Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby masterthearts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Looking at 2nd tier schools. With a 3.88 gpa from an ivy and 154 lsat (this is a guess based on practice tests) can people come up with a list of schools I might get into? I am "other Hispanic", meaning I'm Hispanic, but not Mexican or Puerto Rican descent.
I need to figure out where to apply.
I prefer to stay on the east coast.

Here is a tentative list, tell me what you think
Rutgers Newark and Rutgers Camden
Univ of Miami
Hofstra
New York Law School
St. John's Law School

Any other ideas?

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby Dimsdale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:19 pm

It would be heartbreaking to waste that GPA and possible URM status with that LSAT. Get your act together, study the many guides to success on the LSAT on this site, and aim higher. You have a lot of time to study before the October test.

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Are you really banking on a 150s lsat? If so, then your list is just fine. I would add Brooklyn Part time though. However, if you are capable of getting a 3.88 at an IVY, try to break into the 160s (even if it means a lot of extra studying). A solid 160's score, IVY degree and URM status could get into Fordham Part time. Dont settle for a 150's score man.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm

,.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mirrored
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby Mirrored » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:27 pm

No, this is bad. No second tier schools. They are options that should only be taken when you can't do better.

First, you should take an LSAT course. There is a lot of upward room in a 154.

Second, you should probably consider working for a year or two. You are an ivy grad with a high GPA. You can get jobs. Not only that, but you can definitely do better with an Ivy UG than with a 2nd Tier JD. You could probably work as a paralegal at an elite firm and do better and more interesting work than you could as a JD doc reviewer.

I really recommend you do whatever the hell you have to, and fix that LSAT. Or that you consider a career outside of law. In many ways the LSAT DOES test aptitude for law-- especially the Logical Reasoning section, so if you're not good at it-- you should really reconsider.

But don't waste URM status and IVY status with that LSAT. It would be sad.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby masterthearts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 pm

I actually do pretty well on Logical Reasoning. I am taking a prep course. I only got a 1410 on my SAT and managed to get into an IVY (I had a strong high school GPA); I think URM status helped me get into an ivy.
I only want to be a lawyer. I can't imagine that an Ivy degree will lead to a better job than a JD (even if it's a 2nd tier school). I am hoping that even if I have to attend a 2nd tier school that I will be at the top of my class and be able to crack the good jobs.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 pm

,
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby Dimsdale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 pm

masterthearts wrote:I actually do pretty well on Logical Reasoning. I am taking a prep course. I only got a 1410 on my SAT and managed to get into an IVY (I had a strong high school GPA); I think URM status helped me get into an ivy.
I only want to be a lawyer. I can't imagine that an Ivy degree will lead to a better job than a JD (even if it's a 2nd tier school). I am hoping that even if I have to attend a 2nd tier school that I will be at the top of my class and be able to crack the good jobs.

Predicting where you will fall in your class is a very dicey proposition. Much better to boost the LSAT, get the better school and get the prestige boost rather than assuming you'll be top of your class.
EDIT A 3.88 is frigging awesome no matter where it comes from, it's the number, not the Ivy
Last edited by Dimsdale on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bubiglaw
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby bubiglaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:46 pm

study harder. its much easier to move from a 154 to a 163 than from a 163 to a 167. Better options are in reach for you. Dont settle for a Tier 2, thats my advice.

Also do not assume that you will graduate top of your class. Also, after college, IVY status does not mater. There are plenty of IVY grads at BU and some of them rank in the bottom 25% of their class. Just something to think about.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:48 pm

retake.

/thread.

seriously.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby James Bond » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 pm

masterthearts wrote: I only got a 1410 on my SAT


Not saying that I'm not up there, but "only?" lol :roll:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 pm

James Bond wrote:
masterthearts wrote: I only got a 1410 on my SAT


Not saying that I'm not up there, but "only?" lol :roll:


Maybe she means on the 2100 scale they use.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby wizoz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 pm

my friend got into upenn law with a 152 and 3.88 from an ivy. she's white hispanic and i think played the urm card. plus, she's historically performed poorly on standardized testing and could show that trend of high performance at the school but bad standardized test scores. i think her sats were in the 1100s.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby wizoz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm

she got no $$ for school. high lsat seems to equal $$$.

BTW, she's going Full-time...i have no idea if upenn has a pt program.
Last edited by wizoz on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby slider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm

wizoz wrote:my friend got into upenn law with a 152 and 3.88 from an ivy. she's white hispanic and i think played the urm card. plus, she's historically performed poorly on standardized testing and could show that trend of high performance at the school but bad standardized test scores. i think her sats were in the 1100s.


I agree with this. I think you have a really good shot if you ED to a lower T14.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm

slider wrote:
wizoz wrote:my friend got into upenn law with a 152 and 3.88 from an ivy. she's white hispanic and i think played the urm card. plus, she's historically performed poorly on standardized testing and could show that trend of high performance at the school but bad standardized test scores. i think her sats were in the 1100s.


I agree with this. I think you have a really good shot if you ED to a lower T14.


Why do you think this? Even if she was a real URM, it's iffy.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby slider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
slider wrote:
wizoz wrote:my friend got into upenn law with a 152 and 3.88 from an ivy. she's white hispanic and i think played the urm card. plus, she's historically performed poorly on standardized testing and could show that trend of high performance at the school but bad standardized test scores. i think her sats were in the 1100s.


I agree with this. I think you have a really good shot if you ED to a lower T14.


Why do you think this? Even if she was a real URM, it's iffy.


Many lower T14s like reverse splitters with ivy undergrads. NU notwithstanding. I've known several candidates with those numbers and similar background who were successful at gaining T14 admissions last cycle. They just don't announce it on LSN.

Granted, the rest of your app has to be solid.

User avatar
NewLobo
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby NewLobo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:14 pm

mistergoft wrote:retake.

/thread.

seriously.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby hellokitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 pm

We have really similar stats. Reapply with a new LSAT. I applied this past cycle and I didn't do bad at all imo considering my stats. But please retake. You might even get some $$$.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby lawgod » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

I hope you take this the way I mean it.
If you got into an Ivy league undergrad and kept a 3.88 GPA, it sounds like you are very intelligent and highly skilled. If you cannot beat a 154 lsat, I think you should reconsider whether law school is the right choice for you. It seems as if your personal skills are not in the legal field, but elsewhere. You should find that elsewhere because that is your best chance to excel.
Even if you manage to get into a great school with your gpa and urm, statistically, you will likely not do extremely well as a law student or a lawyer.
get that lsat under control or maybe reconsider

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby hellokitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 pm

lawgod wrote:I hope you take this the way I mean it.
If you got into an Ivy league undergrad and kept a 3.88 GPA, it sounds like you are very intelligent and highly skilled. If you cannot beat a 154 lsat, I think you should reconsider whether law school is the right choice for you. It seems as if your personal skills are not in the legal field, but elsewhere. You should find that elsewhere because that is your best chance to excel.
Even if you manage to get into a great school with your gpa and urm, statistically, you will likely not do extremely well as a law student or a lawyer.
get that lsat under control or maybe reconsider

OP isn't a URM. Correct me if I misread.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 am

Hop on that retake train my friend.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:44 am

I would kill for a 3.88 from my state school. Spend all summer studying and retake in October. You literally have the opportunity to make millions of dollars by studying for the next three months. Isn't that worth it?

By millions of course, I mean the opportunity to go from, "consider" at some schools all the way to full ride scholarships at better schools. 150k in law school debt, plus the better shot at biglaw, plus the better exit options.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 am

,
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Applying in the fall, but to where? 3.88 gpa; 154 lsat. Ivy

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 am

You should apply to Old Navy.

And retake the LSAT right after that.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests