Cornell Law versus UCLA Law for a LA native - HELP!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
travelfiend726

Re: Cornell Law versus UCLA Law for a LA native - HELP!

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 am

PLATONiC wrote:If you care a lot about lay prestige, go to Cornell :D

Sadly, I do. I was just raised that way. But many on this thread seem to apply the difference in prestige isn't too great. I'm sure my mom would beg to differ! But ultimately it's about what's best for my career and networking is a factor that rivals prestige.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:05 am

semi-relevant....can you handle cornell weather? i.e. weeks straight of drizzle....and that's before it starts to snow.

that being said, i think how beautiful cornell is pretty much makes up for shitty weather if you know how to dress appropriately.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 am

travelfiend726 wrote:

Sadly, I do. I was just raised that way. But many on this thread seem to apply the difference in prestige isn't too great. I'm sure my mom would beg to differ! But ultimately it's about what's best for my career and networking is a factor that rivals prestige.

I've said this before. I've said this a million times. I'll say it again: Lay prestige is a concern for fools, or (at best) for people choosing between two schools that suit their needs almost identically (think NYU and CLS, not UCLA and Cornell). Unless you plan to hang out a shingle, you're going to be hired by lawyers, not laypeople. The average lawyer knows that UVA is a damn good law school; the average layperson thinks that Penn is in the Big Ten and Princeton has a top-10 law school.

Over-reliance on lay prestige turns you into this guy: http://www.myharvardlawyer.us/

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
travelfiend726 wrote:

I've said this before. I've said this a million times. I'll say it again: Lay prestige is a concern for fools, or (at best) for people choosing between two schools that suit their needs almost identically (think NYU and CLS, not UCLA and Cornell). Unless you plan to hang out a shingle, you're going to be hired by lawyers, not laypeople. The average lawyer knows that UVA is a damn good law school; the average layperson thinks that Penn is in the Big Ten and Princeton has a top-10 law school.

Over-reliance on lay prestige turns you into this guy: http://www.myharvardlawyer.us/

I mis-read your post. I thought you just were trying to say Law prestige. But I get your point now. And yes, related to my comment anyway since my mom's opinion would be lay prestige. Thanks for clarifying!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:50 am

UCLA

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 am

well you're in a tough choice here. i mean UCLA has the tradition and numerous accomplishments. However, Cornell shocked many people last year whereas UCLA was out of the running early on. I mean who would've thought Cornell would do what they did last March. yet I wonder if Cornell has enough to own the Ivy and show up year to year or will UCLA return to their old ways. But personally i think UCLA will only need a year or two to rebuild since they always tend to get top recruits and the loss of Wooden will certainly give someone to play for. I'd say go with UCLA, you can't beat the tradition and talent.

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:55 am

Norwood wrote:well you're in a tough choice here. i mean UCLA has the tradition and numerous accomplishments. However, Cornell shocked many people last year whereas UCLA was out of the running early on. I mean who would've thought Cornell would do what they did last March. yet I wonder if Cornell has enough to own the Ivy and show up year to year or will UCLA return to their old ways. But personally i think UCLA will only need a year or two to rebuild since they always tend to get top recruits and the loss of Wooden will certainly give someone to play for. I'd say go with UCLA, you can't beat the tradition and talent.

If it weren't for my boyfriend liking sports, I probably wouldn't have had any idea what you just said.

Funny!

MorningHood

Postby MorningHood » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:18 am

Norwood wrote:well you're in a tough choice here. i mean UCLA has the tradition and numerous accomplishments. However, Cornell shocked many people last year whereas UCLA was out of the running early on. I mean who would've thought Cornell would do what they did last March. yet I wonder if Cornell has enough to own the Ivy and show up year to year or will UCLA return to their old ways. But personally i think UCLA will only need a year or two to rebuild since they always tend to get top recruits and the loss of Wooden will certainly give someone to play for. I'd say go with UCLA, you can't beat the tradition and talent.

I have no clue what you just said.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 am

166. Solid, but if you want T14, you'll need a re-take.

But lol at the girls not understanding it.

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 am

romothesavior wrote:

Romo, my boyfriend said you must be confused. lol. The whole paragraph is about the NCA tournament in March Madness.

Otherwise, what is it about??

Quine

Postby Quine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:51 am

travelfiend726 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Romo, my boyfriend said you must be confused. lol. The whole paragraph is about the NCA tournament in March Madness.

No shit. I'm sure he knew that. People on this board occasionally give LSAT-scaled scores to replies to demonstrate their approval/disapproval. Also, it's NCAA.

Guest080

Postby Guest080 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:56 am

Having visited both schools, I'd say that if you're an LA native, then you should go with UCLA. You probably won't have trouble with getting a job with either degree, but you should consider your quality of life on each campus. If you feel like you need the sun and a mild climate to be happy, then stay in LA. If you feel like coming up to the mountains in New York State and you really like snow, then go with Cornell.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:59 am

Even accounting for lay prestige, what is more important to your mom and impressing strangers at the bars, going to a prestigious school or getting a prestigious law job upon graduation.

Now that I think about it, if you are trying to pick up someone in a bar in LA then UCLA will be the better conversation starter.

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Quine wrote:
travelfiend726 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

No shit. I'm sure he knew that. People on this board occasionally give LSAT-scaled scores to replies to demonstrate their approval/disapproval. Also, it's NCAA.

Obviously, I didn't know that was the "thing" to do. If you could get a below a 120 on LSAT’s, you’d get a 55 for your pretentious attitude in that post alone.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:13 pm

I love this comment. Cornell was really good in the tournament!

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:14 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:Obviously, I didn't know that was the "thing" to do. If you could get a below a 120 on LSAT’s, you’d get a 55 for your pretentious attitude in that post alone.

Below a 120 on what possession of LSAT? The suspense is killing me.

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Lol, I just realized... I wonder if I should skim the Cornell waitlist forum thread and see if any of those people are the ones telling me to go to UCLA...

Thanks for all your help, people.

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:35 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:Lol, I just realized... I wonder if I should skim the Cornell waitlist forum thread and see if any of those people are the ones telling me to go to UCLA...

You should be going to UCLA.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:Lol, I just realized... I wonder if I should skim the Cornell waitlist forum thread and see if any of those people are the ones telling me to go to UCLA...

FWIW, I'm on the UCLA waitlist and I think you should go to UCLA. I get the impression that you really don't want to though. Why? Did you get a bad vibe from the school or something?

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:59 pm

forty-two wrote:

I'm on the UCLA waitlist and I think you should go to UCLA. I get the impression that you really don't want to though. Why? Did you get a bad vibe from the school or something?

Well, I appreciate that :)

For the last three years, I've been wanting to get out of here. More backstory is that I've been here for 7 years. I work here and have for the past 3. As you can tell from my user name, I like to try new places. It's a gorgeous campus but maybe I've seen too much of the ugly inner-workings of bureacracy and CA budget crises. However, I'm trying to disassociate that with UCLA Law. The actual law school is something new to me and it's really nice. I ultimately do want to do what's best for my career, but I'm not picturing myself living in Westwood again. Then again, I had like a week to decide. I got off the UCLA waitlist last week. My only other bad vibe was that I received almost no attention as an undergrad. The career services people at the law school seem really helpful though, so I'm trying to erase that previous memory. Cornell's orientation showered me with a lot of student attention and concern. Of course, that's their job at those events anyway...

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:00 pm

So it sounds like maybe you don't want to stay in LA for work after all.

travelfiend726

Postby travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:02 pm

mallard wrote:So it sounds like maybe you don't want to stay in LA for work after all.

"Get out of here" meaning UCLA. But you are right, I'm not positive about staying in LA. I haven't found any other city that I really like better though, with the exception of Vancouver and Toronto, lol. Don't think that counts since I still want to be in my own country.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:26 pm

You do not seem to know where you want to end up in the end. Go to Cornell.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I'm on the UCLA waitlist and I think you should go to UCLA. I get the impression that you really don't want to though. Why? Did you get a bad vibe from the school or something?

Well, I appreciate that :)

For the last three years, I've been wanting to get out of here. More backstory is that I've been here for 7 years. I work here and have for the past 3. As you can tell from my user name, I like to try new places. It's a gorgeous campus but maybe I've seen too much of the ugly inner-workings of bureacracy and CA budget crises. However, I'm trying to disassociate that with UCLA Law. The actual law school is something new to me and it's really nice. I ultimately do want to do what's best for my career, but I'm not picturing myself living in Westwood again. Then again, I had like a week to decide. I got off the UCLA waitlist last week. My only other bad vibe was that I received almost no attention as an undergrad. The career services people at the law school seem really helpful though, so I'm trying to erase that previous memory. Cornell's orientation showered me with a lot of student attention and concern. Of course, that's their job at those events anyway...

If your gut's telling you to GTFO, then do so. If you get to Cornell and realize you want to work in LA, there will be options. Maybe you'll have fewer networking opportunities, but you've got ties to LA. You should be okay. Also, as previously noted, if you decide you don't want to work in LA, Cornell will put you in a better position in most other places. If you were dead set on LA I'd say UCLA, but if you're unsure. I think Cornell will give you the most options.

Disclosure: I go to Cornell and love it and am therefore totally biased.

Quine

Postby Quine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 pm

travelfiend726 wrote:
Quine wrote:
travelfiend726 wrote:

Obviously, I didn't know that was the "thing" to do. If you could get a below a 120 on LSAT’s, you’d get a 55 for your pretentious attitude in that post alone.

That "you must be confused. lol." line earned all of the contempt I could squeeze into my reply.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”