Hastings OR Chapman?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sparclette

Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:41 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm

UC Irvine. :wink:

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Some familiar refrains here:

-If you want Biglaw, retake
-SoCal school for SoCal, NoCal school for NoCal.
-Beware of scholarship stipulations from Chapman
-Hastings probably isn't worth sticker
-If there is a choice in the middle here, it might be the best.

sparclette

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:22 pm

___
Last edited by sparclette on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:34 pm

bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.

Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm

DerrickRose is correct (and a baller, if I may say so myself).

If you want to work in Orange County, I think you'd be nuts to choose Hastings.

If you want to work in northern California (especially San Francisco) and you're not already in serious debt, I would choose Hastings.

If you want to work in LA, you may have reason to stress, since Loyola may have been your best option (unless you're ok paying for Hastings).

Where do you want to work?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Norwood wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.

Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.

Uh, if it wasn't for UCH's mess up w/ USNWR it would probably still be a top 25 school. I applied to transfer to UCH but not UCD. I would definitely not say that UCD is a superior school.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Norwood wrote:

[strike]Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.[/strike]

sparclette

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:50 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:53 pm

sparclette wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Norwood wrote:

Uh, if it wasn't for UCH's mess up w/ USNWR it would probably still be a top 25 school. I applied to transfer to UCH but not UCD. I would definitely not say that UCD is a superior school.

-Grew up in the Bay Area, went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, work in SF... I want to go to Davis for a change of scenery/ Hastings is in a horrible area I think that for quality of life Davis is much, much better. SF is really expensive to live in. I have no idea where I want to work after school.

In all honesty, you really owe it to yourself to decide where you'd prefer to live and work after law school. Your decision very much depends on it, as these are regional schools (Chapman more so than Hastings, of course).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

sparclette wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Norwood wrote:

-Grew up in the Bay Area, went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, work in SF... I want to go to Davis for a change of scenery/ Hastings is in a horrible area I think that for quality of life Davis is much, much better. SF is really expensive to live in. I have no idea where I want to work after school.

Stay in SF and go to UCH. Deal with the Davis WL if it happens. No reason to move to SoCal since you have no connections down there and don't even know if you'd like it.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 pm

:mrgreen: good luck with davis :mrgreen:

sparclette

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

See: Hastings v. Chapman in terms of where grads work.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.

sparclette

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Keep it coming! Thank you SO much. So many resources I wasn't aware of.

sparclette

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.

Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Special thanks to my homey ozarkhack for pointing this out a few weeks ago which was the final factor that made it Hastings over UC Davis for me.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:30 pm

sparclette wrote:Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

Maybe. Fiance has a couple of job leads in Sacramento. If she lands one of 'em, all bets are off.

And glad I could help, A'nold. Though I hate to think I might've shooed someone away from transferring to/attending Davis. Eh. Won't matter anyway when you get into Berkeley, right?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
sparclette wrote:Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

Maybe. Fiance has a couple of job leads in Sacramento. If she lands one of 'em, all bets are off.

And glad I could help, A'nold. Though I hate to think I might've shooed someone away from transferring to/attending Davis. Eh. Won't matter anyway when you get into Berkeley, right?

Well, draw from a bag of 10 names and you have one card in the bag, you may get chosen, haha.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Neither great for biglaw, but obviously Hastings' small chance is still much better than Chapman's almost no chance.

Chapman will track you into OC firms generally doing smaller legal issues. Hastings keeps you in better contention for the bigger firms, but chances in this economy are not great.

Does Chapman have stipulations to keep the scholarship? How much will cost of living be over 3 years? I'm not sure that $60k for Chapman outweighs $180k for Hastings. It's certainly a more manageable level, but it's not as though 3 years at Chapman are costless.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:18 pm

After glancing through UCH's PICAP, I came across this:

Hastings PICAP wrote:No assistance will be provided in the repayment of a graduate’s undergraduate loans, Alternative loans, Grad PLUS Loans, Bar Study Loans, family, or personal loans.

Since the vast majority of what you borrow for law school is in the form of a Grad PLUS loan, doesn't this mean that PICAP is nigh worthless? Or am I reading it wrong?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 pm

I guess that means they'll repay Stafford, which is up to $20.5k per year. Meaning you are on the hook for whatever you take over that in PLUS loans. If the $60k number ITT is right, that means (times 3) PICAP wouldn't cover ~$120k out of ~$180k.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

NayBoer wrote:I guess that means they'll repay Stafford, which is up to $20.5k per year. Meaning you are on the hook for whatever you take over that in PLUS loans. If the $60k number ITT is right, that means (times 3) PICAP wouldn't cover ~$120k out of ~$180k.

Yeah, they'll cover Stafford, Perkins, and loans issued by UCH itself. I just checked UCD's LRAP which only applies if you make under $60k but does cover Grad PLUS.

EDIT: UCH not covering Grad PLUS seems to be the exception? I mean I haven't looked at LRAP's outside the T14 but I would assume that they usually cover Grad PLUS loans.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Wait, what's the point of an LRAP that doesn't cover IBR payments for grad plus, lol? I probably should have looked into this more, haha. Oh well, I'd still rather go to Hastings than Davis, for other reasons.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”