Need advice from people who know what they are talking about

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dewrober

Need advice from people who know what they are talking about

Postby dewrober » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 pm

6 months ago I had my heart set on going to law school, regardless of cost. After reading posts on this message board for a few weeks, I was completely turned off to the idea (lack of employment prospects, mediocre salary, I've read all this on TLS before). However, I graduated from undergrad a month ago and have been solidly job hunting for months now with minimal luck. I am from Michigan and got partial scholarships to respectable in-state schools but like I said, I had turned a 180 and wasn't interested anymore so I didn't pay the deposits and have lost my seat at these schools. Here is where I currently stand:

I really need a job or a serious plan for my future and with a degree in Economics, it seems like the only thing I am able to get is a crappy job in sales. This is not the career track I want to head down. I am still on the wait list for several T2 schools part-time programs and have decided to reconsider. First off, I understand the amount of debt I will be in and the fact that I will likely not make myself "rich" taking this route. However, after realizing my alternatives (or lack there of) to law school, the idea of having a respectable career with a real salary is very appealing. Anyways, one of the schools I am considering is DePaul. Again, I would attend the PT program and would be working while going to school. How will going to school PT will affect my chances of getting summer internships? I know it is very important to pad the resume as much as possible.

Also, one more quick question. I have family in Wyoming and would be able to work out getting in-state tuition at Wyoming law. I am wondering if anyone knows how well a degree from Wyoming will do in the Denver area.

I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me on this. Thanks!

traehekat

Re: Need advice from people who know what they are talking about

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:08 pm

ITT: Prospective law student changes mind based on TLS fear mongering. Sadness ensues. :(

In all seriousness, TLS is a great place for a lot of things but you shouldn't let it direct your career choice. Yes, the economy sucks and yes, it is tough for a lot of law students/graduates right now. What you have to do is decide if you think law is really for you. It sounds like you are just looking at law for lack of a better option, but please correct me if I am wrong because I don't want to be presumptuous. Having a "respectable career" with a "real salary" are not the best reasons to pursue law - lots of careers are respectable and have real salaries!

If you think law is really for you, I would hold off on this cycle and give it another go next year (possibly with retaking the LSAT). Sounds like you may have let some good options go, unfortunately, so there is no point to "settle" with another school just because you want to start law school now.

As far as Wyoming, I'm sure it does well in state but for Denver you are competing with Colorado, Denver, and other T14 graduates who are looking at secondary markets in the current economy.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:01 pm

dewrober wrote:6 months ago I had my heart set on going to law school, regardless of cost. After reading posts on this message board for a few weeks, I was completely turned off to the idea (lack of employment prospects, mediocre salary, I've read all this on TLS before). However, I graduated from undergrad a month ago and have been solidly job hunting for months now with minimal luck. I am from Michigan and got partial scholarships to respectable in-state schools but like I said, I had turned a 180 and wasn't interested anymore so I didn't pay the deposits and have lost my seat at these schools. Here is where I currently stand:

I really need a job or a serious plan for my future and with a degree in Economics, it seems like the only thing I am able to get is a crappy job in sales. This is not the career track I want to head down. I am still on the wait list for several T2 schools part-time programs and have decided to reconsider. First off, I understand the amount of debt I will be in and the fact that I will likely not make myself "rich" taking this route. However, after realizing my alternatives (or lack there of) to law school, the idea of having a respectable career with a real salary is very appealing. Anyways, one of the schools I am considering is DePaul. Again, I would attend the PT program and would be working while going to school. How will going to school PT will affect my chances of getting summer internships? I know it is very important to pad the resume as much as possible.

Also, one more quick question. I have family in Wyoming and would be able to work out getting in-state tuition at Wyoming law. I am wondering if anyone knows how well a degree from Wyoming will do in the Denver area.

I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me on this. Thanks!

:shock: at first i thought this meant you got a 180 on your LSAT... :shock: :shock:

DePaul is pretty decent for Chicago small law...PT programs are considered less prestigious than FT...if you can do FT, do it.

As for Wyoming law in Denver, it ain't gonna happen. Wyoming law in Wyoming though is nearly a sure bet! They dominate the "market", have brain-drain problems in the state and have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country! If you just want to practice law with a respectable salary to start, go to Wyoming and get a job there!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm

traehekat wrote:If you think law is really for you, I would hold off on this cycle and give it another go next year (possibly with retaking the LSAT).

+1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

I'd offer advice but I don't know what I'm talking about. Ask my wife.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 pm

kalvano wrote:I'd offer advice but I don't know what I'm talking about. Ask my wife.

That's a big +1 here.

okay734

Postby okay734 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Go to Wyoming. Practice in Wyoming. Less competition, more opportunities!

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Regionality wrote:
dewrober wrote:I had turned a 180

:shock: at first i thought this meant you got a 180 on your LSAT... :shock: :shock:

+1
Maybe we're a little too law school/TLS-centered?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”