Final Decision-- Vandy ($) v. Iowa ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

VANDY ($) or IOWA ($$$)

Vanderbilt
32%
Iowa
68%

Total votes: 50

krj02004

Bronze

Final Decision-- Vandy ($) v. Iowa ($$$)

Post by krj02004 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm double deposited and got the email today that I have to choose... like tomorrow. I've pretty much made up my mind to go to Iowa since:

1) I'm a single mom and they have a greater childcare allowance than Vandy ($1500/mo v. only $1000/mo for 2 toddlers)
2) I want employment options and flexibility post-grad (not sure I want to do biglaw)
3) Iowa gave me a full scholarship (only taking out loans for livng expenses and childcare...which is also partially subsidized)

I guess I'm looking for re-assurance that I'm making the right decision. Vandy was my 1st choice....until they gave me their finaid package (only $10k per year). I did write a letter requesting them to re-evaluate given Iowa's generosity, but even if they do respond, I'm sure the most they could do is double what they gave me. I know that Vandy's prospects are better and the location kills Iowa City, but I literally get panic attacks thinking about $200k debt and having to potentially HAVE to work 80 hour weeks in biglaw...

So give me your opinions (or reassurance). Maybe I haven't looking at all the angles yet...

Diamond

Re: Final Decision-- Vandy ($) v. Iowa ($$$)

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:53 pm

If you don't want to do biglaw and you've got children to take care of, it seems smarter to me to be a little conservative about debt, especially when you can lower your debtload by going to a school as good as Iowa.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Normally I would say Vandy. They have better placement and options but for you I think Iowa would work well. As long as you don't mind staying in Iowa after graduation.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 pm

merichard87 wrote:Normally I would say Vandy. They have better placement and options but for you I think Iowa would work well. As long as you don't mind staying in Iowa after graduation.
Dude, Iowa is a T30 school, I'm pretty sure their reach goes a little further than Des Moines. Any big midwestern city is totally possible.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:57 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:If you don't want to do biglaw and you've got children to take care of, it seems smarter to me to be a little conservative about debt, especially when you can lower your debtload by going to a school as good as Iowa.
+1

However, curious -- where do you want to practice? Are you from Iowa? If you are and you want to stay in the area, it's definitely an excellent decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:59 pm

Iowa. Not convinced Vandy is worth the debt with your situation. Especially since Vandy's LRAP is comparatively poor.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:59 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Normally I would say Vandy. They have better placement and options but for you I think Iowa would work well. As long as you don't mind staying in Iowa after graduation.
Dude, Iowa is a T30 school, I'm pretty sure their reach goes a little further than Des Moines. Any big midwestern city is totally possible.

Yeah I'm not concerned about that... less than 30% of grads stay in Iowa. Definitely confined to MidWest though...

Discipulus Iustitiae

New

Post by Discipulus Iustitiae » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Iowa is a very respectable law school, resting comfortably on the cusp of the T-25 and enjoying a nice reputation in the Midwest. The financial aid package and childcare allowance make things much easier for you and your family. I think you can rest assured that, all things considered, Iowa is the better choice for you.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:If you don't want to do biglaw and you've got children to take care of, it seems smarter to me to be a little conservative about debt, especially when you can lower your debtload by going to a school as good as Iowa.
+1

However, curious -- where do you want to practice? Are you from Iowa? If you are and you want to stay in the area, it's definitely an excellent decision.

Nope Baltimore, haha. But trying to have a good quality of life in a major city on the East Coast with kids is tough. I don't mind starting life over in the MidWest if it means my children have a better quality of life and can do more things because of lower COL. I'm divorced and portable... there are no strings attached to any state. I would have liked to be closer to my parents in Baltimore, but Nashville isn't close either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Yea so I'm definitely a girl and worst case scenario for a school is that you stay in the city/state/region. I was just pointing that out. Geez.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm

No regional preference?

Iowa graduates are all over the Midwest (and Arizona, for some reason), so you cast a pretty big net with Iowa as far as square mileage is concerned. I think, given your situation, Iowa is a smart choice. If you really didn't want to be in the Midwest it might be a little closer.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm an ass for not reading before voting. Sorry. Remove one from Vandy and add one to Iowa.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

krj02004 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
+1

Nope Baltimore, haha. But trying to have a good quality of life in a major city on the East Coast with kids is tough. I don't mind starting life over in the MidWest if it means my children have a better quality of life and can do more things because of lower COL. I'm divorced and portable... there are no strings attached to any state. I would have liked to be closer to my parents in Baltimore, but Nashville isn't close either.
No full ride to UMD? If you got that, I would take that in your situation in a heartbeat because then you would save $$$ on the childcare costs. Otherwise, the Iowa deal sounds good for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 pm

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:37 pm

keg411 wrote:
krj02004 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
+1

No full ride to UMD? If you got that, I would take that in your situation in a heartbeat because then you would save $$$ on the childcare costs. Otherwise, the Iowa deal sounds good for you.

All loans for UMD.... and wasn't impressed with their staff or facility when I visited. ALso, significantly less earnings post-grad than Iowa.

Also, how would I save money on childcare costs in MD? It's twice as much than Iowa.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 pm

krj02004 wrote:All loans for UMD.... and wasn't impressed with their staff or facility when I visited. ALso, significantly less earnings post-grad than Iowa.

Also, how would I save money on childcare costs in MD? It's twice as much than Iowa.
You said your parents lived there; but it was probably presumptuous of me to believe that they would help out to help you relieve some of the financial burden. However, with all loans, that makes your decision very easy to get rid of UMD in the equation :).

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 am

Iowa it is! Thanks everyone for the feedback...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:21 am

krj02004 wrote:Iowa it is! Thanks everyone for the feedback...
I voted for Iowa as well. I'll probably be there as well...see you in a few months!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am

I'll be faced with a similar decision if Vandy accepts me from the WL. In your case, I voted for Iowa.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am

Slimpee wrote:
krj02004 wrote:Iowa it is! Thanks everyone for the feedback...
I voted for Iowa as well. I'll probably be there as well...see you in a few months!
:D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”