Hastings OR Chapman?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:41 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm

UC Irvine. :wink:

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Some familiar refrains here:

-If you want Biglaw, retake
-SoCal school for SoCal, NoCal school for NoCal.
-Beware of scholarship stipulations from Chapman
-Hastings probably isn't worth sticker
-If there is a choice in the middle here, it might be the best.

sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:22 pm

___
Last edited by sparclette on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.

Norwood
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby Norwood » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:34 pm

bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.


Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby ViP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm

DerrickRose is correct (and a baller, if I may say so myself).

If you want to work in Orange County, I think you'd be nuts to choose Hastings.

If you want to work in northern California (especially San Francisco) and you're not already in serious debt, I would choose Hastings.

If you want to work in LA, you may have reason to stress, since Loyola may have been your best option (unless you're ok paying for Hastings).

Where do you want to work?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Norwood wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.


Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.


Uh, if it wasn't for UCH's mess up w/ USNWR it would probably still be a top 25 school. I applied to transfer to UCH but not UCD. I would definitely not say that UCD is a superior school.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Norwood wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.


[strike]Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.[/strike]

sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:50 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby ViP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:53 pm

sparclette wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Norwood wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.


Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.


Uh, if it wasn't for UCH's mess up w/ USNWR it would probably still be a top 25 school. I applied to transfer to UCH but not UCD. I would definitely not say that UCD is a superior school.



-Grew up in the Bay Area, went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, work in SF... I want to go to Davis for a change of scenery/ Hastings is in a horrible area I think that for quality of life Davis is much, much better. SF is really expensive to live in. I have no idea where I want to work after school.


In all honesty, you really owe it to yourself to decide where you'd prefer to live and work after law school. Your decision very much depends on it, as these are regional schools (Chapman more so than Hastings, of course).

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

sparclette wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Norwood wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why are you crossing your fingers for the UCD waitlist? UCD is pretty much equivalent to UCH.


Cost of living in Davis vs. SF and the opposite trend in rankings don't make them pretty much equivalents.


Uh, if it wasn't for UCH's mess up w/ USNWR it would probably still be a top 25 school. I applied to transfer to UCH but not UCD. I would definitely not say that UCD is a superior school.



-Grew up in the Bay Area, went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, work in SF... I want to go to Davis for a change of scenery/ Hastings is in a horrible area I think that for quality of life Davis is much, much better. SF is really expensive to live in. I have no idea where I want to work after school.


Stay in SF and go to UCH. Deal with the Davis WL if it happens. No reason to move to SoCal since you have no connections down there and don't even know if you'd like it.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby eth3n » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 pm

:mrgreen: good luck with davis :mrgreen:

sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 pm

__
Last edited by sparclette on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

See: Hastings v. Chapman in terms of where grads work.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.

sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Keep it coming! Thank you SO much. So many resources I wasn't aware of.

sparclette
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

See: Hastings v. Chapman in terms of where grads work.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.


Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:24 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

See: Hastings v. Chapman in terms of where grads work.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.


Special thanks to my homey ozarkhack for pointing this out a few weeks ago which was the final factor that made it Hastings over UC Davis for me.

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:30 pm

sparclette wrote:Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

Maybe. Fiance has a couple of job leads in Sacramento. If she lands one of 'em, all bets are off.

And glad I could help, A'nold. Though I hate to think I might've shooed someone away from transferring to/attending Davis. Eh. Won't matter anyway when you get into Berkeley, right?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
sparclette wrote:Oh Jeez! Let's trade :)

Maybe. Fiance has a couple of job leads in Sacramento. If she lands one of 'em, all bets are off.

And glad I could help, A'nold. Though I hate to think I might've shooed someone away from transferring to/attending Davis. Eh. Won't matter anyway when you get into Berkeley, right?


Well, draw from a bag of 10 names and you have one card in the bag, you may get chosen, haha.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby NayBoer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Neither great for biglaw, but obviously Hastings' small chance is still much better than Chapman's almost no chance.

Chapman will track you into OC firms generally doing smaller legal issues. Hastings keeps you in better contention for the bigger firms, but chances in this economy are not great.

Does Chapman have stipulations to keep the scholarship? How much will cost of living be over 3 years? I'm not sure that $60k for Chapman outweighs $180k for Hastings. It's certainly a more manageable level, but it's not as though 3 years at Chapman are costless.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:18 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Hastings. No matter where in California you want to work.

Particularly if you're looking at PI/govt: Hastings' PICAP (loan repayment) is crazy good.

See: Hastings v. Chapman in terms of where grads work.

On second thought, in light of info at the link, go to Chapman if you want to work in Orange and Riverside counties. Go to Hastings if you want to work anywhere else.

Also: Hastings PICAP (LinkRemoved). Quick version: Earn less than $50K, they cover 100%. Earn between $50K and $70K, they pay at least 70% of your IBR-adjusted loan payment. After 5-7 years, and you're still making less than $70K, they pay 100%.

EDIT: Good luck with the WL at Davis. Hope to see you there in the fall. ... Though if Hastings pulls me from WL, I might have a tough decision b/c of the PICAP.


After glancing through UCH's PICAP, I came across this:

Hastings PICAP wrote:No assistance will be provided in the repayment of a graduate’s undergraduate loans, Alternative loans, Grad PLUS Loans, Bar Study Loans, family, or personal loans.


Since the vast majority of what you borrow for law school is in the form of a Grad PLUS loan, doesn't this mean that PICAP is nigh worthless? Or am I reading it wrong?

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby NayBoer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 pm

I guess that means they'll repay Stafford, which is up to $20.5k per year. Meaning you are on the hook for whatever you take over that in PLUS loans. If the $60k number ITT is right, that means (times 3) PICAP wouldn't cover ~$120k out of ~$180k.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

NayBoer wrote:I guess that means they'll repay Stafford, which is up to $20.5k per year. Meaning you are on the hook for whatever you take over that in PLUS loans. If the $60k number ITT is right, that means (times 3) PICAP wouldn't cover ~$120k out of ~$180k.


Yeah, they'll cover Stafford, Perkins, and loans issued by UCH itself. I just checked UCD's LRAP which only applies if you make under $60k but does cover Grad PLUS.

EDIT: UCH not covering Grad PLUS seems to be the exception? I mean I haven't looked at LRAP's outside the T14 but I would assume that they usually cover Grad PLUS loans.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings OR Chapman?

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Wait, what's the point of an LRAP that doesn't cover IBR payments for grad plus, lol? I probably should have looked into this more, haha. Oh well, I'd still rather go to Hastings than Davis, for other reasons.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie and 1 guest