JD/MBA Santa Clara

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DaMan9000

JD/MBA Santa Clara

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey,

So I finished my 1L year at Santa Clara and I took my GMAT (710) and received admission into the MBA program as well. Santa Clara does not have a full time program, but their Executive and Part Time MBA are ranked in the Top15. If I want to practice in the Bay Area, or even LA, do you think it is worth it to pay my deposit for the MBA? I have no work experience, as I went to law school straight from undergrad (Top20 school). How about if I wanted to practice in NYC someday?

Thanks

merichard87

Re: JD/MBA Santa Clara

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm

What exactly are you planning on doing with the MBA? If you want to be a lawyer you need a law degree. If you want to work in business you would do well with an MBA. I have yet to run across a job description that requests a JD and MBA. And if Santa Clara doesnt have a full time MBA program that might be a signal of something. Just sayin.

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

To add: I have been lucky enough to have parents that are able to finance my law and business (if i choose) degrees. With that said, is it still worth it?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:47 pm

The more education the better, what kind of law?

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 pm

It makes sense that they don't have a full time program because most of the people that enroll are employees from companies located in Silicon Valley. I just feel that an MBA would open up some more doors for me and add a new dimension to my resume. I don't know if that is correct however.

What kind of Law? It's hard for me to specify exactly what type of law because I haven't taken classes in Transactions, or Mergers and Acqs, etc so I really do not know what they are all about. However, with the classes I took in undergrad, I would say that Corp Litigation would be a good fit. I feel that if I explore the MBA fields a bit more, I'll find something I like.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Your GMAT score is high enough for some of the top B-schools, and Santa Clara is not even top 50, so with a little bit of work experience, you could get into a top 10 B-school with that score instead of "wasting" it on an unranked school (using TLS logic here, not sure if it really applies to B-school though).

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

jarofsoup wrote:The more education the better, what kind of law?

This is not always true. Why get a degree you're not going to use? Just to say you have it?

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:05 pm

I agree and I really thought about applying to GSB (Stanford) and Berkley too see if I could MBA full time and JD part-time. However, i have NO work experience. I graduated and went straight off to law school. Stanford, even with an 800, is out of the question. Would you suggest that I stick with the JD, work for a bit, and then apply to one of these schools after a couple of years? Would companies see that, at the age of 25, if I have an JD/MBA, isn't that something worth investing on? Or is the school name not helping my situation

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:08 pm

merichard87 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:The more education the better, what kind of law?

This is not always true. Why get a degree you're not going to use? Just to say you have it?

+1, Definitely, not necessarily true unless you really have no clue what to do, even then the cost might not be worth it.

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 pm

The cost is thankfully being taken care of by my parents though, so debt is something that I am not worried about. Is the SCU MBA worth it for CA (Bay Area or LA) or should i wait?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 pm

A law firm does not care that you have an MBA. It may add some value for an in-house position but I seriously doubt it would be a make or break situation. Either you want to be a lawyer or you want to work in business, pick one. If all else fails finish your JD and then revisit the MBA in a few years. Maybe you could break into consulting.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:26 pm

DaMan9000 wrote:I agree and I really thought about applying to GSB (Stanford) and Berkley too see if I could MBA full time and JD part-time. However, i have NO work experience. I graduated and went straight off to law school. Stanford, even with an 800, is out of the question. Would you suggest that I stick with the JD, work for a bit, and then apply to one of these schools after a couple of years? Would companies see that, at the age of 25, if I have an JD/MBA, isn't that something worth investing on? Or is the school name not helping my situation

I'd think the prestige of a Stanford or Berkeley or other top MBA would far outshine a JD from SCU, at least on paper, but then again it really comes down to what you want to do. If you want to practice law alone, I don't think an MBA will matter much. Regardless of cost, your investing your life into any degree so if I were you, I'd get work experience with a JD and then apply to an elite B-school with some experience, and hopefully a better sense of what you might want to do with an MBA. I wouldn't waste my time/life getting a professional degree I might never use, especially when you're already in law school.

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:41 pm

In 2013 (graduation date), if the economy improves a little, and I finish in the top 25-40% of my class for the JD, what kind of salary do you think I could get in SF with a JD/MBA?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm

DaMan9000 wrote:It makes sense that they don't have a full time program because most of the people that enroll are employees from companies located in Silicon Valley. I just feel that an MBA would open up some more doors for me and add a new dimension to my resume. I don't know if that is correct however.

What kind of Law? It's hard for me to specify exactly what type of law because I haven't taken classes in Transactions, or Mergers and Acqs, etc so I really do not know what they are all about. However, with the classes I took in undergrad, I would say that Corp Litigation would be a good fit. I feel that if I explore the MBA fields a bit more, I'll find something I like.

So Silicon Valley is the only place that has working professionals? I don't follow this logic. SCU is not known for its business school.

As for an MBA being beneficial, it probably would be to a certain extent and if your parents are 100% paying for it and you love learning and love school, then I can't see how it would be a detrimental career decision. That being said, it's more time til you start your law career and it may end up not really helping, especially an MBA coming from SCU.

If you got into Stanford's MBA program you could alternate years maybe! That would be a good investment...apart from you seemingly not having any idea why you want the JD/MBA in the first place??

DaMan9000

Postby DaMan9000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Ok, let me clarify. Companies that are HQ'd in Silicon Valley send their employees to SCU to go to MBA school part time. A company would rather have their working professionals, who do not have an MBA, continue to work for their company while going to night school nearby. That is why they have good programs in for Part Time and Exec. All the people who cannot get into a Part Time or Exec at Stanford GSB end up going to SCU because it is located nearby. With re: to why a JDMBA, I feel that Contract Law, or Products Liability, or even Tax Law would suit me and I feel that an MBA would add that much more to my understanding. I think it would be a great a supplement, and for no personal cost, and one extra year (esp in this recession) I feel that getting an MBA would be a great idea. I just feel that SCU may not be the best place to get it

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 pm

I think you should contact some lawyers or law firms to see whether their lawyers that work in products liability and those other areas you mentioned find JD/MBAs useful.

Also, you just said SV companies send their employees to Santa Clara for MBAs part time so they can still work. Those people already have jobs and just need an extra credential. You are not in that category. I would not advise an MBA from Santa Clara.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”