Want to practice in Miami: UofM or the Field? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
miamiman

Silver

Re: Want to practice in Miami: UofM or the Field?

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:01 am

Well, fuck. Not surprised H&K ft laudy was a ghosttown; I don't think GT or Akerman took anyone in ft lauderdale either. And, miami we already know was bent over and raped by the recession.

GOOD TO SEE THOSE SECONDARY MARKETS HOLDING UP!

*shakes angry fist*

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:12 am

keg411 wrote:goft, what FL markets are you looking at? Or do you just want a FL-BigLaw-equivalent job anywhere?
Preferably South Florida, could see myself in Jacksonville or Orlando as well. Staying away from the Gulf Coast for obvious reasons... see markets butchered by the economy see also BP oil spill

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:14 am

All this talk of H&K just reminded me of something I wanted to ask you, Goft. Like the dork that I am, I was browsing the attorney rosters at H&K's SoFla offices late one night and stumbled upon this poor soull:

http://www.hklaw.com/id77/biosCACROUSI/

To be honest, this is the first "staff" attorney listing I've found at any Miami/Ft Lauderdale office; they just aren't used the same way that they are in major markets. Are these types of positions advertised to you guys or do you suspect she was straight-up fucked (i.e. associateship pulled)?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 am

Was also browsing the Carlton Fields website. Clicked on the "careers" button. It's interesting that all the attorneys they chose to put on the site to showcase were from T14 plus Vandy and Emory.

--LinkRemoved--

Has commentary from Miami, Tampa, and ATL people.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:58 am

rad law wrote:Was also browsing the Carlton Fields website. Clicked on the "careers" button. It's interesting that all the attorneys they chose to put on the site to showcase were from T14 plus Vandy and Emory.

--LinkRemoved--

I see a lot more emory in sofla than vandy. I doubt that's a commentary on vandy as much as it is evidence of emorys selfselection into the south florida legal community.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:59 am

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:Was also browsing the Carlton Fields website. Clicked on the "careers" button. It's interesting that all the attorneys they chose to put on the site to showcase were from T14 plus Vandy and Emory.

--LinkRemoved--

I see a lot more emory in sofla than vandy. I doubt that's a commentary on vandy as much as it is evidence of emorys selfselection into the south florida legal community.
I was thinking of it more of a commentary on Carlton Fields and how they try to market themselves.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:00 am

miamiman wrote:All this talk of H&K just reminded me of something I wanted to ask you, Goft. Like the dork that I am, I was browsing the attorney rosters at H&K's SoFla offices late one night and stumbled upon this poor soull:

http://www.hklaw.com/id77/biosCACROUSI/

To be honest, this is the first "staff" attorney listing I've found at any Miami/Ft Lauderdale office; they just aren't used the same way that they are in major markets. Are these types of positions advertised to you guys or do you suspect she was straight-up fucked (i.e. associateship pulled)?
I haven't experienced any sort of advertising of this nature, but maybe she got Corsaired and had to take a doc review position part time. She wasn't even top 1/3 at UF (that's what it takes to graduate cum laude) so I can't imagine she would have landed an associate position, unless by some extenuating circumstances in a good economy, or, in this economy, a miracle of good.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 am

No, I meant south florida generally, not cf specifically.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

Also, I was browsing the Carlton Fields SA class and I saw one of my acquaintances from High School on the list for Tampa. Emory. That was encouraging.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:03 am

miamiman wrote:No, I meant south florida generally, not cf specifically.
Now I'm confused.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:08 am

rad law wrote:
Now I'm confused.
:D
Let's see if I can clarify; am writing this from my mobile to watch the game so bear with me.

I see more emory grads in associate/partner positions at sofla firms than vandy alums. Class sizes are roughly the same. The inference to be made, if there is one, is that I dont think vuls alums selfselect into miami at nearly the same volume as emory grads do. I doubt the emory credential is viewed as more prestigious.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:10 am

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:
Now I'm confused.
Let's see if I can clarify; am writing this from my mobile to watch the game so bear with me.

I see more emory grads in associate/partner positions at sofla firms than vandy alums. Class sizes are roughly the same. The inference to be made, if there is one, is that I dont think vuls alums selfselect into miami at nearly the same volume as emory grads do. I doubt the emory credential is viewed as more prestigious.
That I agree with for sure.

I just meant that it was interesting that the attorneys that Carlton Fields chose to showcase were from elite institutions rather than UF/FSU/Miami.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 am

rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:
Now I'm confused.

That I agree with for sure.

I just meant that it was interesting that the attorneys that Carlton Fields chose to showcase were from elite institutions rather than UF/FSU/Miami.
all moot anyways for you, though, right? are you looking at SoFla at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

miamiman wrote: all moot anyways for you, though, right? are you looking at SoFla at all?
Yeah, not really considering S. FL. In this economy though, who know, I'll have to apply anywhere I can think of a compelling narrative for.

I'm in Miami right now by the way. I had to speak Spanish to order food this morning, of course.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm considering SoFla as a secondary market if I can't land DC.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 pm

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:
Now I'm confused.

I'm wondering if the Emory connection has to do with these firms having ATL offices and the Emory people are mostly within-firm laterals (i.e. they started at the ATL office and were transferred to SoFla)? Or they figure as long as they're doing OCI for the ATL offices, they might as well do the SoFla ones as well? Also, even with this, I still wouldn't trust Emory @ sticker ITE -- maybe prior to ITE or with $$$.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:39 pm

rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote: all moot anyways for you, though, right? are you looking at SoFla at all?
Yeah, not really considering S. FL. In this economy though, who know, I'll have to apply anywhere I can think of a compelling narrative for.

I'm in Miami right now by the way. I had to speak Spanish to order food this morning, of course.
get some cuban coffee.

you'll no doubt crash hard on your way down but what a high

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 pm

keg411 wrote:
miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:
Now I'm confused.

I'm wondering if the Emory connection has to do with these firms having ATL offices and the Emory people are mostly within-firm laterals (i.e. they started at the ATL office and were transferred to SoFla)? Or they figure as long as they're doing OCI for the ATL offices, they might as well do the SoFla ones as well? Also, even with this, I still wouldn't trust Emory @ sticker ITE -- maybe prior to ITE or with $$$.
1) Which school do you go to? Or where are you planning to go?

2) I don't suspect the majority, or even a plurality of Emory grads, are laterals from other southeastern posts.

3) Emory is a "credited" name in South Florida. I think outside of the usual suspects-- Harvard, etc. -- Duke/UVA/Emory are the three most revered schools among South Floridians. For college at least, it does seem like a disproportionate number of decently smart kids select into Emory because it's "close enough" and provides a solid education. I dont really know why there aren't more VULS people in South Florida; it sort of gets back to the conversation I was having with Rad Law. I think VULS grads self-selec into other, comparatively more southern markets (Atl, Texas, etc.)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:49 pm

I echo Miamiman's staetments about the love Floridians have for Emory. I went. It was eh.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:

get some cuban coffee.

you'll no doubt crash hard on your way down but what a high
Haha true; I'll get one for sure. I had a tasty cafe con leche this morning, too.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:51 pm

rad law wrote:I echo Miamiman's staetments about the love Floridians have for Emory. I went. It was eh.
One of my best friends from college just graduated from their grad program. I looked at the law school. It was alright. Kinda nice-looking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:I echo Miamiman's staetments about the love Floridians have for Emory. I went. It was eh.
One of my best friends from college just graduated from their grad program. I looked at the law school. It was alright. Kinda nice-looking.
Yeah it's decent enough looking. I applied as well, in with $$. I would have been happy there, but glad I'm getting the change of scenery.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:55 pm

rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Yeah it's decent enough looking. I applied as well, in with $$. I would have been happy there, but glad I'm getting the change of scenery.
weirdly enough, I kinda liked the surrounding area. I'm a sucker for the 'burbs, though.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Its entirely possible that the Emory grads got the jobs because they had better personalities and interview skills. Lost in all this is the fact that working at a firm is a job and that like any other job, interviewing is required. Maybe the top 14 grads had no personality and social skills while the Emory grads had awesome personalities. Just a thought.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:58 pm

miamiman wrote: Which school do you go to? Or where are you planning to go?

2) I don't suspect the majority, or even a plurality of Emory grads, are laterals from other southeastern posts.

3) Emory is a "credited" name in South Florida. I think outside of the usual suspects-- Harvard, etc. -- Duke/UVA/Emory are the three most revered schools among South Floridians. For college at least, it does seem like a disproportionate number of decently smart kids select into Emory because it's "close enough" and provides a solid education. I dont really know why there aren't more VULS people in South Florida; it sort of gets back to the conversation I was having with Rad Law. I think VULS grads self-selec into other, comparatively more southern markets (Atl, Texas, etc.)
1) I'm going to my own state school (not in Florida) w/$$$ (and I don't have to pay COL; my own debt will be well under 70k for 3 years; I also have immediate family connections in law that can basically guarantee that I will get employment; if all 3 of these things were not the case I would not have gone to law school). Planning on staying in the state, plus I had a shit GPA (sub 3.0) and my LSAT wasn't good enough (got a 165 as opposed to a 167-168; and that was already my re-take and I'm pretty sure my max) to get into any of the splitter schools with $$$ (and it's not like getting into WUSTL/UIUC/etc. would help me get a job in my state).

2) I like Emory and know plenty about it. My sister went there for undergrad. It has a great rep as does Vandy. But it's expensive. And my MO advice is generally "avoid expensive private schools" and "go to your own state school if you can't go T14 or get a scholarship".

3) I graduated from Miami undergrad back in '04-'05, so I still know a lot of people down there since several of my friends went to law school. That's the only reason I still follow the Florida legal markets.

ETA: Also, for my career path, I want to go:
state clerkship (non-Federal) ---> small law (likely personal injury or matrimonial; I do have an "in" at a midlaw corporate firm, but I don't think corporate is a great fit for my personality)
Last edited by keg411 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”