notre dame vs usc

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Californified

notre dame vs usc

Postby Californified » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:32 pm

sticker at usc vs 25k scholly at Notre Dame. From So. Cal and want to live here but after adding additional living expense, tuition differential and the value of the scholarship the difference over 3 years is between 90 and 100k. Very impressed with new law school at Notre Dame and felt very welcome but hate the cold. Southern California employment prospects significantly better from USC?

JWicker10

Re: notre dame vs usc

Postby JWicker10 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:41 pm

This is a pretty tough one, post a poll?

I'm also from So Cal and think I'd probably choose SC just because I think the employment prospects would in fact be appreciably better. Notre Dame does carry a bigger name than its rank necessarily reflects however.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 pm

I've heard stories of a relatively strong alumni network of Notre Dame grads in SoCal. But at the same time, you would probably have to be in a higher class rank at Notre Dame v. USC in order to get job secure. While it may cost a significant amount of extra money to go USC, you have to ask yourself this; What is the value of the risk you're putting yourself in by needing to get a higher class rank? You could be locked out of that market altogether if you do bad enough. Do you really want to spend your time in Indiana or Chicago....or god forbid Missouri?

Californified

Postby Californified » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Have lived in So Cal my whole life and really do not want to relocate permanently. If Notre Dame because of the $, I would work like an insane person to be sure I have an opportunity to return. I have talked to Notre Dame alum in So Cal who insist there is a strong network. How much better does my salary have to be to make up for 90 to 100k in loans plus interest? Arrrrgggh.

ohiodem

Postby ohiodem » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 pm

At USC you'll learn to win your cases, but they'll all end up being vacated a few years later after an extensive ABA investigation.

Sorry, couldn't resist. This is a hard one, but I can offer that you'll get used to the winters and at ND you at least have a shot at seeing a bowl game before you're a geriatric 3L. If you have any international interest whatsoever, the London study abroad program is awesome, classes are a block from Trafalgar Square. Housing in South Bend will be much cheaper for much more square footage. Also, agreed that the new law building is baller.

As for employment, if I'm not mistaken ND's top market for placement is California, and the alumni association is rabid. In your place I might follow the money to ND, but I would definitely concede that you'll very likely have an easier time finding a job in socal from USC. Basically, if you're already leaning toward ND and want someone to validate that, then you've got a decent scholarship and literally brand new facilities to look forward to, plus very good placement across the board. Unique culture, great people, great alumni network. If you're already leaning toward SC, I don't think you would lose anything critical by passing up ND other than the scholarship plus COL difference, which you will recover over the course of your career. Follow your instincts and know that you're not crazy for picking either one over the other.

Californified

Postby Californified » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Great post Ohiodem. Thank you. Was already thinking strongly about the London Program.
Reggie Stinking Bush. Seriously. They could do a SNL "really" skit on that moron. Really roll up to campus Reggie in your restored Impala SS with 22's and have it photographed for the cover of Dub magazine. Really Reggie refuse to settle early and out of court so that you can cost yourself 10 million in future endorsements, your Heisman, your retired number and your alma mater in flames.Really?

When applying to schools I thought USC was the best realistic chance and wanted to go there badly. Then I was waitlisted and started thinking about the $. Had decided was going to ND even if SC called. Then SC called. Now????

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Before I read about your scholarship at ND I thought "Is this a joke?"

Now I'm 60/40 for ND. You CAN get back to CA from schools like ND, but you're going to have to leverage the bajesus out of whatever personal contacts you have in SoCal, because OCI isn't likely to hook you up with something in a location you prefer.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Congrats on USC!

Did you get the call today?

Hard decision, I would go with USC. If I ever get off the waitlist I will be faced with a pretty similar decision.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:25 pm

ND with money, USC isn't worth the cost. Best of luck with the future job search though; it's gonna be tough.

Californified

Postby Californified » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Yes got the call today. I was already planning my trek to the frozen tundra in August. Visited in early May and it was 38 degrees at night. On the other hand, I might actually be able to stop procrastinating until Finals if I lived far away and was afraid to venture out for fear of being freeze dried instantaneously. The cost differential is huge and ND threw out the full court press. But.... I always wanted SC...

ohiodem

Postby ohiodem » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:42 pm

My answer is still go with your gut, especially if your "dream school" is involved (my colleague Susan may be able to better explain this point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk).

That being said, if you have any lifestyle/cultural/meteorological questions about Notre Dame and knowing the answers might make your decision easier, feel free to PM me. Just finished my BA at ND, and as an added bonus did the undergraduate program at our London Centre last year (now that I've given up the name of my alma mater, I'm going to go ahead and say it - Notre Dame is really, really, really awesome....like, really awesome).

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Californified wrote:Yes got the call today. I was already planning my trek to the frozen tundra in August. Visited in early May and it was 38 degrees at night. On the other hand, I might actually be able to stop procrastinating until Finals if I lived far away and was afraid to venture out for fear of being freeze dried instantaneously. The cost differential is huge and ND threw out the full court press. But.... I always wanted SC...

Im also from SoCal and the ND winters are frightening but it would be pretty cool to be studying in that library while its snowing outside. ND is pretty awesome and I completely understand your dilemma.

Could you post or PM your #s? Im just curious as someone who is dying to get off their waitlist!

Congrats again

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Californified wrote:sticker at usc vs 25k scholly at Notre Dame. From So. Cal and want to live here but after adding additional living expense, tuition differential and the value of the scholarship the difference over 3 years is between 90 and 100k. Very impressed with new law school at Notre Dame and felt very welcome but hate the cold. Southern California employment prospects significantly better from USC?

usc is not worth the 100k difference. go with nd.

Californified

Postby Californified » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 am

3.55 and 168. I was just lurking on the employment forum. Makes me lean a little for ND. It looks like employment prospects are dubious everywhere and the difference between the two schools does not look like 100k. But hey I have until Friday to make a decision or delay with a seat deposit. Apparently indecisiveness may be a personality defect that I will need to overcome along with multiple others (defects not personalities) during the next three years.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am

Californified wrote:3.55 and 168. I was just lurking on the employment forum. Makes me lean a little for ND. It looks like employment prospects are dubious everywhere and the difference between the two schools does not look like 100k. But hey I have until Friday to make a decision or delay with a seat deposit. Apparently indecisiveness may be a personality defect that I will need to overcome along with multiple others (defects not personalities) during the next three years.
if you can tolerate the idea of not performing well enough or not having the connections to make lining up a job in southern california feasible from ND, then ND is the way to go. if you'd be crushed if you didn't get employment in socal you may be better off just going with usc. i think location preference is a very important consideration.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:25 am

Californified wrote:Have lived in So Cal my whole life and really do not want to relocate permanently. If Notre Dame because of the $, I would work like an insane person to be sure I have an opportunity to return. I have talked to Notre Dame alum in So Cal who insist there is a strong network. How much better does my salary have to be to make up for 90 to 100k in loans plus interest? Arrrrgggh.

All depends on repayment schedule.

10 yrs figure 140k- 1150 month. pain in the ass but worth it or set up 20 yr and make extra payments.
20 yrs 185k- 770 month (not bad at all as long as you don't straight ball out on all other things auto, housing, etc...)
30 yrs 234k -651 month...not an option unless you are a complete train wreck and have a solid alch/drug addiction to allow logic to ignore the reality of that.

I wish people spent more time eye ballin' payment schedules for SL and mortgages for that matter. I always lean towards longest repay period if you are disciplined enough to pay extra against principal. You can make it work for you. I have UG loans locked at 2.875 or something absurd, as far as borrowed money damn i wish i was trying to sort this Law game out back then.

Just make sure you can stomach the weather, sometimes the psychological impact can rock people. I spent most of my life in the north and the winters just destroyed me. Some people don't notice, I am sensitive to that kind of thing. Other than that judging off what most of these logical and analytical TLS'ers have to say it may be a tough call.

I don't see taking your time to make a decision as important as this as a defect. It is the kind of thing you should view as an asset at times like this as long as you can reach your decision and feel confident in it.

I think naj's comment
najumobi wrote:[ if you can tolerate the idea of not performing well enough or not having the connections to make lining up a job in southern california feasible from ND, then ND is the way to go. if you'd be crushed if you didn't get employment in socal you may be better off just going with usc. i think location preference is a very important consideration.
carries a lot of wait in your situation and many others. If you have what it takes and your risk tolerance is up No Doubt or U will See Come next week or so.

solrac84

Postby solrac84 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 am

I was in a similar dilemma, but with USC v. Illinois. I chose Illinois. I'm originally from the west coast and plan on returning. I'm a rising 3L. I worked in LA my 1L summer and had no problem making it back. I probably did a little more leg work than a USC student, but it wasn't that hard.

With that being said, I assume ND will be similar to my experience. I would take the money from ND and go buy a warm winter coat. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”