Should i go to Fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timertimer61

Should i go to Fordham?

Postby timertimer61 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

the second deposit is due today, and its making me nervous since this is the last deposit and makes it the final decision....but i am accepted into fordham p/t (with plans to switch to f/t) and wondering if it really is worth it to go...
i just want a well-paying job (hopefully biglaw).
and no I cant take lsat again.

i guess what i want are some opinions before i fully decide, thats all =P

Johannes de Silentio

Re: Should i go to Fordham?

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Could you provide some more info. What is the financial situation? What do you do now? What will you do if you don't go to Fordham? What other offers do you have?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm

The answer to this question honestly depends on you, and what you want to do. If your numbers are broadly similar to mine, Fordham is likely one of your best options. I knew it was more than I deserved, so to speak, when I was admitted, and as I've told people many times, this has been a wonderful experience. That said, this is an uncertain time for biglaw, which was never a guarantee at Fordham even before current market conditions. When the school was placing top third to 40%, we all knew where we stood, and not knowing that now is disconcerting to my classmates. Biglaw is not extremely important to me, so I focused on other options I might have, and was pleased with the opportunities I saw at Fordham. By the time your class does OCI, we all hope things will have improved significantly. Legal hiring is picking up, according to actual practicing attorneys, despite recent shenanigans on xoxo.

Fordham was a really good choice for me, but I am glad you are doing your research in order to make an informed decision. You should examine all your options and opportunity costs so that in the end you'll be happy with your school and your career.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 pm

law has and is my only consideration so far for my career.
ill be paying sticker, but the family will be picking up the tab (we are not wealthy).
I do have other offers, but only considering UGA.

ideally i want to work in nyc for biglaw, but would fordham be a good choice for that?

oh btw, my numbers: 3.5X/164

Johannes de Silentio

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Given that information, I would go to Fordham, be grateful for the opportunity, work like crazy, and hope for the best in terms of employment.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 pm

timertimer61 wrote:law has and is my only consideration so far for my career.
ill be paying sticker, but the family will be picking up the tab (we are not wealthy).

ideally i want to work in nyc for biglaw, but would fordham be a good choice for that?

Your family is paying, and you want to be in New York? Unless you plan to retake and hit the 168-170 range, Fordham is your best bet. You would have to have an increase of that magnitude to get into any school worth taking over Fordham for what you want to do. And considering intangible factors, this is a pretty kick ass place to be.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Your family is paying over $200,000 for you to go to school and you're NOT wealthy? I don't even want to know what that makes me...

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:

Your family is paying over $200,000 for you to go to school and you're NOT wealthy? I don't even want to know what that makes me...

well my family will be using their savings and will be working extra extra hard to just cover the costs (they dont want me to have debt). which makes me feel guilty as well =(

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

hey, if they can afford it then more power to you. Take fordham and don't look back. It was by far my favorite school to work with and they are one of few that are completely transparent about their employment stats. The viewbook they send with the letter actually lists how many grads were deferred and when they were deferred til. Have fun in NYC, it's a great place to be in school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Whether your parents are paying for it or not, the point is to maximize the investment.

If you can get in the LSAT range that OperaSoprana mentioned, preferably 170+ then I would say retake/reapply would probably give you a good shot at a T14 or at least money at Fordham.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Retake.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 am

OP, I wonder how many more points you would need to get into Cornell... did you apply there?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am

daddymike wrote:OP, I wonder how many more points you would need to get into Cornell... did you apply there?

For a good chance with a 3.5X, one would need a 169+ for Cornell and a 170+ for the other T14s.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 am

OP, it sounds like deep down inside you want to go to Fordham. Given your career interests and wanting to work in NYC, go to Fordham, be a lawyer, and never look back.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 am

Go to Fordham ... and if you see your parents struggling too badly please take out a loan. Law School will be hell if you are worried about other stuff on top of classes.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:48 pm

merichard87 wrote:Go to Fordham ... and if you see your parents struggling too badly please take out a loan. Law School will be hell if you are worried about other stuff on top of classes.

+1. One should at least take out subsidized loans if offered, which don't accrue interest during law school. It would be foolish to pay that amount up front.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:12 am

will it be a good enough reason to go to fordham if i want a high paying job in NYC?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:55 am

timertimer61 wrote:will it be a good enough reason to go to fordham if i want a high paying job in NYC?

What other reason would there be?

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 am

KMaine wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:will it be a good enough reason to go to fordham if i want a high paying job in NYC?

What other reason would there be?

well im asking if its a sufficient reason to attend fordham

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:33 am

bump

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 am

it's the only reason to go to fordham but realize you'll need to finish 1L at least in the top 20% if not higher to get BigLaw right now.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 am

To KMaine: not the only goal. A high paying job in NYC was not what I had in mind when I came to Fordham, but do note that I wanted A job in NYC. If my goals change, I'm going to have to work harder. Fordham does place elsewhere, but with more legwork. Not everyone here wants to work at [insert V50 firm here], though plenty of people might alter their plans if offered. It's a good mix here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”