IU-Indy vs MSU for International Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

IU-Indianapolis or Michigan State for International Law?

IU-Indianapolis
33%
Michigan State
11%
wait to hear from another school
56%

Total votes: 9

tjm

IU-Indy vs MSU for International Law

Postby tjm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm still waitlisted at a few schools, but assuming at this point that I won't get in to any of the others, which of these two is a better idea for international law?

IU-Indianapolis has a well-established program, while Michigan State has the intention of starting one in the coming year. Would it be better for me to compete for an externship in the (likely) more competitive Indy program or to be a part of the inaugural program at MSU, where it'll be easier to get involved?

I've been going back and forth on this; I know there are pros and cons to each of them. Any suggestions?

Grizz

Re: IU-Indy vs MSU for International Law

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Intl. law is a meaningless term by itself. Intl. business? Intl. human rights?

Just in general though, if these are your two schools, your prospects for intl. law are minimal.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 pm

rad law wrote:Just in general though, if these are your two schools, your prospects for intl. law are minimal.

Sad but VERY true. If you're not at a T10 (and I only say T10 to include Michigan) your chances are still close to nil. If you're at a T5, your chances are decent. To really have a GOOD shot at IL, it's HYS or bust. Sorry.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:25 pm

rad law wrote:Just in general though, if these are your two schools, your prospects for intl. law are [strike]minimal[/strike] nonexistent.

If you can come to terms that you won't be working in international law, choose either one based on location preference and cost. I wouldn't choose IU-Indy unless you are a resident of IN. Otherwise, you are looking at 3 years of 40K/year out of state in tuition which clearly isn't worth it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Also I really hope you're not paying anywhere close to full freight for these two. Your prospects aren't gonna be great in general.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”