(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Re: Which Florida school should I attend?

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:53 pm

None. If you want to work in NY you need to go to an NY school or a T-14 to maybe T-20.

UF would give you slightly better odds and I do mean slightly.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 pm

You're not getting to New York (absent family owns a business, dad's a partner, etc.) from those schools. Your only shot would be to graduate extremely high in your class, get a job with FL biglaw (what qualifies as biglaw in FL) and lateral somewhere.

Also, you would be insane to limit yourself to UF and UM. Apply to FSU as well.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm going to apply to FSU, and a couple NY schools to see what kind of scholarship $$ I get. But for the purpose of the question I only included UF and UM since I don't think any NY recruiters even look at FSU (whereas a couple at least visit the other two).

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:51 pm

i was in a similar position...if you want to work in NY..you need to go to a NY school..if you cant get into a decent NY school, go to UF, get amazing grades and transfer to a T14 (not that you should go intending to transfer, but if you can't get into any decent NY schools, this would be your best option)..PM me if you want more advice

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:09 pm

I agree, go to a NY school... but of the Florida schools, UF is slightly better, although Miami has been gaining some serious ground lately

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:25 pm

World B. Free wrote:although Miami has been gaining some serious ground lately

No

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm

UF>>FSU>>>>>>>>>>>UM>>STETSON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOVA>>>>>>>FLORIDA COASTAL>>BARRY>>>>>>>>>>AVE
To put it in perspective.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:39 pm

rad law wrote:
World B. Free wrote:although Miami has been gaining some serious ground lately

No

Does anyone have the link to the story where just the other year they asked half their 1L class to defer because they got so boned in the Dean switch?

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Cupidity wrote:UF>>FSU>>>>>>>>>>>UM>>STETSON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOVA>>>>>>>FLORIDA COASTAL>>BARRY>>>>>>>>>>AVE

Isn't there a school called Florida International? I seem to recall having seen that in a recent thread.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:57 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Cupidity wrote:UF>>FSU>>>>>>>>>>>UM>>STETSON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOVA>>>>>>>FLORIDA COASTAL>>BARRY>>>>>>>>>>AVE

Isn't there a school called Florida International? I seem to recall having seen that in a recent thread.

Oh yeah, btwn Nova and Stetson.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:04 pm

I would say more like

UF>FSU>>>>>UM>>>>>>STETSON>>>>>>>>>FIU>>>>>NOVA=FLORIDA COASTAL>>BARRY=AVE

Semantics though. I would say the odds for NY from UM = 0% and from UF ≈ 0%

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm

rad law wrote:You're not getting to New York (absent family owns a business, dad's a partner, etc.) from those schools. Your only shot would be to graduate extremely high in your class, get a job with FL biglaw (what qualifies as biglaw in FL) and lateral somewhere.

TITCR. If money is a factor, I would look into NYC schools like Rutgers Newark (cheap public) or scholarships at Cardozo/Brooklyn.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 pm

thats's really not true. FSU is not WIDELY regarded as being superior to Miami in SoFla. I think to a large extent UF, FSU, and Miami are peer schools. Then Stetson. Then Nova. Then FIU. Then it doesn't matter.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:31 pm

In this economy, if you aren't going to UF or FSU for in-state tuition or U. Miami or Stetson for substantial scholarship (and I mean close to full for Stetson), killself.

edit: clarity
Last edited by Grizz on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 pm

rad law wrote:In this economy, if you aren't going to UF or FSU for in-state or Miami or Stetson for substantial scholarship (and I mean close to full for Stetson), killself.

I'm from Miami obviously so I can only speak to the Miami legal market but I don't feel like FSU law is particularly well-regarded down here. It's sort of a two-horse town in Miami-- you either go to UF or you go to Miami. Obviously, as I've said before, neither of those schools are faring especially well in putting their kids into Miami BigLaw since quite a few T14 students are taking the few available BigLaw posts down here. ITE developments aside, FSU strikes me as being significantly less respected than those two schools down here. I can't speak to other parts of the state.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:38 pm

miamiman wrote:
rad law wrote:In this economy, if you aren't going to UF or FSU for in-state or Miami or Stetson for substantial scholarship (and I mean close to full for Stetson), killself.

I'm from Miami obviously so I can only speak to the Miami legal market but I don't feel like FSU law is particularly well-regarded down here. It's sort of a two-horse town in Miami-- you either go to UF or you go to Miami. Obviously, as I've said before, neither of those schools are faring especially well in putting their kids into Miami BigLaw since quite a few T14 students are taking the few available BigLaw posts down here. ITE developments aside, FSU strikes me as being significantly less respected than those two schools down here. I can't speak to other parts of the state.

I agree, but I meant in general, not for Miami.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 pm

miamiman wrote:

there's a lot of Florida outside of Miami

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:40 pm

rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote:

I agree, but I meant in general, not for Miami.

No, I know. I'm just commenting on the Cupididty food chain of sorts. FSU/UF >>>>> Miami is just not accurate. And I do think, US News rankings aside, that FSU is just not considered to be the same caliber of law school as UF. UF is top dawg as Bob Jerry loves to say.

Also, Bob Jerry is the shit. Literally, a baller.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:41 pm

delBarco wrote:
miamiman wrote:

Miami BigLaw is orders of magnitude bigger than Tampa/Orlando/Tallahassee combined.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm

miamiman wrote:
No, I know. I'm just commenting on the Cupididty food chain of sorts. FSU/UF >>>>> Miami is just not accurate. And I do think, US News rankings aside, that FSU is just not considered to be the same caliber of law school as UF. UF is top dawg as Bob Jerry loves to say.

Also, Bob Jerry is the shit. Literally, a baller.

They each have pros and cons. A more extensive alumni network would give it the edge I would think but other than that, they're about equal.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:43 pm

miamiman wrote:
delBarco wrote:
miamiman wrote:

Miami BigLaw is orders of magnitude bigger than Tampa/Orlando/Tallahassee combined.

So Florida employment = biglaw now?

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Biglaw is the most widely coveted entry level employment so...in a word, yes.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 pm

rad law wrote:In this economy, if you aren't going to UF or FSU for in-state tuition or U. Miami or Stetson for substantial scholarship (and I mean close to full for Stetson), killself.

edit: clarity

you annoy me

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:51 pm

miamiman wrote:Biglaw is the most widely coveted entry level employment so...in a word, yes.

In Florida? A state very unique in having such a widely dispersed population, no, midlaw and small law easy far far far outnumber biglaw in the number of opening legal positions statewide. FSU's reputation is at worst second everywhere in the state outside of Miami (and maybe tampa).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”