Cornell Law versus UCLA Law for a LA native - HELP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doomed123

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law versus UCLA Law for a LA native - HELP!

Post by doomed123 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:35 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Over-reliance on lay prestige turns you into this guy: http://www.myharvardlawyer.us/
LOL

That can't be real... can it? That's the douchiest thing I've ever seen - and I've seen AutoAdmit.

travelfiend726

New

Post by travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Quine wrote:
travelfiend726 wrote:
Quine wrote:
travelfiend726 wrote:
Romo, my boyfriend said you must be confused. lol. The whole paragraph is about the NCA tournament in March Madness.

Otherwise, what is it about??

No shit. I'm sure he knew that. People on this board occasionally give LSAT-scaled scores to replies to demonstrate their approval/disapproval. Also, it's NCAA.
Obviously, I didn't know that was the "thing" to do. If you could get a below a 120 on LSAT’s, you’d get a 55 for your pretentious attitude in that post alone.
That "you must be confused. lol." line earned all of the contempt I could squeeze into my reply.

Hey, I *am* confused, and that's why I'm getting some opinions to help me sort it out. I don't come to the forum to battle with you on if I said NCA or NCAA or know exactly what everyone is talking about when they shout out random LSAT #'s. If you need to "win" in this thread, then fine. I just think your replies are unnecessarily negative. Or maybe you have a highly snarky sense of humor that I am not getting at this moment.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:19 pm

The comments here haven't focused on this, but I think it's at least worth thinking about the extremely different environment of these two schools. UCLA is a bigger law school, on the campus of a huge state university in a giant city. I'd personally much rather go to Cornell because I think the smaller class is nice and leads to more individualized attention.

As far as employment goes, the commenters here are probably a little too focused on the big prestigious firms. I think the bigger difference between the two schools is going to be with smaller and less name brand CA firms that will recruit at UCLA, but probably won't be bothering with Cornell. So, if you don't wind up going into biglaw at cornell you are more likely to have to compromise geographically.

travelfiend726

New

Post by travelfiend726 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Reedie wrote:The comments here haven't focused on this, but I think it's at least worth thinking about the extremely different environment of these two schools. UCLA is a bigger law school, on the campus of a huge state university in a giant city. I'd personally much rather go to Cornell because I think the smaller class is nice and leads to more individualized attention.

As far as employment goes, the commenters here are probably a little too focused on the big prestigious firms. I think the bigger difference between the two schools is going to be with smaller and less name brand CA firms that will recruit at UCLA, but probably won't be bothering with Cornell. So, if you don't wind up going into biglaw at cornell you are more likely to have to compromise geographically.
All good points - thank you! I did notice that the attention at Cornell was really amped up. I liked that vibe a lot. But overall I think I am still leaning toward UCLA due to practicality.

tranandy

New

Post by tranandy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 am

Reedie wrote:As far as employment goes, the commenters here are probably a little too focused on the big prestigious firms. I think the bigger difference between the two schools is going to be with smaller and less name brand CA firms that will recruit at UCLA, but probably won't be bothering with Cornell. So, if you don't wind up going into biglaw at cornell you are more likely to have to compromise geographically.
There are a few smaller CA firms that have a lot of prestige on the West Coast and are extremely selective, such as Irell & Manella and Munger Tolles. Neither firm has Cornell Law grads. 16 of Munger's 185 attorneys are from UCLA. Irell has 26 UCLA attorneys out of a total of 220.

My opinion is go with UCLA for the west coast and Cornell for the east coast all else being equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:25 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:
Reedie wrote:The comments here haven't focused on this, but I think it's at least worth thinking about the extremely different environment of these two schools. UCLA is a bigger law school, on the campus of a huge state university in a giant city. I'd personally much rather go to Cornell because I think the smaller class is nice and leads to more individualized attention.

All good points - thank you! I did notice that the attention at Cornell was really amped up. I liked that vibe a lot. But overall I think I am still leaning toward UCLA due to practicality.
I think you should go to UCLA for SoCal (it's likely cheaper too and I'm always biased towards strong state schools). However, if you really want to "get out" of Cali for a while I don't think Cornell will hurt you. You're in a pretty good position.

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:45 am

There's no doubt you should choose UCLA

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:46 am

blueprint87 wrote:There's no doubt you should choose UCLA
well that was the most useful bump of the week

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”