Hastings v. Davis Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings v. Davis

Hastings
43%
Davis
57%

Total votes: 97

Ranran1116

New

Hastings v. Davis

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 am

Just got off the waitlist of Hastings. Also accepted to Davis. Have to answer by sunday for Hastings, and next tuesday for Davis. I have read all the posts in the forum about those two schools, but still can not make a decision.
So where should I go? Hastings or Davis? Both are full price for non-resident.

drdolittle

Silver

Re: Hastings v. Davis

Post by drdolittle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:29 am

I also had to choose between Hastings and Davis, albeit with more time to think it through. I picked Hastings because of location. Since I intend to go into IP law, I feel I should be as near as possible to the top two IP schools (i.e. Berkeley and Stanford) to compete for the best internship/job opportunities throughout the year. Sounds counter-intuitive, but I was convinced of this even more after contacting current Hastings and Davis students via TLS and otherwise, as well as bay area patent attorneys.

But it was by no means an easy decision because I really liked Davis. I assume you cannot visit Hastings with such short notice, so I'd say in general, as others have posted, if you'd prefer a college town atmosphere with personal attention, pick Davis. On the other hand, if you'd prefer a faster paced city environment, a more typical professional school setting putting you very near courts and a large legal market (and direct competition), choose Hastings. It really is a personal decision on where you think you'd fit in best.

With respect to cost of attendance, it's ridiculous, but it's the price of going to law school in CA, I'm afraid. Going out of state, or even away from the SF bay area, was never a real possibility for me.

Overall, both schools cost virtually the same, so don't let that influence you.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:26 am

Do you want to live in a city or a college town while you are attending law school?

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 am

In before some idiot references USNWR rankings to settle this.

First of all, OP: Congrats. Two good choices. I hope to agonize right along with you, as soon as Hastings calls me off the WL. I'm also out-of-stater paying full price.

Davis' advantages here are its much smaller class size and its removed-from-the-grind college-town bubble.

Hastings has location, location, location. I can't think of a better place to be than San Francisco. And Hastings' certainly has a leg up in terms of access to top-shelf, logistically easy externships.

If you're looking for PI/govt, and plan a career in it with no private-sector work in first 10 years, Hastings' PICAP pretty much should seal the deal. Assuming you started your PI/govt career at around $50k, PICAP would save you $4,000 to $5,000 per year compared to using Davis' LRAP, which also is capped at a lower salary. That's not chump change.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I cannot drum up a Davis advantage that isn't related to "atmosphere." And while I guess that's somewhat important, and it has been my leading factor as I wonder about Hastings' WL, I can't help but wonder if that's not a really stupid thing to base this decision on. Set aside this more superficial factor, and Hastings seems to win it running away.

But still ...

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 am

bk187 wrote:Do you want to live in a city or a college town while you are attending law school?
I do not care the atmosphere or environment of the school, yet I do not want to end up in a small town... I am a foreigner, so better find a job in a international firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 am

ozarkhack wrote:In before some idiot references USNWR rankings to settle this.

First of all, OP: Congrats. Two good choices. I hope to agonize right along with you, as soon as Hastings calls me off the WL. I'm also out-of-stater paying full price.

Davis' advantages here are its much smaller class size and its removed-from-the-grind college-town bubble.

Hastings has location, location, location. I can't think of a better place to be than San Francisco. And Hastings' certainly has a leg up in terms of access to top-shelf, logistically easy externships.

If you're looking for PI/govt, and plan a career in it with no private-sector work in first 10 years, Hastings' PICAP pretty much should seal the deal. Assuming you started your PI/govt career at around $50k, PICAP would save you $4,000 to $5,000 per year compared to using Davis' LRAP, which also is capped at a lower salary. That's not chump change.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I cannot drum up a Davis advantage that isn't related to "atmosphere." And while I guess that's somewhat important, and it has been my leading factor as I wonder about Hastings' WL, I can't help but wonder if that's not a really stupid thing to base this decision on. Set aside this more superficial factor, and Hastings seems to win it running away.

But still ...
I got the email yesterday afternoon(my phone was off). By the way, I am surprised to see so many people's confidence in Hastings despite its drop in rank.
Last edited by Ranran1116 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am

drdolittle wrote:I also had to choose between Hastings and Davis, albeit with more time to think it through. I picked Hastings because of location. Since I intend to go into IP law, I feel I should be as near as possible to the top two IP schools (i.e. Berkeley and Stanford) to compete for the best internship/job opportunities throughout the year. Sounds counter-intuitive, but I was convinced of this even more after contacting current Hastings and Davis students via TLS and otherwise, as well as bay area patent attorneys.

But it was by no means an easy decision because I really liked Davis. I assume you cannot visit Hastings with such short notice, so I'd say in general, as others have posted, if you'd prefer a college town atmosphere with personal attention, pick Davis. On the other hand, if you'd prefer a faster paced city environment, a more typical professional school setting putting you very near courts and a large legal market (and direct competition), choose Hastings. It really is a personal decision on where you think you'd fit in best.

With respect to cost of attendance, it's ridiculous, but it's the price of going to law school in CA, I'm afraid. Going out of state, or even away from the SF bay area, was never a real possibility for me.

Overall, both schools cost virtually the same, so don't let that influence you.
I guess the location of Hastings maybe helpful for me to find a job in a firm with international business? I am not going to do IP, I may practice law related to business. Hastings seems enjoy a good reputation, yet it is hard to ignore the drop of rank...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Ranran1116 wrote:I got the email yesterday afternoon(my phone was off). By the way, I am surprised to see so many people's confidence in Hastings despite its drop in rank.
I haven't looked at the exact stats that have caused UCH's drop in rank, but its employment has stayed relatively equal to UCD's and the reputation of the two in CA is about the same. Looking at previous rankings, UCH didn't report their numbers for one year and ever since then it seems like USNWR has bitchslapped them for it.

Take a look at employment charts available, UCD and UCH are relatively similar in that regard.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:26 pm

IP is law related to business. In a service economy, where a lot of any particular company's value is non-material, IP is huge. It's also big with corporations that want to open operations in the united states.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:31 pm

mec30 wrote:IP is law related to business. In a service economy, where a lot of any particular company's value is non-material, IP is huge. It's also big with corporations that want to open operations in the united states.
My UG major is business administration, so can not do IP.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

bk187 wrote:I haven't looked at the exact stats that have caused UCH's drop in rank, but its employment has stayed relatively equal to UCD's and the reputation of the two in CA is about the same. Looking at previous rankings, UCH didn't report their numbers for one year and ever since then it seems like USNWR has bitchslapped them for it.

Take a look at employment charts available, UCD and UCH are relatively similar in that regard.
Davis' peer assessment & judge/lawyer assessment scores, on scale of 1-5, are 3.4 & 3.5. Hastings' are 3.3 & 3.7. I think these numbers are probably pretty useless. But it's what we've got.

Taken for what they are, the numbers mean that academia considers Davis slightly better than Hastings, though this could simply be due to rounding. And for reason we just have to accept, the opinions of academia carry more weight than any other single factor in the UNSWR rankings. ... Meanwhile, the scores also tell us that the folks who actually make up the world of legal employers hold Hastings in slightly higher esteem.

Hastings probably also loses a little bit by having a worse student-faculty ratio. And Davis likely got a boost in per-student expenditures b/c of its major expansion/renovation project.

Anyway, OP, it all boils down to this: The schools are virtually the same.

380yarddrives

New

Post by 380yarddrives » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
About 30 Minutes south...

--ImageRemoved--

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Ozarkhack made some excellent points in his/her original response, but just throw another spin on it out there:

All the things that Ozarkhack said about Hastings' location are true -- it is a decent-sized legal market and is physically closer to externships; it's also got more competition (Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA/USC sometimes, T14 grads coming in, etc).

Davis, although located in kind of the middle of nowhere, is much more dominant in its nearest market (Sacremento) than Hastings is in SF and faces less stiff competition (McGeorge is all I can think of off the top of my head). So although you might not be able to walk to your externship, I'd argue that it might be easier to get an externship at all -- and a more prestigious one. Davis also has a smaller class class, further limiting how much competition you'd be facing.

However, all of this may be utterly unimportant based on your goals. Overall, in terms of quality, I think they're about the same. The only difference comes in a) atmosphere and b) home market (SF versus Sac). Don't worry about the rankings. Past the top T(10/14/20/30...depending on who you ask) it's not about rank overall, but rank within the region. Hastings is still well-regarded in California, and in the Bay Area especially.

TL;DR version:

You want SF/urban setting --> Hastings
SacTown/Government/cows --> Davis

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Davis is an amazing town. Pretty much everyone who lives here loves it. Then again, SF is a world-class city if you have the cash to pull off living there. Job prospects are pretty identical, the difference isn't nearly as great as the 28-42 rankings spread indicates. Go where you'll feel most comfortable and at home.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:Ozarkhack made some excellent points in his/her original response, but just throw another spin on it out there:

All the things that Ozarkhack said about Hastings' location are true -- it is a decent-sized legal market and is physically closer to externships; it's also got more competition (Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA/USC sometimes, T14 grads coming in, etc).

Davis, although located in kind of the middle of nowhere, is much more dominant in its nearest market (Sacremento) than Hastings is in SF and faces less stiff competition (McGeorge is all I can think of off the top of my head). So although you might not be able to walk to your externship, I'd argue that it might be easier to get an externship at all -- and a more prestigious one. Davis also has a smaller class class, further limiting how much competition you'd be facing.

However, all of this may be utterly unimportant based on your goals. Overall, in terms of quality, I think they're about the same. The only difference comes in a) atmosphere and b) home market (SF versus Sac). Don't worry about the rankings. Past the top T(10/14/20/30...depending on who you ask) it's not about rank overall, but rank within the region. Hastings is still well-regarded in California, and in the Bay Area especially.

TL;DR version:

This is kind of a silly trope that gets bandied about too much. Davis is 10 minutes from Downtown Sacramento, and 1.5M people live in the Sac Metro Area. It's not like it's in North Dakota.

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:04 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:Ozarkhack made some excellent points in his/her original response, but just throw another spin on it out there:

TL;DR version:

This is kind of a silly trope that gets bandied about too much. Davis is 10 minutes from Downtown Sacramento, and 1.5M people live in the Sac Metro Area. It's not like it's in North Dakota.
How about job opportunities in SF for Davis students?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Ranran1116 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

TL;DR version:

How about job opportunities in SF for Davis students?
SF is UCD's primary employment market, prospects are for all purposes identical to those of Hastings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 pm

if you absolutely want PI/G Hastings because of superior PICAP

if not then some calculation of the setting vs cost
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Borhas wrote:if you absolutely want PI/G Hastings because of superior PICAP

Cost is the same and want firm job.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Ranran1116 wrote:

Cost is far from the same. You're going to be spending about 60% as much to live a comparable lifestyle in Davis.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Ranran1116 wrote:

since cost is the same, and since employment prospects are virtually identical

I'd say Hastings, since SF is just so much cooler than Sacramento

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Living in one of the biggest city in the world, I am sick of city life. So seems like I will be happier at Davis.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 pm

seems like an easy choice then, godspeed

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote: This is kind of a silly trope that gets bandied about too much. Davis is 10 minutes from Downtown Sacramento, and 1.5M people live in the Sac Metro Area. It's not like it's in North Dakota.
When I've been to Davis, it's felt like the middle of nowhere to me, but that might just be a personal thing. For background, though, I did my undergrad in SF so I'm used to a larger city setting.
Ranran1116 wrote:Living in one of the biggest city in the world, I am sick of city life. So seems like I will be happier at Davis.
If you're sick of city life, then Davis is undoubtedly the way to go. Make sure you apply for CA residency for your 2 and 3L years.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote: SF is UCD's primary employment market, prospects are for all purposes identical to those of Hastings.
Wrong - http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

UCD places nearly 2x as many grads in Sacramento as in SF...my primary reason for choosing Hastings instead.

OP if you want to bank on at 33-50% chance of being stuck in the Central Valley, then by all means choose Davis. But I recommend you visit first :lol:
Last edited by General Tso on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”