M vs. D Mistake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
olanderp

Re: M vs. D Mistake?

Postby olanderp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:18 pm

miamiman wrote:
olanderp wrote:According to ATL, "100%" employment at Duke on this past USNews' rankings -- higher than HYS's -- resulted from Duke paying employers to hire Duke graduates temporarily for a few months; unfortunately, these jobs did not result in permanent offers. I thought only TTT schools employed this method of cheating the rankings?
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/the-secr ... -practice/

With due respect, virtually every t14 is doing this.

"With due respect?"

Where is your evidence? I doubt "every t-14" is paying employers to hire their graduates temporarily in order to boost their employment rates. This method blatantly employed by Duke to game the rankings is pretty unorthodox for the top 14 schools. Otherwise, I suspect that ATL would have gotten wind of it by now, and would have already posted this alleged information to troll the schools.
Last edited by olanderp on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 pm

All of the top schools manipulate employment stats by doing things like hiring their own grads for temporary research positions.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:25 pm

olanderp wrote:
miamiman wrote:
olanderp wrote:DUKE'S OCS LIES: According to ATL, "100%" employment at Duke on this past USNews' rankings -- higher than HYS's -- resulted from Duke paying employers to hire Duke graduates temporarily for a few months; unfortunately, these jobs did not result in permanent offers. I thought only TTT schools employed this method of cheating the rankings?

"With due respect?"

Where is your evidence? I doubt "every t-14" is paying employers to hire their graduates temporarily in order to boost their employment rates. The method employed by Duke to game the rankings is pretty unorthodox for the t-14 schools. Otherwise, I suspect that ATL would have gotten wind of it by now, and posted information to troll the schools.

You miss the point. Most t14s have fellowships established for precisely the same purpose. I can name H, Col, M, V, D just off the top of my head. That Duke is paying its grads' employers a few thou to keep their kids afloat and allow them to continue job searching hardly strikes me as novel or unnerving.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 pm

miamiman wrote:You miss the point. Most t14s have fellowships established for precisely the same purpose. I can name H, Col, M, V, D just off the top of my head. That Duke is paying its grads' employers a few thou to keep their kids afloat and allow them to continue job searching hardly strikes me as novel or unnerving.

Actually, they aren't. OP misread his own link. They are giving grants to students not employers.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

olanderp wrote:
miamiman wrote:
olanderp wrote:DUKE'S OCS LIES: According to ATL, "100%" employment at Duke on this past USNews' rankings -- higher than HYS's -- resulted from Duke paying employers to hire Duke graduates temporarily for a few months; unfortunately, these jobs did not result in permanent offers. I thought only TTT schools employed this method of cheating the rankings?

"With due respect?"

Where is your evidence? I doubt "every t-14" is paying employers to hire their graduates temporarily in order to boost their employment rates. This method blatantly employed by Duke to game the rankings is pretty unorthodox for the top 14 schools. Otherwise, I suspect that ATL would have gotten wind of it by now, and would have already posted this alleged information to troll the schools.

If you actually read the article it painted the BtP program in a very positive light, stating that in most cases the program allowed students to find employment within a few months. This isn't some nefarious temp job or library position to game numbers, it's a legitimate program to help unemployed 3Ls. Duke isn't hiding any aspect of the program and they freely discussed it at the Open House in March.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”