patent laws for our country, but that mostly involves just knowing a US law really really well and does not necessitate leaving the country. Sure, there is an international body of law the U.N. or NATO or other organizations may uphold but that field is very small and very prestige driven probably. People in China and Europe know Harvard, I doubt they know many other schools.

Your post: Man, we're trying a bit to help here, seriously. We're just trying to be realistic, not grim. I don't now much about NE other than they are big on work during school and I've heard good things about he co-op program: but still the school is what it is. I'm not familar with the international law program but I doubt very much it is different from most other international programs. It's true that many governments and NGOs etc. have international offices but those positions dont' grow on trees and red cross in India probably has a lot of it's legal work done by, stunner, Indian lawyers. I mean U.S. law is enough I just don't understand where we get the belief that we would study at U.S. schools to go practice in foreign countries. I'm no expert but the forums are slow, I'm fairly informed, and have down time at work. I'm not taking pot-shots at you I (we) are just throwing out what we know.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

my friend - read the previous comments - you will see a link

you will see what I said about international law (english is not my first language - I meant working in an international setting... eg big firm, business like EMC, or non-profits)

but I appreciate your posts... I was just curious about NE because it has such an interesting program and co-op program has connections all over the world.

I have yet to take the LSAT but have been scoring mid 160's and GPA is 3.755 - just trying to get a sense of what is out there

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 am

double post apologies:

Found this guy: success story but no guarantee of anything after. Still, good experience.

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.northeastern.edu/law/academi ... index.html
^
That is the curriculum but it doesn't look wildly different from anything else I've seen. Reall pretty picture though, wonder where it is. Remember no school is going to sell it's own program short on it's site. A more full answer to your questions would be: NE probably has a better than average global program given the co-op possibilities, but it's not enough to significantly ouperform it's ranking most likely. Still, if you like Boston, it's probably a pretty solid school especially with $.
curly3426 wrote:my friend - read the previous comments - you will see a link

you will see what I said about international law (english is not my first language - I meant working in an international setting... eg big firm, business like EMC, or non-profits)

but I appreciate your posts... I was just curious about NE because it has such an interesting program and co-op program has connections all over the world.

I have yet to take the LSAT but have been scoring mid 160's and GPA is 3.755 - just trying to get a sense of what is out there

What is out there, given those numbers, is better options I would think.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:31 am

yes - my one big concern, which people have spoken to, is it's placement in NYC

but I'm pretty sure I could get a bit of money, and even if I bomb the lsat I probably still could get it

i'll read the articles

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

yes those two articles make the program look better than gold itself!

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

Joeshmo - I had a question regarding Pitt law. Are you familiar with the school - if so can i pm you>?

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am

post it here - would love to learn about it as well

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

It is kinda a personal question, hence the request to pm. I would be more comfortable having my question off the the boads, thanks.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 am

Feel free to PM.

I just graduated Pitt UG so I know the area well and the city because I'm a native. I don't know a ton about the law school but I have a pretty good friend who just graduated and I could probe him perhaps. Fire away I guess, can't really hurt to ask.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 am

pm'ed thanks joe!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am

curly3426 wrote:rad law - please read previous comments

"I am more interested in firms that have international presence. This could be either public or private" doesn't tell us that much. Still no idea what kind of work you want to do. "International" isn't really a type of law, at least not without a modifiers, such as "international mergers and acquisitions."

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:28 am

it isn't supposed to tell you much Rad Law - that is all I require

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 am

Northeastern is a good school that comes up with some good job prospects. Of course BU is better. So are BC and then Harvard. But if you don't get into Harvard or BC or BU, Northeastern is a good school in a large market with a good reputation. Not a bad option at all. Keep your debt down though if you attend. See if you can get a scholarship.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:32 am

thanks informative - do you know anything about how it places its students in NYC?

Rad Law do you have any opinions on Northeastern or trying to prove yourself right?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:33 am

curly3426 wrote:it isn't supposed to tell you much Rad Law - that is all I require

Why do you want to work internationally? This is a fair question, and without more information, you're gonna get terrible advice. Opportunities to travel, speak Italian, work in another country, etc? If so, tread carefully.

Anecdote #1: a small firm I have worked for is trying a case involving the governments of Spain, Portugal, and the descendants of people who died in an 1800s shipwreck (Spaniards). This case is technically "international," but none of our lawyers are going to Spain, and no knowledge of Spanish is necessary. The case is being litigated in the US. If it was being litigated in Spain, they would have hired Spanish lawyers.

Anecdote #2: a small firm I have worked for defended a Colombian drug trafficker who was extradited from Colombia to the USA. Again, an "international" case. But everything is happening in the US, no travel to Colombia is necessary, and no knowledge of Spanish, either.

See what I'm getting at here? If you wanted to do "international" cases such as these, I would understand, as this is a reasonable goal, but I'm guessing this is not what you're aiming for. I'm not saying it's possible to do work which requires travel to Italy/speaking Italian/knowledge of foreign law (you said you have family). The problem is, these opportunities are limited. By all means, pursue these goals, but specialized programs from schools not named HYSCCN aren't worth the money. Again, I reiterate: national school or best school in the region with $$ is your best bet, not Northeastern.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

curly3426 wrote:Rad Law do you have any opinions on Northeastern or trying to prove yourself right?

Opinion has already been stated. Here it is below, in case you missed it.

rad law wrote:Just go to a truly national school or the best school you can get into in the region you want to practice (with $$)

I'd be wary of attending Northeastern for anything close to sticker price. It's in a crowded market with big-name regionals.

edited for the knot in curly's panties
Last edited by Grizz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

no one is talking about northwestern - I guess it is fitting though you would make this mistake

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 am

curly3426 wrote:no one is talking about northwestern - I guess it is fitting though you would make this mistake

As if you have never made a typo?

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm

never in fact

Return to “Choosing a Law School”