USD v. Santa Clara (part time) v. Holdout Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
paddok

New

USD v. Santa Clara (part time) v. Holdout

Post by paddok » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Looking for some advice:
Just got off the wait list at USD, no scholarship. Only other school I'm admitted to is Santa Clara but somehow only to the part time program, and McGeorge w/ 18k.

I'm currently WL at American, Loyola, Pepperdine, William and Mary, and one other I think?

I'm pretty much the average white guy, with right average scores, decent work experience, decent recs, etc.

I've lived in CA all my life, both Los Angeles and SFO Bay area. I currently own a small tech start up here in Palo Alto, and I believe that IP law looks most interesting to me as far as field of study is concerned. But I also like business and litigation as well.

Debt isn't really a factor for me as I'll be fully paid. I love San Diego (have family there), love Los Angeles (all my friends are there from college), and like the bay area (my business is here, but I grew up in the SF area and am a little tired of it).

I've sent my deposit to Santa Clara already, sucking up the part time, thinking it would let me continue to be hands on in my company, but just got my USD acceptance. I've worked in the past as a paralegal for a USD attorney who was very smart.

Should I forget the ego-bruise of part time santa clara, and go to USD full time? Should I continue to hold out for my WLs? Aside from William and Mary & American, which I probably wouldn't attend, Pepperdine and Loyola are about the same in my books. I've been to the campus for all of them, and while Pepperdine and USD are beautiful, I'm very comfortable with down town LA.

The more I read, the more I think USD is the obvious choice, but like I said I'm really interested in IP litigation and Santa Clara has a good program, just the slap in the face that is the part time admissions.

Thanks for the help.

bk1

Diamond

Re: USD v. Santa Clara (part time) v. Holdout

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Could you retake the LSAT and reapply to get into one of the UC's?

paddok

New

Post by paddok » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:32 pm

bk187 wrote:Could you retake the LSAT and reapply to get into one of the UC's?
Not interested. Thanks though. I don't particularly have any big law aspirations, I just would like to be a competent and well educated lawyer in my chosen field of practice.

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:36 pm

What are your numbers? Of course, you could re-take and apply again. But, this is depending on your GPA and potential to get into the better Cali schools.

IMO, going part-time is not a slap in the face. It takes a year longer, but you can focus on other things. If you have your own start-up, it probably needs considerable attention to stay afloat. Santa Clara is great in the Bay Area for IP. USD does well in SD. McGeorge is out.

Since you are lucky enough to have law school paid for, I think you should get started right away. If you have a BS in a tech-related area, go to Santa Clara PT and make some money on the side. If you are headed for business and don't mind living in San Diego for a few years (and you have connections) go to USD. If you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, then retake and reapply for USC, UCLA, or Cal (all of which will still be a stretch if unless you hit above 168 LSAT).

Either way, follow what you are most passionate about.

hth

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:39 pm

paddok wrote:Not interested. Thanks though. I don't particularly have any big law aspirations, I just would like to be a competent and well educated lawyer in my chosen field of practice.
It's not about biglaw, it's about employment generally. Anecdotally a relative of mine said that 1/2 of last year's class at Loyola-LA was unemployed at graduation. Competition for jobs is tough even outside of biglaw.

The education you get and the level of competence you achieve is going to be the same no matter where you go to school. Whether you have a job that requires a JD is a different matter.

Other than that, I would say SCU because of your IP focus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paddok

New

Post by paddok » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:42 pm

bk187 wrote:
paddok wrote:Not interested. Thanks though. I don't particularly have any big law aspirations, I just would like to be a competent and well educated lawyer in my chosen field of practice.
It's not about biglaw, it's about employment generally. Anecdotally a relative of mine said that 1/2 of last year's class at Loyola-LA was unemployed at graduation. Competition for jobs is tough even outside of biglaw.

The education you get and the level of competence you achieve is going to be the same no matter where you go to school. Whether you have a job that requires a JD is a different matter.

Other than that, I would say SCU because of your IP focus.
Fair enough, but yeah I'm not really interested in retaking the LSAT. Now is the time, and I'll work with what I have.

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Best Option: Retake and Re-Apply.

2nd Best Option: American or William & Mary. If you get off the waitlist at either one, I would say attend.

3rd Best Option: USD full time.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Ronaldo wrote:Best Option: Retake and Re-Apply.

2nd Best Option: American or William & Mary. If you get off the waitlist at either one, I would say attend.

3rd Best Option: USD full time.
OP, ignore the second option. Neither W&M or American are good for California. The only WL's you should look at are Pepperdine and Loyola. And of the California options, just pick the location you most want to work (Bay vs. SD vs. LA-pending-WL's). I don't think Santa Clara PT is a terrible option since you have the start up, but you seem to want to leave the Bay area -- and if you want to leave the Bay area, don't go to SC.

Also, re-take is only TCR if your GPA would be high enough to crack the better schools. Cali schools are notorious for "hating on" lower GPA's.

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Oh, I did not catch that he only wanted to work in Cali. Sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”