Which school between Harvard and UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cigrainger

Re: Which school between Harvard and UVA

Postby cigrainger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
Solerpower wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Solerpower wrote:Good for you. That's not what i'm going to do, however. I plan on applying to schools I plan on attending for various personal reasons which include a S.O. applying to graduate schools where I am applying. I'm simply trying to get an answer; an attempt which apparently is lost.

it's not lost you're just being stupid. apparently willfully stupid.

I apply to 20 schools, S.O. applies to 40. I'm not following your advice, get over it. That is not stupid, it's what's best for me.

i am not telling you to attend a school that is a bad fit. i am giving you some very useful advice on how to not get fucked on aid. not getting fucked on aid is what's best for everyone. i can't think of anyone who's better off getting fucked on aid. i guess someone whose parents are footing the bill who hates their parents?

He can't figure out that (a) If he has a strong enough LSAT to get into those schools, he will probably get fee waivers; or (b) The likelihood is that this method to avoid being fucked by aid may cost more in the short term, but can sometimes return as much as 10,000% over the course of your three years at law school.

Solerpower

Postby Solerpower » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
Solerpower wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Solerpower wrote:Good for you. That's not what i'm going to do, however. I plan on applying to schools I plan on attending for various personal reasons which include a S.O. applying to graduate schools where I am applying. I'm simply trying to get an answer; an attempt which apparently is lost.

it's not lost you're just being stupid. apparently willfully stupid.

I apply to 20 schools, S.O. applies to 40. I'm not following your advice, get over it. That is not stupid, it's what's best for me.

i am not telling you to attend a school that is a bad fit. i am giving you some very useful advice on how to not get fucked on aid. not getting fucked on aid is what's best for everyone. i can't think of anyone who's better off getting fucked on aid. i guess someone whose parents are footing the bill who hates their parents?

I care about aid, but aid is irrelevant to what i'm asking. I just wanted to know which school between Harvard and UVA is best for where I want to practice and you told me to apply to every school in between without truly answering my question.

I'll address aid when I need too.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Harvard

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Solerpower wrote:
Hiei wrote:All the schools in the range you mention are not particularly known for placing into the regions you desire to practice. That being said I would definitely put Columbia and Chicago over NYU and Berkeley for the areas where you want to end up. Columbia and Chicago have a stronger nationwide reputation than NYU and Berkeley (really for where you want to practice UVA's rep is going to be at least as good as NYU and Boalt). Honestly for practicing in the south UVA + ties isn't going to be significantly outclassed by any schools except HYS. Basically Chicago and Columbia are the two schools you need to apply to in that range based off of your criteria.

Thank you so much. This is what I wanted to hear. I appreciate your help.

See my first post.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 pm

What a terrible poster. I'll be sure to avoid you from now on. I hope you go to a UVA at sticker and get biglaw pwn'd and think, man... I wish I had spend $70 to apply to Cornell.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Harvard

+1[quote]

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Solerpower wrote:I care about aid, but aid is irrelevant to what i'm asking. I just wanted to know which school between Harvard and UVA is best for where I want to practice and you told me to apply to every school in between without truly answering my question.

I'll address aid when I need too.

ugh i really hate it when i get bitchy on TLS but...

YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT AID WHEN YOU APPLY. you can't negotiate aid with competing offers from schools you didn't apply to, and any other form of aid negotiation is toothless.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Solerpower wrote:
Hiei wrote:All the schools in the range you mention are not particularly known for placing into the regions you desire to practice. That being said I would definitely put Columbia and Chicago over NYU and Berkeley for the areas where you want to end up. Columbia and Chicago have a stronger nationwide reputation than NYU and Berkeley (really for where you want to practice UVA's rep is going to be at least as good as NYU and Boalt). Honestly for practicing in the south UVA + ties isn't going to be significantly outclassed by any schools except HYS. Basically Chicago and Columbia are the two schools you need to apply to in that range based off of your criteria.

Thank you so much. This is what I wanted to hear. I appreciate your help.

You're welcome. I have almost identical tastes for where I want to practice post graduation so I've looked into this a good bit.

Solerpower

Postby Solerpower » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:53 pm

He can't figure out that (a) If he has a strong enough LSAT to get into those schools, he will probably get fee waivers; or (b) The likelihood is that this method to avoid being fucked by aid may cost more in the short term, but can sometimes return as much as 10,000% over the course of your three years at law school.

Can you not understand a basic question. So I apply to every school in between and get accepted to every school in between. Then what? I'll be asking which school is best between Harvard and UVA for my desired practice area.

The only difference here is that I don't plan on applying to every school in between for personal reasons, stop telling me what to do in that aspect, and I'm simply asking which school is the BEST. Not which ones are great, but the best.

It's so simple and yet you insist on making it difficult.

Topher

Postby Topher » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Solerpower wrote:You applied to what, 20 schools? I don't have $1000 to drop on applications. That would be frivolous and irresponsible.

It's dumb to limit myself to schools I would only attend? I understand schools have scholarship reciprocity, but give me a break. I'm trying to get feel for T10 schools and you tell me to apply everywhere. Is that the best choice? Sure. But not what i'm asking.

Well, you see, this thread would be easier to give advice to you in if we had, you know, scores of yours with which to gauge your likelihood of acceptance, since your problem is with "frivolous and irresponsible" spending. Quite honestly, however, if you think you have the scores to get into UVa or, better yet, Harvard then you ought to wait until the admissions time period to determine what is frivolous spending. I applied to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown and only paid for 3 (Harvard, Columbia, and Georgetown - who I applied to before they even officially opened up their admissions process) thanks to my recieving score-based fee waivers for the other 4. I also recieved fee waivers from Michigan, Chicago, Pennsylvania, Vanderbilt, Ohio St, William & Mary, George Washington, and a plethors of other lower ranked schools. So my applying to 7 schools, all of which were in the Top 14 and one of which I had no desire to attend at all (Duke), cost me only about $180 in application fees. My applying Early Decision to Georgetown - which precluded me from knowing whether I got into any other schools that I applied to, paid for or otherwise, which I suppose means I lost $115 in application fees - also saved me money on the seat deposits for Georgetown. Basically what I am saying is that you ought to wait for reality before asking others for conjecture.

So your attitude is not so much meeting resistance from the other members of these boards because they just don't like you or your question, but rather because you are getting angry about answers to a question that simply exudes ignorance of the entire process itself.

Solerpower

Postby Solerpower » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:What a terrible poster. I'll be sure to avoid you from now on. I hope you go to a UVA at sticker and get biglaw pwn'd and think, man... I wish I had spend $70 to apply to Cornell.

You literally have sat in the corner like a drunk old man and just randomly spluttered out your opinion. I'll be avoiding you as well.

The tread is so simple. All I wanted to know is which T10 school is best for the criteria is listed. I KNOW AID IS PART OF THE PROCESS. I KNOW THEY'RE ALL GREAT SCHOOLS. I just wanted to know which is best.

One person answered that question.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Solerpower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What a terrible poster. I'll be sure to avoid you from now on. I hope you go to a UVA at sticker and get biglaw pwn'd and think, man... I wish I had spend $70 to apply to Cornell.

You literally have sat in the corner like a drunk old man and just randomly spluttered out your opinion. I'll be avoiding you as well.

The tread is so simple. All I wanted to know is which T10 school is best for the criteria is listed. I KNOW AID IS PART OF THE PROCESS. I KNOW THEY'RE ALL GREAT SCHOOLS. I just wanted to know which is best.

Are you trying to challenge pdaddy, germx, and canadianwolf for the 2010 Worst Poster of the Year Award?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:59 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Solerpower wrote:

Are you trying to challenge pdaddy, germx, and canadianwolf for the 2010 Worst Poster of the Year Award?

Wait, we do those? Where, the lounge? I've been missing out...

I haven't seen an official thread for it, but I'd be down.

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 pm

And we're done here. OP, don't repost this question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”