regional CA - Davis, ND, Fordham WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NayBoer

Re: regional CA - Davis, ND, Fordham WUSTL

Postby NayBoer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

finalaspects wrote:im just worried that most big law firms have that cut off at top 20-25. which WUSTL falls under but not davis... of course it would have been nice to be accepted to a t14 but i have not been.
What makes this complicated is that Davis isn't really regional to LA, so even though it's a California school, it has less home-field advantage than USC or whatever.

Did you not get into any schools in Southern California? Or did you get money to any of these schools?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:57 pm

NayBoer wrote:
finalaspects wrote:im just worried that most big law firms have that cut off at top 20-25. which WUSTL falls under but not davis... of course it would have been nice to be accepted to a t14 but i have not been.
What makes this complicated is that Davis isn't really regional to LA, so even though it's a California school, it has less home-field advantage than USC or whatever.

Did you not get into any schools in Southern California? Or did you get money to any of these schools?

no acceptances to any schools in socal, but i only applied to t50. so did not apply to loyola, usd, etc.

money is minimal and with the COL and tuition factored in, they're pretty much even in costs.

i can't seem to decide but i have to make up my mind by the end of this month to start planning my move.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 pm

I guess you just need to pick based on where you're willing to end up besides LA.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:11 pm

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:13 pm

NayBoer wrote:I guess you just need to pick based on where you're willing to end up besides LA.

well if that's the case, to me washington DC, new york, san francisco, chicago are all the same after los angeles. WUSTL places better in majority of these locations....

hopefully i'll end up in the top 20% of my class to transfer to socal, but i know i can't rely on this. oh the dilemma.....

also i might sound crazy but St. Louis gets very cold in the winter. i think 20F. Yes, i've been spoiled by california weather my entire life but weather should not be a reason to not go to a law school right? might be even fun to live in a place that has actual seasons.

with that said, thanks for all your advice guys. i am leaning towards WUSTL at the moment.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I had a very similar choice to make and picked Davis, but here's my $0.02:

If your first priority is working in CA, go to Davis.

If your first priority is biglaw and your second priority is doing it in CA, go to ND for Fordham.

If your first priority is hanging out with Nelly, Jagged Edge and the St. Lunatics, go to WUSTL, where they are on the faculty.

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

I've posted this before in other threads. There seems to be a misconception that NorCal is the "home region" for Davis. Based on my experience, this isn't the case at all. NorCal isn't really a home market for Davis any more than SoCal.

Bottom line, SoCal and NorCal firms view Davis the same. For OCI purposes, I felt like Davis students were treated equally by SF and LA firms. That is, it wasn't really a case of SF firms being more likely than LA firms to hire Davis students.

Also the fellow above me probably gave the best advice in this thread.

arden

Postby arden » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 pm

If I were you I would rank them for CA as follows: ND, Davis, WUSTL, and then much lower, Fordham. ND carries a much better name, even in CA, than Davis. You will be missing out on the connections, but if you are from CA, that shouldn't be a big deal. If not for CA then it would be WUSTL next, but in CA, WUSTL is completely unknown. Fordham is not really a viable option for the West Coast.

It appears that you want to choose WUSTL, and I have no idea why. You said ND was 24, but it is 22, with only Illinois and GW between it and WUSTL. That's sacraficing an awful lot for a temporary 2 spot difference. You should talk to some CA hiring partners and just listen to what they have to say without trying to influence their decision

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

arden wrote:If I were you I would rank them for CA as follows: ND, Davis, WUSTL, and then much lower, Fordham. ND carries a much better name, even in CA, than Davis. You will be missing out on the connections, but if you are from CA, that shouldn't be a big deal. If not for CA then it would be WUSTL next, but in CA, WUSTL is completely unknown. Fordham is not really a viable option for the West Coast.

It appears that you want to choose WUSTL, and I have no idea why. You said ND was 24, but it is 22, with only Illinois and GW between it and WUSTL. That's sacraficing an awful lot for a temporary 2 spot difference. You should talk to some CA hiring partners and just listen to what they have to say without trying to influence their decision

ORLY?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 pm

arden wrote:If I were you I would rank them for CA as follows: ND, Davis, WUSTL, and then much lower, Fordham. ND carries a much better name, even in CA, than Davis. You will be missing out on the connections, but if you are from CA, that shouldn't be a big deal. If not for CA then it would be WUSTL next, but in CA, WUSTL is completely unknown. Fordham is not really a viable option for the West Coast.

Blatantly false. Notttre Dame isn't even that highly respected in the Midwest, let alone Cali. It is a good school, but your odds of landing a CA job are higher from Davis.

I know this thread is two weeks old, but go to Davis.

notme

Postby notme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

I had to choose between Davis and Notre Dame from California and chose Notre Dame for the reasons above. Romo, give the ND beating a rest. Different picture, same shit.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm

notme wrote:I had to choose between Davis and Notre Dame from California and chose Notre Dame for the reasons above. Romo, give the ND beating a rest. Different picture, same shit.

I wouldn't feel the need to beat them down if their students on TLS weren't such rancid trolls. I try to temper my love of WUSTL with, umm... reality. You guys should try it.

I'm so sick of hearing how everyone in Cali is enamored with Notre Dame. I swear to god I hear it in every goddamn ND-related thread. The only reason people in California know about Notre Dame is because USC beats the shit out of them every year in football.

ND is a peer school with UIUC and WUSTL. Congratu-f*cking-lations. It is a good school... what do you want, a cookie? I still wouldn't step foot in that festering hell-hole of community known as SouTTTh Bend ever again.

Only good thing to come out of ND? Rudy. Classic movie. /rant

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
notme wrote:I had to choose between Davis and Notre Dame from California and chose Notre Dame for the reasons above. Romo, give the ND beating a rest. Different picture, same shit.

I wouldn't feel the need to beat them down if their students on TLS weren't such rancid trolls. I try to temper my love of WUSTL with, umm... reality. You guys should try it.

I'm so sick of hearing how everyone in Cali is enamored with Notre Dame. I swear to god I hear it in every goddamn ND-related thread. The only reason people in California know about Notre Dame is because USC beats the shit out of them every year in football.

ND is a peer school with UIUC and WUSTL. Congratu-f*cking-lations. It is a good school... what do you want, a cookie? I still wouldn't step foot in that festering hell-hole of community known as SouTTTh Bend ever again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Can't stop laughing!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 am

romothesavior wrote:

ha

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:26 am

romothesavior wrote:

hahah classic romo, always gettin waay too aggressive on ND. love it

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 am

nyyankees wrote:hahah classic romo, always gettin waay too aggressive on ND. love it

Only when provoked... :D

I really do think ND is a good school. They have decent portability for a school with its ranking, and they have solid placement. I personally would never go there (the Catholic thing and South Bend is terrible), but it is an objectively good school and I have no problem with the school itself. Their trolls are just downright insufferable.

Anyways, sorry for the thread derail (not that this thread is really still going anywhere). OP, give us an update on what you've decided on once you have made your choice.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Romo its official your a WUSTL troll...

Your right about South Bend being a shit hole, but for some one coming from CA, St. Louis is just as shitty as south bend. Ya St. Louis has an arc and some tall buildings but its still as ghetto, cold, and shitty as South bend. I also agree that WUSTL and ND are peer schools, but not for CA. I do not know exactly why this is, but WUSTL is relatively unheard of in CA while Notre Dame is extremely well known. Yes it is probably because of the football team, but regardless of the reason we know of it and we are aware that it is a good school on par with USC and UCLA. A simple comparison of the geographic region of the graduating classes shows ND places nearly 3 times as many students per class in CA than WUSTL, making it their 2nd Biggest market.

The point- while ND and WUSTL are absolutely peers every where else in the country, they are not perceived as peers in CA. Also, I really don't understand how you could even comment on ND's perception in CA as some one coming from the midwest (St. Louis i think- bias??).

OP, all money equal, If i were you I would first decide if I had any desire to work in NYC. If so choose fordham, if not then drop it. Next I would narrow it down to Davis and ND. Despite what I said above, I loved WUSTL as a school and it was very hard for me to turn it down but as I stated it is just not well known here in CA. Choosing between davis and ND is hard. Personally I would choose davis for Norcal and ND for socal. Good Luck!

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Having lived in CA from 1985 to the present, I'm a little confused why people think that ND is so highly regarded here. It's on par with WUSTL. Period. ND might have a little more lay prestige, but who cares? You're going to be getting hired by lawyers, not college football fans from the '90s.

And both of them will make getting a job far less convenient than Davis (though not impossible).

WassAnch

Postby WassAnch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:27 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Your right about South Bend being a shit hole, but for some one coming from CA, St. Louis is just as shitty as south bend. Ya St. Louis has an arc and some tall buildings but its still as ghetto, cold, and shitty as South bend. I also agree that WUSTL and ND are peer schools, but not for CA. I do not know exactly why this is, but WUSTL is relatively unheard of in CA while Notre Dame is extremely well known. Yes it is probably because of the football team, but regardless of the reason we know of it and we are aware that it is a good school on par with USC and UCLA. A simple comparison of the geographic region of the graduating classes shows ND places nearly 3 times as many students per class in CA than WUSTL, making it their 2nd Biggest market.

The point- while ND and WUSTL are absolutely peers every where else in the country, they are not perceived as peers in CA. Also, I really don't understand how you could even comment on ND's perception in CA as some one coming from the midwest (St. Louis i think- bias??).

OP, all money equal, If i were you I would first decide if I had any desire to work in NYC. If so choose fordham, if not then drop it. Next I would narrow it down to Davis and ND. Despite what I said above, I loved WUSTL as a school and it was very hard for me to turn it down but as I stated it is just not well known here in CA. Choosing between davis and ND is hard. Personally I would choose davis for Norcal and ND for socal. Good Luck!

How did you come to the conclusion that ND sends nearly three times as many graduates to CA? 24 ND grads took the bar exam in CA last year compared with 21 from WUSTL.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 pm

WassAnch wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

How did you come to the conclusion that ND sends nearly three times as many graduates to CA? 24 ND grads took the bar exam in CA last year compared with 21 from WUSTL.

That was a mistake, after looking at it again ND places 18% in the Pacific where as WUSTL places 8%. The pacific is defined as- CA, WA, OR. Looking into it further, CA makes up the vast vast majority of the students studying in the pacific. Assuming the same is true for WUSTL, ND still places more than twice as many students/class (percentage-wise) in CA than WUSTL. If that assumption is not true, WUSTL places even less students than mentioned.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:01 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Having lived in CA from 1985 to the present, I'm a little confused why people think that ND is so highly regarded here. It's on par with WUSTL. Period. ND might have a little more lay prestige, but who cares? You're going to be getting hired by lawyers, not college football fans from the '90s.

And both of them will make getting a job far less convenient than Davis (though not impossible).

I am not talking about lay prestige.

If most CA residents knew of WUSTL then they would probably think its on par. The problem is that very few people in CA actually have heard of WUSTL where as most people have heard of Notre Dame.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:24 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Having lived in CA from 1985 to the present, I'm a little confused why people think that ND is so highly regarded here. It's on par with WUSTL. Period. ND might have a little more lay prestige, but who cares? You're going to be getting hired by lawyers, not college football fans from the '90s.

If most CA residents knew of WUSTL then they would probably think its on par. The problem is that very few people in CA actually have heard of WUSTL where as most people have heard of Notre Dame.

You seem to be talking precisely about lay prestige, unless you really intend to tell me that most lawyers in California have never heard of WashU.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:35 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

You seem to be talking precisely about lay prestige, unless you really intend to tell me that most lawyers in California have never heard of WashU.

I was specifically responding to this quote of romo's,

" I'm so sick of hearing how everyone in Cali is enamored with Notre Dame. I swear to god I hear it in every goddamn ND-related thread. The only reason people in California know about Notre Dame is because USC beats the shit out of them every year in football."

I am sure after going through the application process and working in the field CA attorneys have heard of WUSTL. As I said I am not talking about lay prestige. A quick look at the numbers show they are peer schools. Now it could be that people from CA developed a familiarity of ND while growing up and hold it up on a pedestal above WUSTL but, I am not arguing about lay prestige. I am simply stating most people in CA have no idea about WUSTL.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:30 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Romo its official your a WUSTL troll...

Romo rails against Notre Dame's pathetic trolls. Therefore, Romo is a WUSTL troll. You must have done really well on the LSAT.

And if you'll check my posting history, you'll see that few people on TLS love their school more than I do. But you'll also see that I am very fair when it comes to comparing WUSTL to other schools. I told OP to go to Davis. I told another poster to take UIUC over WUSTL. I told another to take UMN over WUSTL. And the list goes on and on. If by troll you mean I post in a lot of WUSTL threads, then I'm guilty as charged. But if by troll you mean I make unsubstantiated claims about WUSTL and act like it is god's gift to man, then you are sorely mistaken.

Also, hyperbole fail for you. I know people in Cali have heard of ND. I'm not fucking retarded.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”