Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     Forum Archives     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is UCD worth full price(non-resident)?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:13 pm 

1. I would like to practice in CA, love the weather, yet I have to pay $180,000(including living expenses) for Davis.
I am also accepted to SMU with $90,000 of scholarship, and it places well in Dallas.
2. I want biglaw and practice law related to business and finance.
3. I have heard UCD is mainly intelletual property law, SMU seems good for busienss law.
4. I am an Asian, so maybe I will have more chances in UCD since the Asian population in CA is way bigger and there is mroe international law firms in CA?

So is UCD worth the money?

Post subject: Re: Is UCD worth full price(non-resident)?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:21 pm 

Ranran1116 wrote:
1. I would like to practice in CA, love the weather, yet I have to pay $180,000(including living expenses) for Davis.
I am also accepted to SMU with $90,000 of scholarship, and it places well in Dallas.
2. I want biglaw and practice law related to business and finance.
3. I have heard UCD is mainly intelletual property law, SMU seems good for busienss law.
4. I am an Asian, so maybe I will have more chances in UCD since the Asian population in CA is way bigger and there is mroe international law firms in CA?

So is UCD worth the money?

Your last two points are non-factors.

If you are deadset on CA then don't go to SMU. But that is a lot of money for UCD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 pm 

Yeah, if it is not so expensive, I would not be so torn and choose UCD without hesitation. Though my parents are going to pay for it, I do not want to waste the money, and I guess I will feel guilty for paying so much for law school.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 pm 

That's a metric shit-ton of money for Davis. Both are good schools but SMU will not lead to to CA without stellar performance, good connections in CA, and a fair dose of luck.

I understand the hesitation about money and tuition at UC schools seems only on the rise.

That's a tough call and I surely wouldn't pay sticker at Davis, but as has been suggested: if you're dead set on CA...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:04 pm 

go to SMU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:31 pm 

Well, I am going to SMU. I guess if I miss CA I can always go back for vocation, and I can use the money saved for other things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:59 pm 

Ranran1116 wrote:
I have heard UCD is mainly intelletual property law,

Who are you talking to? This is ridiculous. The above poster is right that the supposed "specialties" of these two schools are irrelevant, but that you've "heard" this and haven't taken the very minimal effort needed to support/refute it suggests that you have done little to no actual legwork into this most important of decisions. It's none of my business, but I couldn't help but point it out.

As someone who's about to pay sticker at Davis, I think there can be arguments made for it — in my case: I'm determined to work in California, fiance's family lives there, and I expect IBR's public-service program to alleviate the debt. But none of these factors appear to apply to your case. So SMU is almost certainly the better choice for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:13 pm 

Ranran1116 wrote:
Well, I am going to SMU. I guess if I miss CA I can always go back for vocation, and I can use the money saved for other things.
Parents said they didn't want to pay for Davis?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 pm 

They said $150,000 is within reasonable range, so I do not dare to aks if $180,000 is within reaosnble range. I do not want to make their life too hard.

Last edited by Ranran1116 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:33 pm 

ozarkhack wrote:
Ranran1116 wrote:
I have heard UCD is mainly intelletual property law,

Who are you talking to? This is ridiculous. The above poster is right that the supposed "specialties" of these two schools are irrelevant, but that you've "heard" this and haven't taken the very minimal effort needed to support/refute it suggests that you have done little to no actual legwork into this most important of decisions. It's none of my business, but I couldn't help but point it out.

As someone who's about to pay sticker at Davis, I think there can be arguments made for it — in my case: I'm determined to work in California, fiance's family lives there, and I expect IBR's public-service program to alleviate the debt. But none of these factors appear to apply to your case. So SMU is almost certainly the better choice for you.

But still u r paying sticker for Davis, u really think it's worth the money? I certainly would love to stay in CA.

Last edited by Ranran1116 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 pm 

Yet there is another factor I have to consider. I might go back to my home country to work after graduation. Maybe the name "UC" will help me land a better job than SMU in my home country?

Last edited by Ranran1116 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 pm 

I am also admitted to Pepperdine with $20,000 per year, but have to stay in the top 30% of the class.
The employment prospect of Pepperdine makes me worry.
Also, if I do not keep the scholarship, I will end up paying $160,000 altogether for it, in that case there is only $20,000 difference between Peperdine and Davis.
But maybe I should consider Pepperdine too?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:21 pm 

A top third requirement for a scholarship is probably too tough. See if they'll be a little more lenient, and that could maybe make sense.

Can't address how the schools would play in your country. But I imagine it's a non-issue. Maybe .. just maybe ... Davis gets whatever minor edge might exist.

As for me: I realize Davis at sticker is a gamble. But between some personal savings, my fiance's (hopeful) earnings and the prospect of the federal government's payment reduction/loan forgiveness program, I'm willing to take the chance.

Davis is a good school, and you would generally have better California job prospects than with a degree from Pepperdine (but less so, of course, than California-job-seeking grads from Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA & USC; luckily, it's a big state). But I don't know if I could say that it's worth sticker for most people who confront the decision.

The bottom line, though, is that if you truly want to work in California, you need to choose between Davis and Pepperdine. ... Have you been to Dallas? It's not for everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:31 pm 

ozarkhack wrote:
A top third requirement for a scholarship is probably too tough. See if they'll be a little more lenient, and that could maybe make sense.

Can't address how the schools would play in your country. But I imagine it's a non-issue. Maybe .. just maybe ... Davis gets whatever minor edge might exist.

As for me: I realize Davis at sticker is a gamble. But between some personal savings, my fiance's (hopeful) earnings and the prospect of the federal government's payment reduction/loan forgiveness program, I'm willing to take the chance.

Davis is a good school, and you would generally have better California job prospects than with a degree from Pepperdine (but less so, of course, than California-job-seeking grads from Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA & USC; luckily, it's a big state). But I don't know if I could say that it's worth sticker for most people who confront the decision.

The bottom line, though, is that if you truly want to work in California, you need to choose between Davis and Pepperdine. ... Have you been to Dallas? It's not for everybody.

Never been to Dallas, googled it, and the weather seems horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:48 am 

Ranran1116 wrote:
3. I have heard UCD is mainly intelletual property law

i have to ask, where the hell did you hear this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm 

Ranran1116 wrote:
They said $150,000 is within reasonable range, so I do not dare to aks if $180,000 is within reaosnble range. I do not want to make their life too hard.

Wow. You're not willing to take out even $10,000 of loans a year to go to school in California?! That small amount of money is meaningless to somebody who "wants biglaw" like you do. You can almost pay it off with a summer internship at a biglaw firm. You must not want to end up in California nearly as much as you say you do... hope you like Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:31 pm 

HITeacher2 wrote:
Ranran1116 wrote:

Wow. You're not willing to take out even $10,000 of loans a year to go to school in California?! That small amount of money is meaningless to somebody who "wants biglaw" like you do. You can almost pay it off with a summer internship at a biglaw firm. You must not want to end up in California nearly as much as you say you do... hope you like Texas.

Not everyone gets biglaw.

HTH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 am 

Yeah, that is the problem. like what u said, what worries me is to end up not in big law, then that is a huge waste of money.