Friend considering Florida Coastal – need advice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MJMD

Friend considering Florida Coastal – need advice

Postby MJMD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Friend lives in Ontario: we met in undergrad, where she we both had a horrible time, but unfortunately the day of her LSAT was particularly horrible. When it came time for me to apply to law schools this past cycle I encouraged her to do it with me, but she was still too down about the LSAT to begin; she eventually came around, though, after the deadline for every Canadian school had passed. Nonetheless, she did manage to apply late to a number of Canadian schools, and to Wayne State, Detroit-Mercy, and Florida Coastal. She still can’t contemplate taking the LSAT again. She has been rejected everywhere except Florida Coastal.

I told her I did not think going to Florida Coastal was a good idea: all I know about them is that they are a TTT school in Florida (a state brimming with TTT schools). She has countered that their medians are superior to those of Detroit-Mercy, and that she has spoken to the National Committee on Accreditation here in Canada, and they have told her that it is easy to go through the NCA process with a degree from Detroit-Mercy. I told her that that made sense because a Detroit-Mercy degree is probably much more familiar to the NCA board than one from Florida Coastal; plus, Detroit-Mercy grads who go through NCA are probably more likely to be hired for the all-important “articling” year by lawyers in Canada (especially lawyers in Windsor). If you don’t get an articling position in Canada, you cannot practice law in this country. I think she should hold out, get a job, retake the LSAT (with a 160 as her ultimate goal), and try again for a Canadian law school this cycle. What should I tell her?

P.S: I am in no way romantically linked with this individual.
Last edited by MJMD on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

dukelawguy144

Re: Friend considering Florida Coastal – need advice

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:51 pm

MJMD wrote:Friend lives in Ontario: we met in undergrad, where she we both had a horrible time, but while I only had one real crisis she had two, one of which came on the day of her LSAT. The day we met, she said that going to law school had always been her ultimate goal in life: it appears to have been the plan since Day 1, possibly to the extent that she has excluded all other possibilities from her mind and lived an unfortunately truncated life up until this point. In the U.S. she would probably be considered a URM (exotic South Asian ethnicity); her family is not rich, but have demonstrated both an unreal devotion to her and a scary overprotective streak.

When it came time for me to apply to law schools this past cycle I encouraged her to do it with me, but she was still recovering from her last emotional crisis; she eventually came around, though, after the deadline for every Canadian school had passed. Nonetheless, she did manage to apply late to a number of Canadian schools, and to Wayne State, Detroit-Mercy, and Florida Coastal. LSAT = (<150), GPA = (<3.00). Her last LSAT experience was so traumatic, with all the other horrors that were unfolding in her life at the time, that she still can’t even contemplate taking it again. She has been rejected everywhere except Florida Coastal.

I told her I did not think going to Florida Coastal was a good idea: all I know about them is that they are a TTT school in Florida (a state brimming with TTT schools), and that their spyware has infiltrated my computer as a result of too much time spent on TLS, causing ads for their “online L.L.M.” program to follow me everywhere I go (I’m looking at one now). I imagine that that program is a big hit with people in the Third World. She has countered that their medians are superior to those of Detroit-Mercy, and that she has spoken to the National Committee on Accreditation here in Canada, and they have told her that it is easy to go through the NCA process with a degree from Detroit-Mercy. I told her that that made sense because a Detroit-Mercy degree is probably much more familiar to the NCA board than one from Florida Coastal; plus, Detroit-Mercy grads who go through NCA are probably more likely to be hired for the all-important “articling” year by lawyers in Canada (especially lawyers in Windsor). If you don’t get an articling position in Canada, you cannot practice law in this country.

I feel guilty for possibly prompting this person to resume their efforts in trying to get into law school by my own example: even though she has never expressed a desire to do anything else, I’m not really sure she’s cut out for it. I think she should hold out, get a job, retake the LSAT (with a 160 as her ultimate goal), and try again for a Canadian law school this cycle, but I’m beginning to suspect that this may not be a possibility for her, and that if she really wants to be a lawyer, she may just be one of those people for whom schools like Florida Coastal were invented. I don’t know. If she gets in, should she go? Give me advice for her.

I think your friend==you. you do not need to be embarrassed to ask for advice.

If your friend is you, then you already know the answer to your question.

If your friend is someone else, I suggest having a talk with her and telling her that you are concerned about what her career prospects are from graduating from a TTT. Ask her if she wants to take a big risk. Say that you support her decision no matter what but that you think she should acknowledge the risks associated with going to a "joke" ranked law school.

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 am

dukelawguy144 wrote:I think your friend==you. you do not need to be embarrassed to ask for advice.

If your friend is you, then you already know the answer to your question.

If your friend is someone else, I suggest having a talk with her and telling her that you are concerned about what her career prospects are from graduating from a TTT. Ask her if she wants to take a big risk. Say that you support her decision no matter what but that you think she should acknowledge the risks associated with going to a "joke" ranked law school.

It's not me.
Last edited by MJMD on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 am

Last edited by rman1201 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lolschool

Postby Lolschool » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 am

MJMD wrote:their spyware has infiltrated my computer as a result of too much time spent on TLS, causing ads for their “online L.L.M.” program to follow me everywhere I go (I’m looking at one now).

uh, really?

MJMD wrote: I imagine that that program is a big hit with people in the Third World.

again, what..?

L&C 2013

Postby L&C 2013 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 am

This was extremely improbable, as I am an insane splitter

More important question: why didn't you apply to Northwestern?

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 am

L&C 2013 wrote:This was extremely improbable, as I am an insane splitter/quote]

More important question: why didn't you apply to Northwestern?

Considered it, but the mandatory interview actually put me off a little (even though it should have been a plus, because I interview well); I honestly didn't think they'd have anyone near enough to me to conduct one, and I couldn't take time off of work to fly to Chicago on a very off chance.

More to the point, I am Canadian, and paying $40,000 US instead of $10,000 Cdn didn't seem to make much sense (short of Harvard or Chicago), especially as it's much easier for a Canadian degree-holder to practice in the U.S. (in N.Y. or Mass.) than for someone with an American J.D. to practice in Canada.

But this isn't about me! Damn it! What am I supposed to tell my friend?

lewis louis

Postby lewis louis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 am

What you just told us? Not a bad place to start...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:55 am

Wtf are you on about? "In the U.S. she would be a URM..." Uh, no she wouldn't because she's not AA/NA/M/PR. And why is your story full of so much superfluous info? "I had one crisis." Nobody cares, this is about your friend, not you.

To be honest, your immediate defensive posture towards a "romantic link" makes me think that you at least have some feelings for her. But hey, I'm not a shrink.

As for shrinks, that seems to be what she needs. She needs professional help before anything else. You need to guide her to a professional rather than trying to play amateur shrink.

summoner

Postby summoner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 am

Florida Coastal would likely be a very, very bad idea. I used to practice in Florida and I never met a FGCL graduate.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:29 am

Is your friend aware of TLS? It isn't really your place to tell her where or whether or not to attend law school, but if she comes here hopefully it will scare the shit out of her and she will back out.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 am

If you scroll all the way down, you will see a search forum option. This exact thread has been hashed out more times then I can count. No ones going to really give you good advice now because quite frankly if you're to lazy to search, I'm not going to take you seriously.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”