Just got into Fordham!! Now confused...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
get it to x

Re: Just got into Fordham!! Now confused...

Postby get it to x » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm

sumus romani wrote:
get it to x wrote:Chances on BigLaw from Fordham drop dramatically if you're outside of the top 1/3 I believe. Rutgers grads have great placement in Jersey (and starting salaries slightly less than NYC) if that's a viable option for you. Philly is also an option although Camden has more of an effect there. NYC from Rutgers is very possible for mid-law and BigLaw is an option if you can get to the top of your class.
Depends on how much you want Biglaw and how much you're willing to go into debt. If name recognition means anything lawyers I've spoken to in NYC think very highly of Rutgers grads and Fordham grads although Rutgers grads are fewer in number b/c of the school's small size.

Fordham does not place anywhere near 1/3 into biglaw in this economy. While it is hard to come by verifiable data, people from MVP report on TLS that those schools are placing less than half into biglaw. Fordham has got to be way, way below that. Paying sticker at Fordham in this economy is a poor financial decision. If anyone has a verified source indicating Fordham's biglaw placement, I'd love to see it.

Agreed. That was just what I've known about Fordham all along. I'm sure with the downturn that 1/3 mark has slipped.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 pm

get it to x wrote:Fordham is also going to naturally push you in the biglaw direction because of the cost so you might want to factor that into your decision as well. Fordham's degree, from what I've seen, is not portable outside NY. With the legal market the way it is, I'd rather have the comfort of being able to place in three potential markets versus one. That's why I felt Brooklyn and SJU were very dangerous options without significant scholarship money right now. Fordham is another rung up but still presents the same problems if you're below that 1/3 mark. I think Rutgers gets a bad rap on here b/c of a) its rank and b) its location. From what I've seen, the school takes care of its own and its placement is solid if you want to make 6 figures but don't care where you're practicing. Its holistic admissions process and relative de-emphasis on numbers will keep that rank about where it is unless USNWR switches things up.

Hey guys, are you using the top 1/3 line as a necessary condition for biglaw, or something closer to a sufficient condition? There is a huge difference here. I am interested in seeing the data. If anyone has such data, I'd like to see it.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:I say Fordham as well. If you're looking for Biglaw (so much more so ITE) it'll be infinitely easier from Fordham than Rutgers. The only thing that concerns me is that you're comparing Fordham PT to Rutgers FT. Are you prepared to go PT? I know you can transfer to FT after a year but I've heard of firms looking down on people who go the PT route without actually working too. Unless you plan on having something lined up.

Curious as to where you heard that??????

On TLS so hardly the best of sources LOL. nothing official so I may just be qouting misinformation and if I am, I apologize. But it seems like a valid concern and I would expect an interviewer, be it for a legal position or any other to question why someone would go to a PT program without working at the same time or without having any other valid reason for choosing the PT route.

For what it's worth, a few professors and practicing lawyers told me much the opposite, that there is no real distinction between full and part time for hiring purposes.

jrod

Postby jrod » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Over 50% of the graduating class at Fordham last year was hired by firms where the median salary was 160K.

So at least a quarter are making market, with the other 25% probably making at least six figures.

I don't think Rutgers can compare to that.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 pm

IBOS!!!!!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm

jrod wrote:Over 50% of the graduating class at Fordham last year was hired by firms where the median salary was 160K.

So at least a quarter are making market, with the other 25% probably making at least six figures.

Stats fail.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 pm

jrod wrote:Over 50% of the graduating class at Fordham last year was hired by firms where the median salary was 160K.

how realistic do you think this is? i know fordham is supposed to be one of the more transparents schools with their statistics.

jrod

Postby jrod » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/17281.htm (the statistics in use here are simple)

vs.

--LinkRemoved--

Rutgers-Newark has a conspicuously absent median for its 94 private practitioners, however the 33% distribution to firms below ten employees says a lot.

Beyond that, only 42% of Rutgers is going private, whereas 70% of Fordham is. Furthermore, over 79% of Fordham's [i]higher[i] private practice proportion is practicing at firms with lawyers that are 101 lawyers or more, whereas at Rutgers 44% of their [i]smaller[i] private practice group are at firms with 101 lawyers or more. I use this metric because Rutgers does not publish their medians for obvious reasons.

Still waiting for an explanation of my "statistics fail."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm

jrod wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/17281.htm (the statistics in use here are simple)

vs.

--LinkRemoved--

Rutgers-Newark has a conspicuously absent median for its 94 private practitioners, however the 33% distribution to firms below ten employees says a lot.

Beyond that, only 42% of Rutgers is going private, whereas 70% of Fordham is. Furthermore, over 79% of Fordham's [i]higher[i] private practice proportion is practicing at firms with lawyers that are 101 lawyers or more, whereas at Rutgers 44% of their [i]smaller[i] private practice group are at firms with 101 lawyers or more. I use this metric because Rutgers does not publish their medians for obvious reasons.

The assumption that the other Fordham grads NOT making 160k are making 6 figures. Median is the middle number. You could have salaries of 160 160 160 160 40 40 40 and the median would be 160.

It's a $$ risk, essentially. Big risk, big reward. Someone who isn't risk averse should go to Fordham. But you could also end up making 40-50k with 200k debt.....

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 pm

keg411 wrote:
jrod wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/17281.htm (the statistics in use here are simple)

vs.

--LinkRemoved--

The assumption that the other Fordham grads NOT making 160k are making 6 figures. Median is the middle number. You could have salaries of 160 160 160 160 40 40 40 and the median would be 160.

It's a $$ risk, essentially. Big risk, big reward. Someone who isn't risk averse should go to Fordham. But you could also end up making 40-50k with 200k debt.....

Agreed, Keg. As for the 42% Rutgers vs. 70% Fordham going straight into private practice, I believe Rutgers places a heavy emphasis on clerking which, I'm guessing, is more feasible for Rutgers grads vs. Fordham grads because of the debt. One stat that is alittle disconcerting is the 33% of grads working in small firms. Maybe Rutgers 1_L or another current Rutgers student could chime in on that number.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm

get it to x, if you're not interested in a small firm at all, then don't go to Rutgers. Don't go to Fordham either. Re-take the LSAT and go T14 or so. 90% of lawyers do not work at BigLaw firms.

If you don't want to re-take and still ONLY want the big firm thing, then, go to Fordham, spend the $200k and take the risk. Work to off-set your expenses as much as possible. And have a contingency plan already in action first semester in case you don't do well.

If you don't want/don't care about the BigFirm thing, then save the $$$ and go to RU-N. And the contingency plan in Scenario A should be the primary plan in Scenario B.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 am

lmfao...smh
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”