need selection adivce relatively quickly

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
howie

need selection adivce relatively quickly

Postby howie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Alright for the last month or so I have been set on going to Catholic. HOWEVER, yesterday I was just informed that I was admitted off the waitlist at Maryland (part-time with the ability to change to full time after my 1L). Obviously Maryland is a higher ranked school, but it will cost more. I will have to pay 14k to attend Catholic, assuming I retain my scholarship, compared to the full tuition to attend Maryland. I would attend Maryland if the higher tuition would be worth it in terms of employment prospects at the time of graduation. Also I heard the law school was in a bad part Baltimore, but it would be definitely cheaper than DC. Also does anyone think I would be at disadvantage for attaining a job in DC, if I went to Maryland.

thanks you for all yalls help

pjo

Re: need selection adivce relatively quickly

Postby pjo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:52 pm

howie wrote:Alright for the last month or so I have been set on going to Catholic. HOWEVER, yesterday I was just informed that I was admitted off the waitlist at Maryland (part-time with the ability to change to full time after my 1L). Obviously Maryland is a higher ranked school, but it will cost more. I will have to pay 14k to attend Catholic, assuming I retain my scholarship, compared to the full tuition to attend Maryland. I would attend Maryland if the higher tuition would be worth it in terms of employment prospects at the time of graduation. Also I heard the law school was in a bad part Baltimore, but it would be definitely cheaper than DC. Also does anyone think I would be at disadvantage for attaining a job in DC, if I went to Maryland.

thanks you for all yalls help

what are the stipulations on your scholarship? and assuming you would retain it, what would be the total difference in cost (only for tuition)?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 pm

pjo wrote:what are the stipulations on your scholarship? and assuming you would retain it, what would be the total difference in cost (only for tuition)?

these are the relevant questions. employment prospects for biglaw were very similar (at least, pre-ITE, http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf)

crazyeddie

Postby crazyeddie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 pm

^Employment prospects were somewhat similar...but Maryland shows an obvious advantage here if you add in clerkships and other law firm jobs. Looks like Catholic has a strong government focus.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”