Mich v Corn v UCLA v IU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

dilemma. hey at least they're good options...

Cornell 10K a year
17%
Michigan Sticker
63%
IU - Bloomington full tuition
11%
UCLA - 15K a year
9%

Total votes: 108

chopswithafist

Mich v Corn v UCLA v IU

Postby chopswithafist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Not entirely sure where I want to live/work in the future. More likely Midwest (I'm a hoosier) than anywhere else but even living in this region is probably just a 50 percent chance.
Last edited by chopswithafist on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chopswithafist

Re: What would you do?

Postby chopswithafist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 pm

forgot to mention - any input on why you picked what you did would be appreciated..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 pm

What kind of job do you want? i.e. Are you dead set on biglaw?

chopswithafist

Postby chopswithafist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm

good point..should have mentioned almost 100 percent set on biglaw

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm

chopswithafist wrote:good point..should have mentioned almost 100 percent set on biglaw

Then have fun in Ann Arbor.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Michigan and IUB are your best options, IMO.

Based on your preference for biglaw, I voted Michigan.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 pm

ggocat wrote:Michigan and IUB are your best options, IMO.

+1. But if you are content with a smaller firm job in Indianapolis, then IU would be a great pick.

romothesavior

Re: Mich v Corn v UCLA v IU

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:59 pm

And fwiw, I see no reason to even be considering Cornell or UCLA unless are set on NY or LA, which you are not. The minimal difference in cost is far exceeded by the portability of a Michigan degree.

chopswithafist

Postby chopswithafist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ggocat wrote:Michigan and IUB are your best options, IMO.

+1. But if you are content with a smaller firm job in Indianapolis, then IU would be a great pick.

Yeah, and I suppose that's part of the dilemma. I've lived in Indianapolis and really love it...just don't want to be limited to one state forever (I have interest in going east). Is paying for one of the others worth the portability it provides is the real question I suppose..

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

If you get biglaw, paying off the Michigan debt won't really be that big of a deal. If you choose the debt and finish poorly at Michigan, you still might be able to find something decent in Indiana.

It depends on how young you are and how much other debt you have. Taking on that much debt is not always a horrible decision.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
chopswithafist wrote:good point..should have mentioned almost 100 percent set on biglaw

Then have fun in Ann Arbor.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Mich v Corn v UCLA v IU

Corn is delicious... But go Wolverines!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 pm

On the other hand, IU basketball sucks and Michigan football does too.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:23 am

Voted for Michigan. I chose Cornell over Michigan, but with more $, and I want to work in the NE. I think it is the obvious choice here. I fail to see how IUB is a viable option with your other choices. With your connections to Indiana, I think you are better off going to a higher ranked school and being less likely to be shut out of a solid job if your grades are not stellar. With a 2/3 schlarship maybe consider IUB, otherwise Michigan seems the best bet.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 am

KMaine wrote:Voted for Michigan. I chose Cornell over Michigan, but with more $, and I want to work in the NE. I think it is the obvious choice here. I fail to see how IUB is a viable option with your other choices. With your connections to Indiana, I think you are better off going to a higher ranked school and being less likely to be shut out of a solid job if your grades are not stellar. With a 2/3 schlarship maybe consider IUB, otherwise Michigan seems the best bet.

I think OP has a full ride to IU-B.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 am

IUB full ride isn't a bad deal, especially since you can plop that on your resume :D

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:37 am

Your decision is between Mich and IUB. A full-ride would be nice, but if you're not sure you want to stay in Indiana or even the Midwest (you said you might want to head East) and you're pretty set on Big Law ... I voted Mich.

chopswithafist wrote:Is paying for one of the others worth the portability it provides is the real question I suppose..

This is not your only question - Mich won't just provide portability to other markets it will also provide access to elite positions in your primary market. If you want Big Law, it will be worth it IMO.

chopswithafist

Postby chopswithafist » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Yes, it's essentially between Mich and IU and has been; I put the other schools up there in case I was missing something.
It's just hard to bail on IU: family history there, especially at the law school, and just an overall love for IU in general..also,parents really want me to go to bloomington, but I don't think they understand the significance of a t-14..
gotta go mich i think though, thanks again for the input.

romothesavior wrote:On the other hand, IU basketball sucks

this btw is still a very touchy subject......
haha
we'll be back

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:51 pm

chopswithafist wrote:Thanks to everyone for the responses. Yes, it's essentially between Mich and IU and has been; I put the other schools up there in case I was missing something.
It's just hard to bail on IU: family history there, especially at the law school, and just an overall love for IU in general..also,parents really want me to go to bloomington, but I don't think they understand the significance of a t-14..
gotta go mich i think though, thanks again for the input.

romothesavior wrote:On the other hand, IU basketball sucks

this btw is still a very touchy subject......
haha
we'll be back

Just enjoy the view from second place. Bruce Weber & Co. will win the conference within two years.

By the way... if you want to stay in Indiana, you should take the Indiana offer. If you want to go elsewhere, then take Michigan. But don't look at this as a "must pick the T14" situation.

okay734

Postby okay734 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Michigan! :wink:

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
KMaine wrote:Voted for Michigan. I chose Cornell over Michigan, but with more $, and I want to work in the NE. I think it is the obvious choice here. I fail to see how IUB is a viable option with your other choices. With your connections to Indiana, I think you are better off going to a higher ranked school and being less likely to be shut out of a solid job if your grades are not stellar. With a 2/3 schlarship maybe consider IUB, otherwise Michigan seems the best bet.

My bad. In that case it is a matter of how much you want to risk on the greater chance at Biglaw.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:

My bad. In that case it is a matter of how much you want to risk on the greater chance at Biglaw.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Michigan is hands down the best program on the list.

IF (and it's a big if) you can stomach the debt, that's your choice.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:24 pm

I voted Michigan. From only a pure cost factor = Indy. You only go to LS once = pick Michigan. ($10K at C is not much considering how their tuition keeps going up)

Core

Postby Core » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:39 pm

As said above, Michigan is best for your goals. Enjoy AA!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”