Want to practice in Miami: UofM or the Field?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Re: Want to practice in Miami: UofM or the Field?

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

ashnicole wrote:
rad law wrote:
Do you have a compelling narrative or reason for wanting to practice in Miami?

Absolutely love the city, connections in successful firms (not legal firms but firms which interact with top lawyers regularly), very close friends in the area, boyfriend is from there and intends to return as well. I am looking in other areas to practice, as well, but I am applying seriously to schools in areas I am considering. Miami being one. I am also scoring above their median LSAT in my PTs so I am hoping to get some $$.

Unless Miami comes through with something approximating full tuition, go to UF.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Last edited by trialjunky on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawFreak40

Postby LawFreak40 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Other than the high cost, I'm still wondering why everyone seems to hate the U?? lol What is it about the law school[b][/b] that is such a turn off for people?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:46 pm

LawFreak40 wrote:Other than the high cost, I'm still wondering why everyone seems to hate the U?? lol What is it about the law school[b][/b] that is such a turn off for people?

The high cost/debt coupled with low chances for employment that would provide the opportunity to repay that debt quickly.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 pm

miamiman wrote:For the record, firm-wide:

Miami: UVA 2, Duke 1, Notre Dame 1

Tampa: BC 1, BU 1, Emory 1, Florida 1, Florida State 1, Northwestern 1, W&L 1

Orlando: Florida 1

EDIT: you should also know that the ND girl's father is a named partner at a major miami firm. executive summary: stay the fuck away from florida schools if you want a biglaw job in miami.

Lots of T14 love. Good.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

doinmybest wrote:
miamiman wrote:For the record, firm-wide:

Miami: UVA 2, Duke 1, Notre Dame 1

Tampa: BC 1, BU 1, Emory 1, Florida 1, Florida State 1, Northwestern 1, W&L 1

Orlando: Florida 1

EDIT: you should also know that the ND girl's father is a named partner at a major miami firm. executive summary: stay the fuck away from florida schools if you want a biglaw job in miami.

Lots of T14 love. Good.

That a somewhat unremarkable AmLaw 200 picks up T14 students in a down economy should surprise no one. What should put fear in the hearts of some, and especially those enrolling at a Florida school, is that prior to ITE Carlton Fields was *lucky* if it got a small fraction of its incoming associates from T14s. That's why it troubles me that prospectives pull a Miami firm roster and find 10 UM associates at Greenberg or Holland; Please, do your homework and *look* at what year they graduated. 2005? 06? For those of you are who doubt wmy claims, I encourage you to look at the incoming associates at White and Case from c/o of 2009. I *believe*, although this number might be slightly off, that 3 of them are NU grads and another is a U of C grad. This doesn't even include the other T14s that may be scattered among the class who I didn't account for when I was considering which school to attend.

I'm not saying that attending Miami is categorically an awful decision. I do think it is though for the majority of prospectives and particularly those without a significant scholarship or some tremendous, a priori connection to the market.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm going to UM and didnt get a scholly. My freshman grades prevented all chances of that, otherwise I may have had a shot at one. However, I'm probably only responsible for part of the overall cost (albeit a significant amt but not 100%), family should help with part of it (i.e. living expenses, fees ). I don't have undergrad debt either so that's another plus. The economy will rebound at some point and jobs should return slowly. That said, I'll acknowledge that my risk is a bit less than others paying sticker.
Miami is still the best school in south florida and places better than any other school in the region (of course the UF trolls will say otherwise). Is it truly worth sticker? No. Is any school ranked below 40th? No. The top half to 30% of the class seem to do pretty well since UM owns the a good chunk of the market.
I've wanted to be a lawyer for awhile and I'm not gonna let a shitty freshman gpa stop me. Sure, I could get $$ from a T4 but the prospects at Miami are still way better. Honestly, I dont think Miami's placement is any worse than a school ranked lower than 35, they just get hurt in the rankings due to the large class size. If you want to work in So Fla, go to Miami (after any T14).

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:57 pm

eagles86 wrote:I'm going to UM and didnt get a scholly. My freshman grades prevented all chances of that, otherwise I may have had a shot at one. However, I'm probably only responsible for part of the overall cost (albeit a significant amt but not 100%), family should help with part of it (i.e. living expenses, fees ). I don't have undergrad debt either so that's another plus. The economy will rebound at some point and jobs should return slowly. That said, I'll acknowledge that my risk is a bit less than others paying sticker.
Miami is still the best school in south florida and places better than any other school in the region (of course the UF trolls will say otherwise). Is it truly worth sticker? No. Is any school ranked below 40th? No. The top half to 30% of the class seem to do pretty well since UM owns the a good chunk of the market.
I've wanted to be a lawyer for awhile and I'm not gonna let a shitty freshman gpa stop me. Sure, I could get $$ from a T4 but the prospects at Miami are still way better. Honestly, I dont think Miami's placement is any worse than a school ranked lower than 35, they just get hurt in the rankings due to the large class size. If you want to work in So Fla, go to Miami (after any T14).

lol

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:05 pm

haha, sure enough the tebow loving UF troll lurks

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:01 pm

eagles86 wrote:The economy will rebound at some point and jobs should return slowly.

You've got a little over a year for the economy to improve before 2L OCI, almost your only shot at the jobs (biglaw type jobs) that will enable you to pay off your massive debt before 25 years IBR (unless you're getting a shitton of help).

Miami is still the best school in south florida and places better than any other school in the region (of course the UF trolls will say otherwise).

Yes we will, because what you say is not true

Is it truly worth sticker? No. Is any school ranked below 40th? 6? No.

FTFY

The top half to 30% of the class seem to do pretty well since UM owns the a good chunk of the market.

What is pretty well? Your shot at NLJ250 was less that 15% when the economy was booming. It's much worse now.

If you want to work in So Fla, go to Miami only if you get something resembling full tuition. UF is cheaper with better all-around prospects.

FTFY

summoner

Postby summoner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I did full sticker at UM. Not worth it. And I went far enough back that most of us found jobs coming out of it. Wouldn't do it now, and already regret going back then.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 pm

and your whole career depends on 2L oci? give me a fucking break. Its not biglaw or bust for everyone.

Radlaw, all you ever do here is tell ppl that a school is not worth sticker. Seriously, look up his posts and thats about 80% of what he has to offer. Either your a true jerk or you need mental help badly or both.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:39 pm

miamiman wrote:the best option for biglaw in miami ITE is none of the above....

Go to http://www.carltonfields.com

Look at their incoming summer associate class.

I promise you that this is not unique to carlton fields

*saw two UF law students*

*came*

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

eagles86 wrote:and your whole career depends on 2L oci? give me a fucking break. Its not biglaw or bust for everyone.

I personally would not like to spend 25 yrs. as an indentured servant, but if you do, that's your prerogative. If you're counting on 10 yr. PI IBR, good luck, as good PI is also insanely competitive, especially since that governments are at a de facto hiring freeze. Even if you do land a $40k-$50k PD or State Attorney job, your 10 years will probably be hell.

Radlaw, all you ever do here is tell ppl that a school is not worth sticker.

Doesn't mean it's not true. This statement reminds me of one of those logical fallacy LSAT questions.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

eagles86 wrote:and your whole career depends on 2L oci? give me a fucking break. Its not biglaw or bust for everyone.

Radlaw, all you ever do here is tell ppl that a school is not worth sticker. Seriously, look up his posts and thats about 80% of what he has to offer. Either your a true jerk or you need mental help badly or both.

Dude, are you a moron? a miami grad who graduated pre ITE is saying it wasn't worth sticker then. Current students are saying its not worth sticker now. Miami, objectively I would argue, is not worth sticker. Don't ad hom Rad Law because you disagree with what he's saying, especially when what he's saying is uncontroversial.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 pm

rad law wrote:

I personally would not like to spend 25 yrs. as an indentured servant, but if you do, that's your prerogative. If you're counting on 10 yr. PI IBR, good luck, as good PI is also insanely competitive, especially since that governments are at a de facto hiring freeze. Even if you do land a $40k-$50k PD or State Attorney job, your 10 years will probably be hell.

Jacksonville State Attorney's Office hires about 15 new attorneys a year, words out of the mouth of the de facto recruiter today. I am sure this is not the only SAO doing so.

hth.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 pm

mistergoft wrote:
rad law wrote:

Jacksonville State Attorney's Office hires about 15 new attorneys a year, words out of the mouth of the de facto recruiter today. I am sure this is not the only SAO doing so.

hth.

How many fewer is that than pre-ITE?

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:52 pm

eagles86 wrote: Miami is still the best school in south florida and places better than any other school in the region (of course the UF trolls will say otherwise).

D00d, Big law is about grades. Other jobs are about networking. If you live in Miami and go to UF or UM, you have an equally likely chance of landing a job in Miami.

The only reason Miami "places better" is self selection; both schools will place exactly the same with the correct amount of networking and effort. There will be no difference for top students either; a small amount of UF students and UM students will get Big Law jobs. Going to UM might marginally increase your chance of being interviewed at some firms that do not OCI at UF, but, these jobs don't hire many students regardless.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 pm

rad law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
rad law wrote:

hth.

I did not ask, but I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to hear anyone was hiring at all.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 pm

mistergoft wrote:
rad law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Jacksonville State Attorney's Office hires about 15 new attorneys a year, words out of the mouth of the de facto recruiter today. I am sure this is not the only SAO doing so.

hth.

I did not ask, but I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to hear anyone was hiring at all.

That's actually pretty encouraging. It's still doom and gloom in the Bay Area from what I've been hearing.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 am

rad law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
rad law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Jacksonville State Attorney's Office hires about 15 new attorneys a year, words out of the mouth of the de facto recruiter today. I am sure this is not the only SAO doing so.

hth.

That's actually pretty encouraging. It's still doom and gloom in the Bay Area from what I've been hearing.

Yeah, it wasn't very encouraging to learn that one of the two SAs at Holland and Knight is from Yale, though...

:cry:

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:44 am

Hk ft lauderdale? Miami?

Not disputing what you're saying - simply asking for clarification...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:34 am

H&K in Tampa? I know they hired top of UF at least pre-ITE....

Also, I agree with rad law on his no-sticker-ever meme.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 am

miamiman wrote:Hk ft lauderdale? Miami?

Not disputing what you're saying - simply asking for clarification...

Jacksonville

Ft Laud office took NO SAs, I think Miami took 3, but I don't know the demographics on those ones. I do know that H&K Miami doesn't even OCI at UF, though... :|

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:50 am

goft, what FL markets are you looking at? Or do you just want a FL-BigLaw-equivalent job anywhere?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”