seattle university vs mcgeorge (uop)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keexkee

seattle university vs mcgeorge (uop)

Postby keexkee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 am

hi everyone -- seeking some advice/your thoughts. i can't seem to decide on which school to attend this fall, seattle university or mcgeorge? were any of you in this same predicament? how did you decide?

or even separately, if you're attending seattle university this fall, how did you decide? And the same for mcgeorge -- if you're attending mcgeorge this fall, how did you decide

many thanks for your help! appreciate it!

bk1

Re: seattle university vs mcgeorge (uop)

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 am

Goals? Where do you want to practice? Scholarships+stipulations? Is retake/reapply an option?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 am

why did you double post?

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:59 am

Those are two random schools broski. We are going to need a little more info. What do you want do with your life and where do you want to live? How much is it going to cost you to attend each school? Is there any way you could wait a year and retake the LSAT?

keexkee

Postby keexkee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:07 am

sorry everyone -- details on me: i live in the san francisco/bay area and have been here all my life. i want to practice in CA so pushes me to lean towards mcgeorge. my background is in corporate law (4 years experience as corp. paralegal for technology companies). i have some ties to seattle (family, some contacts/network there -- old boss moved there and met other lawyers there). seattle will be a new experience and i like the facilities of the law school.

i know both schools are regional so i will have to most likely practice in those cities.

no scholarships, sticker price :/

sorry about the repost! was going to delete my initial post b/c i thought i posted it in the wrong category but some people commented (thanks for those! appreciate it!)

i don't want to retake/reapply. i did it one round back in 2009 (but i only applied to 3 schools) and this round i applied to 10. just want to start my career and rather not wait.

thanks!!
Last edited by keexkee on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:10 am

Retake/reapply for a stronger CA school if possible. If not, McGeorge.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 am

I'm not really getting a strong vibe on where you actually want to be. You want to practice in CA but you like Seattle. Would you be upset practicing in Seattle? What about Sacramento? You want to go back into corporate law (right?) so you should focus on the school that is stronger in that, which is Seattle. You'll be living in the shadow of U Wash but that's better than being limited to Sacramento or being overshadowed by six different UC schools, USC, and Stanford, right? On the other hand, if you really like Sacramento and are cool practicing around there, McGeorge isn't that much worse in terms of total placement numbers. But Seattle is ranked higher for a reason.

Sticker price sucks, dude. Make sure you're confident about both your ability to do well at either school and confirm that there are some decent options upon graduation.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:44 am

so it's sticker price, but how much debt are you expecting?

keexkee

Postby keexkee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:55 am

i'm not sure.. been working for 4 years so i have some money saved up. i can cover 1L for sure... so take loans for last 2 years.. $80-100k?

i actually don't want to move and prefer to live in california (reason to go to mcgeorge). but the chance of starting something entirely new/different is enticing, since i've been in the bay area bubble for all my life.

keexkee

Postby keexkee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:01 am

creamedcats wrote:I'm not really getting a strong vibe on where you actually want to be. You want to practice in CA but you like Seattle. Would you be upset practicing in Seattle? What about Sacramento? You want to go back into corporate law (right?) so you should focus on the school that is stronger in that, which is Seattle. You'll be living in the shadow of U Wash but that's better than being limited to Sacramento or being overshadowed by six different UC schools, USC, and Stanford, right? On the other hand, if you really like Sacramento and are cool practicing around there, McGeorge isn't that much worse in terms of total placement numbers. But Seattle is ranked higher for a reason.

Sticker price sucks, dude. Make sure you're confident about both your ability to do well at either school and confirm that there are some decent options upon graduation.

thanks creamedcats! i like what you said bout seattle being stronger in corp law. it's helpful. how did you find that info? corp law is my background so to pursue that = easier transition. but i'm open to other disciplines of law. i was hoping law school would help me figure some of that out.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 am

Seems like McGeorge is your best bet with your local ties.

keexkee

Postby keexkee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 am

A'nold wrote:Seems like McGeorge is your best bet with your local ties.

hi a'nold. my local tie is to sf and silicon valley. no contacts/networks in sacramento area. thanks for your advice/info thus far (in the other post). can you tell me more about SU. what did you like about it? where do you go now? are you from seattle area?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 am

here's my thinking, and I'll preface it by saying that I did read that you are not interested in a retake/reapply. I am going to try to convince you otherwise.

1. sounds like you have a steady job in the meantime
2. you live in the bay area, which has a plethora of outstanding LSAT courses - eg) I took Testmasters at Berkeley...they have some of their most qualified LSAT instructors there. My LSAT went up from around 154 to 162 final.
3. if you are going to pay sticker, you might as well get your money's worth. By that I mean Hastings or Davis. These schools give you a realistic shot at long term legal employment in desirable locales. McGeorge is iffy...I would bet the bottom half of their classes are really struggling. Anecdotal, but I know a guy from McGeorge who is top 10%, law review, etc. who hasn't found a job yet. I wouldn't discourage you from attending McGeorge if you had a guaranteed scholarship, but their job prospects are just too uncertain to justify such a leap of faith and huge investment of time and money.

please consider retaking...if nothing else get a scholarship in hand before you head off to a T2. Schools like McGeorge, Loyola, Chapman, and San Diego are very generous with $$.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:44 am

Seattle metro area population: 4.5M
Sac metro area population: 1.5M

McGeorge plays second-fiddle to UCD in Sac, SU plays second fiddle to UW in Seattle, but at least there you're second fiddle in a bigger legal market. But you want CA, so you're pretty well stuck with McGeorge.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”