Cardozo vs. Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tommytahoe

Cardozo vs. Hastings

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Let's assume that NYC and SF are equally enticing, as places to live and to practice law. Let us also assume that in neither scenario would I be hoping/depending on taking my JD with me elsewhere (I know both are to varying degrees limited in that respect).

With all that in mind, which would be my preferred choice? Hastings would be +/- $20K cheaper. What draws me to Cardozo in this dilemma? I need convincing rationales, if they exist. Also, I have not been made an offer at Hastings, but it is very possible I am in the coming few days.

Thanks!

Teoeo

Re: Cardozo vs. Hastings

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm

nothing - go to hastings.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Teoeo wrote:nothing - go to hastings.

Agreed. It's always good to use a lawyerly frame of mind though: don't make your conclusion unless you're absolutely convinced you've covered everything.
NYC is compelling, as it always has been. But I have lived in the Bay Area for 5 of the past 7 years, so it's a huge draw too.

Tx.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Let's assume that NYC and SF are equally enticing, as places to live ... .

But why would you do that?

SF is a way better place to live. (Granted, to each his own. But as for me and mine, we will serve the West Coast.)

You get off WL, you go, tommy. Hastings does better in its state&region, it is cheaper (which blows my mind) and, Tenderloin aside, is in the most perfectest place in the country.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Let's assume that NYC and SF are equally enticing, as places to live ... .

But why would you do that?

SF is a way better place to live. (Granted, to each his own. But as for me and mine, we will serve the West Coast.)

You get off WL, you go, tommy. Hastings does better in its state&region, it is cheaper (which blows my mind) and, Tenderloin aside, is in the most perfectest place in the country.

Ha ha. I know. How can one just erase one of the biggest factors informing one's decision?
But I have to start with basic assumptions, then introduce the outside elements. That way, I know how much of my decision is based on the school's merits, and how much is mediated by where it is.
The Bay Area rocks my socks, don't get me wrong. But I've been splitting my heart between east and west ever since I realized my cycle may be very unpredictable.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 pm

In before "Subtle Davis trolling."

8)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:In before "Subtle Davis trolling."

So true. Not a peep from davis adcomms (yet?) so I only hope their name doesn't sneak inside this thread! :)

8)

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:In before "Subtle Davis trolling."

8)

Ahhh, SBL. I can't get enough of your comedic antics. It's too bad I haven't gotten off of Davis's wait-list. Hastings deposit due Thursday. :cry:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”