SMU vs GMU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should my friend go?

SMU
93%
GMU
7%

Total votes: 15

Stanford4Me

Platinum

SMU vs GMU

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I have a friend who is trying to decide between Southern Methodist University and George Mason University. She is leaning towards working in Dallas, which is a huge plus for SMU, but is also interested in getting involved in the legal market in D.C. I told her I think it depends largely on where she wants to practice after law school because both schools place strongly in the regions in which they are located, and I decided I'd post her question on here to get more insight. Ask and answer away.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Re: SMU vs GMU

Post by vespertiliovir » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:57 pm

i say smu. they have arguably the best access to the dallas market of any school -- even more so than utexas, though that's debatable. whereas in dc, people from higher-ranked schools all over the country are competing for jobs. if your friend does well at either school she'll be fine. but imo a middle-of-the-pack student at smu is better-off than at gmu. just playing the odds.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Pick a spot. Either school is good for its area.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Like the earlier poster said, there are a ton of grads trying to get to DC. Not so many trying for Dallas and SMU is in a prime position to place a grad at any level in Dallas. GMU just doesn't have those qualities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”