keg411 wrote:miamiman wrote: Which school do you go to? Or where are you planning to go?
2) I don't suspect the majority, or even a plurality of Emory grads, are laterals from other southeastern posts.
3) Emory is a "credited" name in South Florida. I think outside of the usual suspects-- Harvard, etc. -- Duke/UVA/Emory are the three most revered schools among South Floridians. For college at least, it does seem like a disproportionate number of decently smart kids select into Emory because it's "close enough" and provides a solid education. I dont really know why there aren't more VULS people in South Florida; it sort of gets back to the conversation I was having with Rad Law. I think VULS grads self-selec into other, comparatively more southern markets (Atl, Texas, etc.)
1) I'm going to my own state school (not in Florida) w/$$$ (and I don't have to pay COL; my own debt will be well under 70k for 3 years; I also have immediate family connections in law that can basically guarantee that I will get employment; if all 3 of these things were not the case I would not have gone to law school). Planning on staying in the state, plus I had a shit GPA (sub 3.0) and my LSAT wasn't good enough (got a 165 as opposed to a 167-168; and that was already my re-take and I'm pretty sure my max) to get into any of the splitter schools with $$$ (and it's not like getting into WUSTL/UIUC/etc. would help me get a job in my state).
2) I like Emory and know plenty about it. My sister went there for undergrad. It has a great rep as does Vandy. But it's expensive. And my MO advice is generally "avoid expensive private schools" and "go to your own state school if you can't go T14 or get a scholarship".
3) I graduated from Miami undergrad back in '04-'05, so I still know a lot of people down there since several of my friends went to law school. That's the only reason I still follow the Florida legal markets.
Ah. Cool. Virtually everyone in my life has graduated from Miami in some capacity.