Hasting's Tower

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A'nold

Hasting's Tower

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 pm

I have a wife and a baby. Anyone know if any families move in? As a transfer student (if I end up being accepted and attending), I feel I need to live near other law students to get to know my classmates.

And, I'm sure they don't allow them, but does anyone know their pet policy? Thanks.

malfurion

Re: Hasting's Tower

Postby malfurion » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:05 pm

This page has some info for ya:
--LinkRemoved--

"Children are welcome at the tower; however, residents with children should understand that noise must be held to a minimum and that neighborhood play areas are limited. Pets are not allowed."

Man, I have to lol everytime I see housing prices in these cities like SF/NY/DC.. so ridiculous. Here in FL I have a house with a pool and my mortgage is in the range of their 250 sqft apartments, haha. And everyone else in my neighborhood is abandoning their homes and getting foreclosed on because even that is too expensive around here now. But if I end up getting into some of the schools I want to attend, I'll be the one paying the crazy prices for a studio apt... what the hell am I doing with my life. :P

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:22 pm

And just to be clear, the Tenderloin is not a great area (e.g. crack, homelessness). The buildings themselves are semi-fortresses, but it's just not a super great area. I've never felt unsafe down there in the day, but I can see why others might feel unsafe at night.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's a lot of money. Wow.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 pm

A'nold wrote:I have a wife and a baby. Anyone know if any families move in? As a transfer student (if I end up being accepted and attending), I feel I need to live near other law students to get to know my classmates.

And, I'm sure they don't allow them, but does anyone know their pet policy? Thanks.

hope to see you next year

(won't be living in tower though)

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:31 pm

If you have a baby, I wouldn't highly recommend the 'loin. During the day, as an adult, I've never felt particularly unsafe there; however, nighttime can get pretty sketch. It's not a great place for kids either, really. My family moved away from near there when I was small due to needle-in-the-park/playing-on-fire-escapes issues.

You can get an apartment of the same quality and in a better area for the same price, or less, in other places in the city.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Where would you guys recommend? I want to be close to the school but want safety and I was thinking that b/c of the security that the tower would be the safest choice.......

bass08

Postby bass08 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

I wouldn't live near the school if you can avoid it. You could live in other areas in the city and just take muni or bart to campus. you could get there in 15-20 minutes from many places in the city, and your quality of life will be much better, in my opinion. you'll see enough homeless people and crackheads as it is, no need put yourself in a shitty neighborhood.

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 pm

I could not fathom living in the Tenderloin with a wife and child.

ps, proper apostrophe usage is fairly important in law school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:16 pm

davis3l wrote:I could not fathom living in the Tenderloin with a wife and a child.

So is proper article usage.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 pm

davis3l wrote:I could not fathom living in the Tenderloin with a wife and child.

Lulz. Hastings', there you go man.

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:33 am

im_blue wrote:
davis3l wrote:I could not fathom living in the Tenderloin with a wife and a child.

So is proper article usage.

Except "Hasting's" is way more lulz worthy...at least this UC Davi's student thinks so.

A'nold, if you want to be within close walking distance of Hastings, the tower might be your best option. But I think since you have a family, it would be worth it to live somewhere nicer, even if it requires taking Bart or Muni to class.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”