Settling for T4 school then trasferring.. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vcole

New

Settling for T4 school then trasferring..

Post by vcole » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm

I need some opinions in regards to how I am decidingto attend law school. I applies late to over ten different law schools with the intention to study very hard, place in the top ten percent and then transfer out to a T1 school specializing in international/public policy law. My LSAT score was very low and I decided that I wasn't going to retake it because doing so woudl only hurt me more for lack of studyin time in combo with my inability to excel on standardized tests. My GPA is decent at 3.54 with a major in philosophy.

I am steering toward attending Florida Coastal Law School who offered me a 10K scholarship. I live in FL right now so attending there seems like the smart economic choice especially since I have NO intentions of graduating from there. However I am worried that the bad reputation that this school has received will only hurt my transfer application when I decide to transfer out.

Am I making a smart decision? I would like some honest insight and opinions on my future plans. Also please take into consideration that I do NOT plan on settling for a GPA lower than a 3.9 in law school; considering the fact that I may loose my scholarhsip/have poor performance is out of the question...

historyholly

New

Re: Settling for T4 school then trasferring..

Post by historyholly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Is this for real?

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:32 pm

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:32 pm

vcole wrote:
Am I making a smart decision?

No, your decision would be completely retarded
Last edited by D. H2Oman on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

vcole wrote:I need some opinions in regards to how I am decidingto attend law school. I applies late to over ten different law schools with the intention to study very hard, place in the top ten percent and then transfer out to a T1 school specializing in international/public policy law. My LSAT score was very low and I decided that I wasn't going to retake it because doing so woudl only hurt me more for lack of studyin time in combo with my inability to excel on standardized tests. My GPA is decent at 3.54 with a major in philosophy.

I am steering toward attending Florida Coastal Law School who offered me a 10K scholarship. I live in FL right now so attending there seems like the smart economic choice especially since I have NO intentions of graduating from there. However I am worried that the bad reputation that this school has received will only hurt my transfer application when I decide to transfer out.

Am I making a smart decision? I would like some honest insight and opinions on my future plans. Also please take into consideration that I do NOT plan on settling for a GPA lower than a 3.9 in law school; considering the fact that I may loose my scholarhsip/have poor performance is out of the question...
If you aren't smart enough or motivated enough to get a decent LSAT, why do you presume to be smart enough and motivated enough to get top 10%, even as a shithole like florida coastal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Guys, it's ok. OP does NOT plan on settling for a GPA lower than a 3.9 in law school.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Guys, it's ok. OP does NOT plan on settling for a GPA lower than a 3.9 in law school.

Oh shit RC fail by us!!!!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

You'll be fine. Everybody else in your class is planning on being in the bottom. You're the only one smart enough to plan on getting good grades!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Just a 3.9?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VA LawDog

New

Post by VA LawDog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:39 pm

vcole wrote:I am steering toward attending Florida Coastal Law School who offered me a 10K scholarship. I live in FL right now so attending there seems like the smart economic choice...
FL Coastal...smart economic choice - definitely a flame!

okay734

New

Post by okay734 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:01 pm

From what I've heard, everyone who attends Florida Coastal intends to kick butt and transfer after 1L. Few actually do.

This LS has a horrible reputation in Florida, so I would not go there. What if you don't do well, and cannot transfer? Then drop out, or you,re stuck there. Do you know any Florida Coastal grads? This is a very bad decision, unless you have connections in Florida who can guarantee you a job.

Your LSAT must be pretty low. Can you wait a year, retake and get into a better school? What about FSU? You'd be in a much better position there. Anyway, I think Fl Coastal is a waste of time and money.

Why not go to Barry?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm

okay734 wrote:Why not go to Barry?
Oh stop it.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:22 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Guys, it's ok. OP does NOT plan on settling for a GPA lower than a 3.9 in law school.

Oh shit RC fail by us!!!!
Bwah ha ha ha

F to the LAME

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:26 pm

With a 3.54 LSDAS GPA, I don't see how that plan could possibly fail.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 pm

I know I'm kind of late, but I can already feel the impending wrath of TLS...

vcole

New

Post by vcole » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for the supprt guys I really feel. I said that it was my goal and i usually get what I want. My GPA was low because i ended uo taking 21 credits my last semster of uindergrad so tha I could graduate in three years and start school right off. My major was philosophy which if you dint know is considered one of the most if not the most difficult major for undergrad and for sure the best major for law school prep as considered by admission reps.

With that said I was only asking whether transferring out from a school like coastal law was a smart choice. I wasnt askng on your judgments on my short term goals, their sole puprose was to provide background info.

Anyays I am now considering RWU more now since tey offered me more money and they specialize in publice interest law.

P.S.- The mockery isn't ver much appreciated.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Don't plan on attending a law school you would not be happy graduating from. It is a lot less risky to take a year improving your LSAT score than it is gambling on the idea you will finish at the top of your class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 pm

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm

vcole wrote:I was only asking whether transferring out from a school like coastal law was a smart choice.
Yes, transferring from Florida Coastal is a wise choice.

Going there with the intent to transfer, however, is a major boner.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Don't plan on attending a law school you would not be happy graduating from. It is a lot less risky to take a year improving your LSAT score than it is gambling on the idea you will finish at the top of your class.
This. If you don't take this excellent advice, make sure you drop out right away when you don't make the GPA to transfer to somewhere worth it.

Coastal is an open sore of a school.

Also intl. law is a field almost devoid of jobs.

HTH

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Philosophy is the hardest undergraduate major? Excuse me while I black out for a moment.

You're fucking kidding yourself. If you can't score decently enough on the LSAT to at least go to a T3 how do you intend on scoring into the top 10% in law school when most of your grades will be based on a TEST.

Get outta here with that bullshit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:04 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
vcole wrote: My major was philosophy which if you dint know is considered one of the most if not the most difficult major for undergrad and for sure the best major for law school prep as considered by admission reps.
Hrm, I have no idea where you go, but where I go computer science & engineering are considered the most difficult majors. In fact, I know people who tried CS, figured it required too much work, and switched to philosophy. It's more difficult to transfer than to get in the first time around.
Everything, literally everything, is a more difficult major than philosophy.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:05 pm

vcole wrote:Thanks for the supprt guys I really feel. I said that it was my goal and i usually get what I want.
So did you not want a high LSAT?

Also, flame.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Honestly, I'm being completely serious when I say that if I were you, I would not attend law school right now. I would either do something else or take some time off to study for the LSAT and retake it. Everyone who attends law school plans on doing well, many of them usually get what they want, and many of them have "good" reasons for not having a very good LSAT/GPA out of undergrad. There is a 90% chance that you will not end up in the top 10% of your class. You should never attend a law school that you would not be happy about graduating from. Your chances of being able to transfer are slim. Also, with the way the legal market is, coupled with the debt you will acquire, it's to risky. If you are serious about law school, you should raise your LSAT score.

The reason people are being rude/mocking you is because the assumptions you make seem really ridiculous to anyone who has done a lot of research about law school and the legal market in general.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:07 pm

And despite being a philosophy major myself, I LOL'd when I saw the line about it being a difficult major.

Very entertaining flame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”