Is this a smart investment?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Well...is it?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Of Course!
6
6%
Yes
31
30%
No
38
37%
Good God No!
28
27%
 
Total votes: 103

User avatar
Johannes de Silentio
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

Is this a smart investment?

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Fordham at sticker.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 pm

If you have to ask, I'd say no. But I voted yes because I would pay sticker for Fordham.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:29 pm

What do you want to do? What is your situation?

If you really want to be a lawyer in NYC then I don't think there is any real way this could be seen as a dumb investment.

If you could get into a T14 by retaking/reapplying then I would say it is not a smart investment.

EDIT: I am with megaTTTron in that I would pay sticker at Fordham. However, looking at your GPA and LSAT though, I would definitely say you should retake and reapply, aiming for T14's or even the T6.

User avatar
Ronaldo
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Ronaldo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

If Fordham is the best school you got into, you really want to be a lawyer & re-taking and re-applying to crack the top 14 is not an option = good investment.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

God no is TCR with that GPA unless this is your third time around on the LSAT.

sluguy14
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby sluguy14 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Depends on the person. I'm somewhat debt-averse, so the full cost of tuition added to the already high cost of living would give me serious pause. Remember, BIGLAW is certainly not guaranteed from a school that must compete with Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and any other T14 looking to break into the NY market.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I voted yes, even though I was in that situation earlier (with 14k last minute need-based aid) and turned it down for a T2 with more cash. But that was only because I fell in love with another (city).
Last edited by NoleinNY on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 pm

I would take it.

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:00 pm

i chose T2 full ride over fordham sticker, so I say no

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby miamiman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 pm

No

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am

mistergoft wrote:God no is TCR with that GPA unless this is your third time around on the LSAT.


I agree that pairing that GPA with a better LSAT score is the best alternative, but if retaking is not possible, it depends on what you want to do/where you want to practice...

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 am

You've got to spend money to make money.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 am

IBOS.

And no, I don't think so. 200k+ for a non-T14 in a city with about five other schools, not to mention two T6s? Not to mention the fact that it is targeted by the majority of kids at T14s.

I think Fordham can be a good investment, but not for sticker.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 am

romothesavior wrote:IBOS.

And no, I don't think so. 200k+ for a non-T14 in a city with about five other schools, not to mention two T6s? Not to mention the fact that it is targeted by the majority of kids at T14s.

I think Fordham can be a good investment, but not for sticker.


IBOS, who is paying sticker, IIRC.

And +1 to the above. Not worth it.

User avatar
Johannes de Silentio
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:21 am

Hmmm...that Washington and Lee scholarship is looking more and more attractive.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 am

20 of you are outed as irredeemably dumb

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Rand M. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 am

Moxie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:God no is TCR with that GPA unless this is your third time around on the LSAT.


I agree that pairing that GPA with a better LSAT score is the best alternative, but if retaking is not possible, it depends on what you want to do/where you want to practice...


This, especially the bolded, is TCR, but I am also one of those people who never sees the harm in waiting another year. Just seems like a 3.9 with a higher LSAT changes your situation and life completely. You have to do what you think is best, but I personally would balk at the idea of sticker at Cornell and Georgetown, so it's quite possible that we are coming from different places.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 am

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:IBOS.

And no, I don't think so. 200k+ for a non-T14 in a city with about five other schools, not to mention two T6s? Not to mention the fact that it is targeted by the majority of kids at T14s.

I think Fordham can be a good investment, but not for sticker.


IBOS, who is paying sticker, IIRC.

And +1 to the above. Not worth it.


IBOS

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:52 am

wait...maybe she won't come...I'm not sure if her super-senses reach to threads without "Fordham" in the title.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby traehekat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:44 am

No, it's not a smart investment. That being said, practically no law school is a "smart" investment at sticker price ITE, so if you are set on going to law school, the question of whether this is a smart investment is irrelevant. The better question, I suppose, would be is the risk worth it? Only you can really decided it. For me it wouldn't be worth it because I don't want to work in NYC, but maybe you do. Maybe Fordham fits your goals perfectly and you have had your heart set on being a lawyer for some time. You have to make that evaluation yourself.

User avatar
jakeoooh
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby jakeoooh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 am

It depends. As people are fond of pointing out in threads where people want to chance themselves using hypothetical LSAT scores, this test is difficult for a majority of people. A 163 is around the 90th percentile, and only the OP can determine whether that score is near/at his/her ceiling. If it is, then the only question is whether a better result will occur with the same stats next cycle. Anything is possible, but as the economy continues to emit foul odors, I would imagine admissions will remain equally (if not more) competitive.

I saw someone comment about a W&L scholarship- if that offer exists for OP I would take that over Fordham @ sticker. If not, and OP is both a) confident his/her LSAT cannot be improved and b) confident about remaining in NYC, then Fordham is tolerable choice at sticker.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Look, I'm not saying Fordham isn't a good choice for NYC, because it is. The question is whether it is a good choice at sticker. We are talking about 200 THOUSAND DOLLARS or more for this degree. If OP doesn't do PI or get biglaw, he is going to be drowning in debt that he will not be able to pay off until that 25 year grace period kicks in.

And don't even chime in with that "Lulz he'll have IBR so who cares?!?!?" Yeah, good for him. He'll also owe a significant portion of his salary to paying off his loans and he'll have 6 figures of debt for the next two decades. Sound like a good deal to you?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 pm

jakeoooh wrote:It depends. As people are fond of pointing out in threads where people want to chance themselves using hypothetical LSAT scores, this test is difficult for a majority of people. A 163 is around the 90th percentile, and only the OP can determine whether that score is near/at his/her ceiling. If it is, then the only question is whether a better result will occur with the same stats next cycle. Anything is possible, but as the economy continues to emit foul odors, I would imagine admissions will remain equally (if not more) competitive.

I saw someone comment about a W&L scholarship- if that offer exists for OP I would take that over Fordham @ sticker. If not, and OP is both a) confident his/her LSAT cannot be improved and b) confident about remaining in NYC, then Fordham is tolerable choice at sticker.


Obviously only the OP can determine whether or not raising his/her LSAT score is a viable option. While the test is hard, it is learnable, and I would say that the vast majority of people taking the test do not get their maximum possible or even probable score had they studied to their limit. Because it is therefore likely that any person has not achieved their best LSAT, when doing better on the LSAT will significantly increase one's options, then they should be advised to do so. If the OP has taken the test 3 times or has thoughtfully evaluated his/her LSAT prep as being done to the fullest, then yes the OP should ignore the advice.

The point of the advice is to say that is the strongest bet for most people and is often not something that a lot of people seriously consider (most people do not want to study and retake, let alone reapply), not to say that it is ALWAYS the best advice (but it is a vast majority of the time).

User avatar
Johannes de Silentio
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Update: I'll get $30,000 from a local attorney if I choose Fordham. Same verdict?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Is this a smart investment?

Postby los blancos » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:32 pm

.
Last edited by los blancos on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests