Everybody Hates Cooley, But...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Everybody Hates Cooley, But...

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:51 pm

BenJ wrote:Cooley has strict GPA requirements for their scholarships, and they section-stack like nobody's business. You will not retain the scholarship past 1L.

Without question the credited response. With a 161, you can get plenty of $$$ from other TTTs. Don't Cooley yourself on purpose.

vertigo959

Postby vertigo959 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:05 am

keg411 wrote:OP:
1) Rock the LSAT
2) Go to Michigan
3) $$$

Worse case, you can go to a Wayne or UDM with $$$. Just don't go to Cooley.

This!

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 am

pohlersc wrote:I would not come to this forum looking for sound advice regarding Cooley. The truth is, if nobody has visited the school, knows someone who has attended/is currently attending, or talked to people that actually know about the school, then the opinions of the people on this site are worthless (which they are). I browse this site frequently and it's just full of useless opinions.

I hate to pile on you, but if you're making your law school decision based on these factors, you're in for a world of pain. I'll put it simply - non-biased facts are MUCH more valuable than anecdotes and school tours. All schools paint a rosy picture when you visit, and personal anecdotes from students are pretty much worthless. I'm not even comfortable giving people advise based on MY 1L experiences at my school.

Facts and statistics (not produced by Cooley) > everything else

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:20 am

keg411 wrote:OP:
1) Rock the LSAT
2) Go to Michigan
3) $$$

Worse case, you can go to a Wayne or UDM with $$$. Just don't go to Cooley.

You fogot a few steps:

4) ???
5) Profit

stintez

Postby stintez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 am

BobSacamano wrote:
pohlersc wrote:I would not come to this forum looking for sound advice regarding Cooley. The truth is, if nobody has visited the school, knows someone who has attended/is currently attending, or talked to people that actually know about the school, then the opinions of the people on this site are worthless (which they are). I browse this site frequently and it's just full of useless opinions.

I hate to pile on you, but if you're making your law school decision based on these factors, you're in for a world of pain. I'll put it simply - non-biased facts are MUCH more valuable than anecdotes and school tours. All schools paint a rosy picture when you visit, and personal anecdotes from students are pretty much worthless. I'm not even comfortable giving people advise based on MY 1L experiences at my school.

+1

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:45 am

BobSacamano wrote:

+1. If Cooley is so great, why the need to create their own rankings?

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:06 am

BenJ wrote:Cooley has strict GPA requirements for their scholarships, and they section-stack like nobody's business. You will not retain the scholarship past 1L.

what does section-stack mean?

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 am

bmwhype2 wrote:

what does section-stack mean?

It means putting the scholarship people into the same section(s). Cooley's scholarships are tied to your GPA/class rank. Each class is graded on a curve, but by class, not across all 1Ls. If you put all the scholarship people in the same section (or couple of sections), then they are all competing against one another and you guarantee that some of them won't make the GPA cut to retain their scholarships.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:56 am

The smart thing to do is to figure out where you want to practice someday, and then figure out how Cooley is thought of in that location. Being a Michigan resident, I know for certain (not my opinion) that Cooley graduates are very successful in Michigan. I know a few people that are attending/have attended and I've gone to 2 Cooley Open Houses. The people that attend Cooley and have attended are the only people worth listening to. The opinions of the people on this site are nothing more than thoughts. Regarding claims that their scholarships come with impossible standards, that is simply false. Regarding the claim that Cooley "stacks" their classes with just the scholarship owners, that is also false. Cooley has 3 or so terms and people pick classes according to what is available. Your classes are not picked for you and you are not placed into classes filled with nothing but scholarship recipients. This claim is just false. But then again, the people making them have no real knowledge of how it works. If we are all working to become lawyers, we shouldn't be giving people bullshit advice, we should be helping each other out. This whole forum process is flawed anyway though, people just cruise the site and comment on posts without having any concrete knowledge of the topic. Therefore, if you want sound advice regarding Cooley, or any law school, contact attorneys that have attended, talk to current/former students, and get accurate information. Don't think that what people say on this site is true, most of it is probably useless anyway.

This blew my mind.

So, you're saying that a school which "invents" it's own ranking system to put it in league with YHS for no other than deceit is actually a good school?

Fuck it, good luck with dude.

Also, the obligatory:
--ImageRemoved--

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am

Dear OP, frankly, I would NOT give up the "good" job that you have in today's economy especially with family obligations. I think that your reasons to attend Cooley are sound. HOWEVER, don't go to Cooley or any law school thinking that you will keep your scholarship, which is not the case for many people. If,however, you can keep your job and not move, Cooley might be a good decision for you.

I should note that I am telling you thing despite the fact that I am not crazy about Cooley's curricuum. They just have too many requirements such as mandatory externships,which could interfere with your current job. However, I think that you can get very decent legal training, pass the bar and do well with Cooley based on the objectives that you posted.

Also, if you can keep your scholarship, don't discount this. Having no debt in today's environment is a BIG , BIG deal. Getting any legal job, especially with big law, is tenuous at best even attending top law schools. Having no debt can provide almost a guaranteed lifesaver and expose you to little economic risk. I think there will be a number of posters who go to very decent schools that will be "up a creek" with the debt that they will be incurring. Most of the people here are ranking fanatics. They think that if they go to a top T 15 law school , regardless of the tuition, they will get a great job. Most will be in for a really sad awakening.

Frankly, if I were going to law school today, I would make economics my top priority.This means either picking a school where I can also keep my current job or pick a school that gives the lowest overall debt,which usually is a state school as long as they had the curriculum and programs that I wanted.
Last edited by taxguy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

This is simple. With a 3.75 ans a 160 LSAT you would get good money at Michigan State, a much much better school than Cooley. If you got anything higher than a 160 you may get a fullride.I have friends that are from East Lansing and said that Cooley is an ok regarded school in the immediate (read: 1 mile radius) area. You have a shot at a solid MSU school with same $, take that.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am

What's up with everyone bumping all the months-old Cooley threads today

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 am

jayzon wrote:Because it produces its own ranking system, wherein it considers itself (and asks us to consider it) a Top Law School.

You know at the bar, where there are a group of relatively unattractive women? You wouldn't usually just start calling them "fat" or "ugly," because it is rude and in poor taste. But if one of them is wearing a tube top and teeny shorts that say "SEXY" on them, you'll probably point out to your buddies that she is, in fact, atrocious?

Cooley wears "SEXY" shorts.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm

The smart thing to do is to figure out where you want to practice someday, and then figure out how Cooley is thought of in that location. Being a Michigan resident, I know for certain (not my opinion) that Cooley graduates are very successful in Michigan. I know a few people that are attending/have attended and I've gone to 2 Cooley Open Houses. The people that attend Cooley and have attended are the only people worth listening to. The opinions of the people on this site are nothing more than thoughts. Regarding claims that their scholarships come with impossible standards, that is simply false. Regarding the claim that Cooley "stacks" their classes with just the scholarship owners, that is also false. Cooley has 3 or so terms and people pick classes according to what is available. Your classes are not picked for you and you are not placed into classes filled with nothing but scholarship recipients. This claim is just false. But then again, the people making them have no real knowledge of how it works. If we are all working to become lawyers, we shouldn't be giving people bullshit advice, we should be helping each other out. This whole forum process is flawed anyway though, people just cruise the site and comment on posts without having any concrete knowledge of the topic. Therefore, if you want sound advice regarding Cooley, or any law school, contact attorneys that have attended, talk to current/former students, and get accurate information. Don't think that what people say on this site is true, most of it is probably useless anyway.

Cooley administrative staff

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:00 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:

Cooley administrative staff

Hmmm, possible, but I didn't see anything about how they trump Yale due to library size so probably not.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Before quoting someone or posting a response, make sure you CHECK YO POST DATES.

Also, what is with the resurrection of Cooley threads today?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm

jwaters wrote:What's up with everyone bumping all the months-old Cooley threads today

Bildungsroman wrote:Before quoting someone or posting a response, make sure you CHECK YO POST DATES.

Also, what is with the resurrection of Cooley threads today?

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm

I find it very amusing that most people think that everyone who studies hard for the LSAT will get 160+. The usual advice seems to be retake the LSAT, study hard, and get over 160. HAHA. For most people, this isn't doable. The LSAT doesn't test regurgitated material where studying will usually guarantee success.

My son studied for the test like a dog. He took the Powerscore course. He read through most of the bibles and bombed the test. I know others in the same category. Yes, studying usually helps, but it doesn't guarantee a fabulous score.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm

no it doesnt. But it guarentees your best performance ( assuming you dont get serious test day jitters, mis bubble or whatnot). If you dont give it your best shot, why take it? If you can get a 160 without any prep- you should be able to score the same or better after learning some strategies.

As for Cooley or any other school. do your research before you make a decision. GO to the best school for you and your situtation. S

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

taxguy wrote:I find it very amusing that most people think that everyone who studies hard for the LSAT will get 160+. The usual advice seems to be retake the LSAT, study hard, and get over 160. HAHA. For most people, this isn't doable. The LSAT doesn't test regurgitated material where studying will usually guarantee success.

My son studied for the test like a dog. He took the Powerscore course. He read through most of the bibles and bombed the test. I know others in the same category. Yes, studying usually helps, but it doesn't guarantee a fabulous score.

You're right. It is at this point that you have to give up on law school though. You're son can probably get a higher paying job with his undergrad degree than a Cooley JD and he won't be up to his eyeballs in student loans. Its extremely discouraging for people who truly want to be lawyers, but the market isn't good enough to risk 100K+ on a TTTToilet school.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I know rankings aren't everything, but it would be hard for me to pass up on a full-ride from a T14.

--LinkRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
taxguy wrote:I find it very amusing that most people think that everyone who studies hard for the LSAT will get 160+. The usual advice seems to be retake the LSAT, study hard, and get over 160. HAHA. For most people, this isn't doable. The LSAT doesn't test regurgitated material where studying will usually guarantee success.

You're right. It is at this point that you have to give up on law school though. You're son can probably get a higher paying job with his undergrad degree than a Cooley JD and he won't be up to his eyeballs in student loans. Its extremely discouraging for people who truly want to be lawyers, but the market isn't good enough to risk 100K+ on a TTTToilet school.

Very few people who truly study their hardest are incapable of a 160+. If you can't get over a 160, law school probably isn't for you.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Very few people who truly study their hardest are incapable of a 160+. If you can't get over a 160, law school probably isn't for you.

What about people like me who take it twice and can't crack 160? Should I drop out? :oops:

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:57 am

I think OP should go to Cooley and get back to us in a year.
Last edited by Ragged on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 am

I think people on here hate on Cooley not because it is such a terrible school but because it tries to trick people into applying by saying how great the school is compared to other schools, aggressive advertising, and sending that scholly email out. A lot of people who go to Cooley probably think it is a much better school than it really is and that they are getting a great deal when in reality they are probably not. All schools hype themselves up but they don't have the same level of deception that Cooley does with their BS rankings and over-the-top advertising.

That said, the hate on TLS is amplified bc probably a solid majority on here want biglaw which is not really an option at Cooley. However, if you want a low paying local practice in Michigan, and don't mind people from higher ranked schools snubbing your degree, then Cooley might not be a horrible choice -- just not a very good one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”