University of Denver vs. Penn State.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Denver University vs. Penn State.

University of Denver $22,000 per year.
48%
Penn State $20,000 per year.
52%

Total votes: 33

Captain Muscles

University of Denver vs. Penn State.

Postby Captain Muscles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 pm

So I have a tough decision.

I recently informed Penn State to let them know that I was withdrawing to go to University of Denver Sturm College of Law. I let them know that this was due to receiving a $22,000 a year scholarship.

Well, Penn State turned around and offered me a $20,000 a year scholarship.

So now I am reconsidering everything.

Here are some factors.

1. Location

Denver seems to be the better city to ultimately practice in but that is not to say that I could not happy in Pennsylvania.

2. Programs

Penn State seems to have more study abroad programs and is also tied into the larger Penn State University.

3. Employment
Penn State seems to have a higher median starting salary for graduates. Still, cost of living is pretty low in Denver and it is a great city.

Ultimately, this decision could effect me for many years, so offer me your thoughts!

Thanks!

Re: University of Denver vs. Penn State.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

20K for an Ivy? Take Penn State.

Captain Muscles

Postby Captain Muscles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Penn State is not an Ivy League School. You may be thinking of University of Pennsylvania.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Maybe he was joking that Denver was an Ivy school?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 pm

jeremydc wrote:Maybe he was joking that Denver was an Ivy school?

Nah I was joking that Penn is confused for Penn State.

Captain Muscles

Postby Captain Muscles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Lol, I figured.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:01 pm

you should choose on location first

if location isn't a factor, I'd probably give the edge to Penn State....it's an improving school and I think the east coast job market, while competitive, is larger and provides more opportunities than Denver.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 pm

I picked Denver. You seem more interested in living in Denver. Seeing they are both regional you should pick the place you would like to live.

Captain Muscles

Postby Captain Muscles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Plus, I would be closer living to my immediate family in Denver.

And I like doing outdoorsy things.

But I have the East Coast does intrigue me.....

Lol, decisions.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:Plus, I would be closer living to my immediate family in Denver.

Lol, decisions.

Have you visited Denver? Many people love it there... I was about to attend CU-B but changed my mind after visiting. Denver is small, there isn't much of a downtown area. Most of the shopping areas feel cheap and cookie cutter. Most of the new housing developments are McMansions. A lot of the older neighborhoods are run down. The weather in the summer is hot and extremely bright. I was disappointed to learn that Denver itself is far outside the mountains and is actually pretty flat. To me, it felt like a slightly better version of Dallas.

Boulder is nice, but the COL there is pretty high and it's a pretty long drive down to the city.

Captain Muscles

Postby Captain Muscles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Yeah, I have visited Denver a few times.

My sister did undergrad at DU and I thought it was a nice place.

Generally speaking, I got a good vibe from the place and my sister said she had a great time there.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:43 pm

less regional competition in denver than in philly/area

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:59 pm

I live in Denver and find that DU is pretty well respected in the local market. That being said, there is a lot of competition from CU in the small Denver market. Either school will be an uphill battle considering the competition immediately surrounding it, but Denver is probably less competitive overall. You really should make this decision based on location and where you would prefer to practice after law school.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:11 am

I'm sure you can find tons of outdoorsy things to do near Penn State. I'd visit both again and decide where you'd like to live and feel comfortable. They are very different places.. PSU being a college town in the middle of nowhere, Denver a big city.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Another thing you should consider is that Penn State's in the middle of central Pennsylvania aka Pennsyltucky. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not quite sure I'd classify it as stereotypical East Coast.

Disclaimer: I went to college in central PA, and I grew up and live in the Philly suburbs. Completely different lifestyles and culture in the two areas.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:47 pm

General Tso wrote:
Captain Muscles wrote:Plus, I would be closer living to my immediate family in Denver.

Lol, decisions.

Have you visited Denver? Many people love it there... I was about to attend CU-B but changed my mind after visiting. Denver is small, there isn't much of a downtown area. Most of the shopping areas feel cheap and cookie cutter. Most of the new housing developments are McMansions. A lot of the older neighborhoods are run down. The weather in the summer is hot and extremely bright. I was disappointed to learn that Denver itself is far outside the mountains and is actually pretty flat. To me, it felt like a slightly better version of Dallas.

Boulder is nice, but the COL there is pretty high and it's a pretty long drive down to the city.

Ok, where are you living? It's not anywhere in California if you think the drive from Denver to Boulder is long. And it's not anywhere in the south, or anywhere on the eastern seaboard south of Boston if you think the summers are hot in Denver (bright? yeah, I'll grant you that one).

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 am

Renzo wrote:
General Tso wrote:

Lol, decisions.

Ok, where are you living? It's not anywhere in California if you think the drive from Denver to Boulder is long. And it's not anywhere in the south, or anywhere on the eastern seaboard south of Boston if you think the summers are hot in Denver (bright? yeah, I'll grant you that one).

Yup I decided on Hastings instead. I actually PM'ed you about Denver before visiting. I thought Denver was okay, it's still a better place to live than most areas of the country, but I still prefer the coasts. More to do, nicer places to see, better weather, etc.

Traffic in CA is terrible...took us 2 hours today to get from the east bay into SF to go to the park. As far as I can tell it's even worse in SoCal.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:52 am

The drive between Boulder and Denver is less than an hour. It's really not so bad at all.

And far from the mountains? Again, less than an hour from Denver and you're entering the mountains, only 2 hours to get to ski resorts. Denver isn't in the mountains, but it's pretty damn close.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalltown

Postby smalltown » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:52 am

General Tso wrote:Have you visited Denver? Many people love it there... I was about to attend CU-B but changed my mind after visiting. Denver is small, there isn't much of a downtown area. Most of the shopping areas feel cheap and cookie cutter. Most of the new housing developments are McMansions. A lot of the older neighborhoods are run down. The weather in the summer is hot and extremely bright. I was disappointed to learn that Denver itself is far outside the mountains and is actually pretty flat. To me, it felt like a slightly better version of Dallas.

Please pass this on to anyone you know who is thinking of moving to Colorado. Especially those you know in California.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 am

General Tso wrote:Yup I decided on Hastings instead. I actually PM'ed you about Denver before visiting. I thought Denver was okay, it's still a better place to live than most areas of the country, but I still prefer the coasts. More to do, nicer places to see, better weather, etc.

Traffic in CA is terrible...took us 2 hours today to get from the east bay into SF to go to the park. As far as I can tell it's even worse in SoCal.

Ah, that's right. I remember now, but I forgot that you are you.

forward_hope

Postby forward_hope » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it seems like much of the "advice" you're seeing here isn't representative of DU Law or Denver. This is so far off it's laughable: "Denver is small, there isn't much of a downtown area. Most of the shopping areas feel cheap and cookie cutter. Most of the new housing developments are McMansions. A lot of the older neighborhoods are run down. The weather in the summer is hot and extremely bright. I was disappointed to learn that Denver itself is far outside the mountains and is actually pretty flat. To me, it felt like a slightly better version of Dallas."
Denver is SO not Dallas. Please. I don't think this person spent much time in the Mile High City, or got outside of the 'burbs. Downtown is huge, it's just that most people hang on the 16th St. Mall, which is lame. You need to know where to go in Denver as it's full of small neighborhoods with funky, interesting commercial districts. Old South Gaylord, Old South Pearl, LoDo, SoBo, Baker, Cap Hill...that's just the beginning. You can be in the mountains proper in 35 minutes, foothills in 20 from downtown.
As for DU Law v. Penn...full disclosure: I work for DU Law and my Dad went to Penn State. I know a lot about both schools. It all depends on what you're going to law school FOR and where you want to live after law school. But I can say this: the job market stinks EVERYWHERE. Students from top tier schools are getting deferrals or having to take jobs outside of the legal field. It's just the reality of the situation. No matter where you choose to go, remember: NETWORKING WILL GET YOU THE JOB. Period.

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Denver is sweet and you can go skiing :D

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:Still, cost of living is pretty low in Denver and it is a great city.

I love Denver, but this is just not correct. Maybe in comparison to New York, but the cost of living is still pretty high.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”