Hastings v. Davis Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings v. Davis

Hastings
43%
Davis
57%

Total votes: 97

primusux

Bronze

Re: Hastings v. Davis

Post by primusux » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:11 pm

General Tso wrote:
primusux wrote:
General Tso wrote:word on the street is that Davis OCI for c/o 2012 pales in comparison to that of Hastings. :P

location matters in tough times

I don't want to get involved in the dick measuring contest, but, can you cite some facts to back this up? I'm quite interested.
126 total employers, 109 of which are firms. So far no Davis person has been willing to share their firm count, but I've heard that top 10% is the norm and below 25% need not bother.
25% need not bother with what? BigLaw OCI only? Also, how bout it Davis students...step up and share with us please!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:11 pm

top 10% just to qualify for an interview? is that what you are referring to?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:13 pm

primusux wrote:
25% need not bother with what? BigLaw OCI only? Also, how bout it Davis students...step up and share with us please!
need not bother partaking in OCI at all. there are probably ~30 firms interviewing Hastings 25% and about 5-6 others interviewing 33%.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:15 pm

General Tso wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
General Tso wrote:word on the street is that Davis OCI for c/o 2012 pales in comparison to that of Hastings. :P

location matters in tough times
Don't get hurt patting yourself on the back there...
Don't get too butthurt when you are earning 35k cowshitlaw in Merced :lol:

This is just further proof that hiring partners do not enjoy the Central Valley any more than the rest of humanity
Oh, but measuring dicks is so much fun!
If I wanted to get involved, I would say that I already knew that Tso's always trolling around, in perpetual TLS Hastings-search mode, looking to start a fight armed almost wholly with conjecture and game-saying. But that would be adding fuel to the fire, so I'll keep silent. :wink:

Long live cow country!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:16 pm

these aren't great numbers by any means, but judging from the threads on ND, WUSTL, etc. OCI, Hastings OCI is looking better than average for a T1 in this economy.

I think normal OCI at Hastings is more like 165-175 employers, with many more opportunities for 33%.

Also Hastings is larger than most law schools, but I'll take 109 firms w/ 400 students at Hastings over 39 firms with 250 students like WUSTL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:17 pm

I'd wait until seeing the actual outcomes of OCI before being too much of a dick...or, you know, not be a dick at all

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Where's SWheat when ya need him? :lol:

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:34 pm

zeth006 wrote:Where's SWheat when ya need him? :lol:
don't need him...A'nold will be my new Hastings troll sidekick

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:37 pm

General Tso wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:21 pm

primusux wrote:Also, how bout it Davis students...step up and share with us please!

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 pm

General Tso wrote:
Honestly, don't you have something better to do? Also, why did you take the time to bitch about Davis' higher ranking if your prospects are better than ours anyway? Basically, this is what I get from you: "The rankings are bullshit, but they matter because this will directly harm my (swheat, GeneralTso...whoever the fuck you are) employment prospects"..... Then a few weeks later: "Hastings students have more oppprtunities than Davis students." If Hastings students have a better shot at OCI anyway, why bother trolling the boards for weeks to bitch about the rankings?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 pm

yo! wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Honestly, don't you have something better to do? Also, why did you take the time to bitch about Davis' higher ranking if your prospects are better than ours anyway? Basically, this is what I get from you: "The rankings are bullshit, but they matter because this will directly harm my (swheat, GeneralTso...whoever the fuck you are) employment prospects"..... Then a few weeks later: "Hastings students have more oppprtunities than Davis students." If Hastings students have a better shot at OCI anyway, why bother trolling the boards for weeks to bitch about the rankings?

Hopefully that's not also directed at me as I personally don't have a stake in arguing over ranking/job prospect disparities between Davis/Hastings. :( Though I've sent my deposit and paperwork for Hastings, I just enjoy watching the flame wars for kicks n' giggles. But I will say that some people in the past have been known to take it a bit too far...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=116423 :lol:

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:05 am

best Hastings-Davis thread ever
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Hastings OCI unique employers is up to 116

employers seem far less concerned with USNWR than the typical TLS poster

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:06 pm

General Tso wrote: employers seem far less concerned with USNWR than the typical TLS poster
I find this hard to believe.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 pm

drdolittle wrote:
General Tso wrote: employers seem far less concerned with USNWR than the typical TLS poster
Why? Hastings lawyer/judge reputation score is 3.7 which standing alone is #23 or #25 or something...compared to #42 USNWR

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

General Tso wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
Why? Hastings lawyer/judge reputation score is 3.7 which standing alone is #23 or #25 or something...compared to #42 USNWR
Of course I was just kidding. Employers and the typical TLS poster have very little in common... :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

drdolittle wrote: Of course I was just kidding. Employers and the typical TLS poster have very little in common... :lol:
yup

Other schools ranked much higher than Hastings are expecting shitty OCI turnout...Notre Dame has 39 employers coming, and I believe WUSTL has 50 or so. Of course Hastings' location is working in its favor at least as much as its reputation (firms saving money by not travelling to South Bend, etc.)...but that is really one of the schools strongest selling points to begin with.

I'm still curious to see what Davis' OCI looks like

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:15 pm

General Tso wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Just outta curiosity, where can I find the lawyer/judge reputation index?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:12 pm

zeth006 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Just outta curiosity, where can I find the lawyer/judge reputation index?
it's one of the USNWR criteria
http://brightcoast.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... 939483c_o/

I am too lazy to rank them but 3.7 is higher than USC (3.5) and only a tenth of a point behind UCLA (3.8 ). It's also higher than many, if not most, schools ranked 20-50.

State budget crisis is really killing Hastings, more so than the other UCs. It's a shame.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 pm

That's actually really impressive.

I heard somewhere that Hastings is gradually weaning itself off of state funding. Here's to hoping the budget cuts won't drastically affect Hastings' quality of education or career services.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:20 pm

zeth006 wrote:That's actually really impressive.

I heard somewhere that Hastings is gradually weaning itself off of state funding. Here's to hoping the budget cuts won't drastically affect Hastings' quality of education or career services.
all of the UC professional schools will soon be privately funded. the big difference is that other UC law schools will still have the flagship university to fall back on (endowment, UG tuition) if need be. Hastings will have to maintain large class sizes and won't have the funding to do major improvements, new buildings, etc. like Davis and Irvine.

So I expect high student:faculty ratios and relatively low expenditures/student to be the norm, unfortunately.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:23 pm

General Tso wrote:
zeth006 wrote:That's actually really impressive.

all of the UC professional schools will soon be privately funded. the big difference is that other UC law schools will still have the flagship university to fall back on (endowment, UG tuition) if need be. Hastings will have to maintain large class sizes and won't have the funding to do major improvements, new buildings, etc. like Davis and Irvine.

So I expect high student:faculty ratios and relatively low expenditures/student to be the norm, unfortunately.
Aren't professional (especially law) schools the the most profitable parts of a university?

Why fall back on anything"?

Although flagship UG's have a lot of political clout, and therefore a more stable supply of public funds
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Borhas wrote:
Aren't professional (especially law) schools the the most profitable parts of a university?

Why fall back on anything"}?
that's true, but at some point, a university may be forced with the choice of either subsidizing their law school or letting it drop in the rankings.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Hastings definitely has more employers right now, but it's pretty proportional atm to the amount of students at Davis vs. Hastings. What kind of public defense options do you guys have? I will say I was disappointed to only see DAs offices interviewing at UCD as of now. Looks like I'll be applying cold for PD work.

I think that at this point, especially ITE, number of firms is an OK barometer but the real test is going to be who gets which jobs and with which grades. A lot of firms interview at both schools because they always have, but it doesn't mean they plan on hiring this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”