Feedback on probable choice, please

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
samham22

Feedback on probable choice, please

Postby samham22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:38 pm

I've posted my situation on here a few times already so maybe some of you are familiar...but now that I have 99.9% made up my mind I was hoping for some feedback from all you knowledgeable TLS posters. Most feedback I've gotten from parents, academic advisors, etc...has been too optimistic for my taste...so please dont hold back. In fact, I appreciate the realistic advice a lot of you give on here.

My stats are on my profile, but basically I was accepted in to SCU, USF, Miami, Denver (all full time), then USD (accepted for PT but still being considered for FT...and even if I dont get into FT I plan on transferring in after 1L...I've spoken with people there about it and it is a pretty simple transfer process)

I have turned in my seat deposits at USD...and my main reasons for choosing USD (not LS in general but USD specifically) include: SD is one of my favorite cities in the world and I do want to live there/in that area for probably the rest of my life (life long Iowa resident and cant wait to get out), my lifelong best friend/roommate is moving out to SD as well for a real estate job (his sisters/brother in law and some friends of ours already live out there), thanks to the aforementioned "network" I have already been put in touch with some attorneys (corporate mostly)...including USD alumni, and I fell in love with the campus/faculty after my visit there.

I realize the risk/idiocy of paying near sticker (-5k a year)...but being that I am only 21 (will be 24 when I'm done) and have very little debt from undergrad (12-15k) is it that big of a "mistake" to go now as oppose to the often recommended re-take LSAT/year off suggestion? It's not like I'm some 26 year old who hates his job and is leaving 50k a year on the table to take this risk. I dont have a wife or kids or any car payments....and dont plan on getting married or buying a house for at least 5-10 years after law school.

So to sum---Im looking at being a single 24 year old male living in SD with 180-185k (assuming I dont earn any scholarship$) of LS and undergrad debt total and no house/car payment...and with IBR now and potential LRAP if I go into the public sector...will I really be that "bad" off??
I am not really debt averse and my parents will help me with my monthly payments...I also dont mind living "frugally" for 5+ years post law school...but I guess my main concern is that if I don't graduate top 1/3 or so I will be living "frugally" for much longer than 5+ years post law school...any thoughts?

holydonkey

Re: Feedback on probable choice, please

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:43 pm

samham22 wrote:I have turned in my seat deposits at USD...Im looking at being a single 24 year old male living in SD with 180-185k (assuming I dont earn any scholarship$) of LS and undergrad debt total...I also dont mind living "frugally" for 5+ years post law school...but I guess my main concern is that if I don't graduate top 1/3 or so I will be living "frugally" for much longer than 5+ years post law school...any thoughts?
This is a valid concern.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

don't go to a school that has employment stats that make you uncomfortable. Not wanting a house or a car, are bad reasons to take on 100k+ in debt. Retake if you think it will help, but I would not leave my job to make slightly more money if it meant taking on a ton of debt. If you don't want to retake, at least take some time ( a few years) off before going to ls.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

samham22 wrote:I've posted my situation on here a few times already so maybe some of you are familiar...but now that I have 99.9% made up my mind I was hoping for some feedback from all you knowledgeable TLS posters. Most feedback I've gotten from parents, academic advisors, etc...has been too optimistic for my taste...so please dont hold back. In fact, I appreciate the realistic advice a lot of you give on here.

My stats are on my profile, but basically I was accepted in to SCU, USF, Miami, Denver (all full time), then USD (accepted for PT but still being considered for FT...and even if I dont get into FT I plan on transferring in after 1L...I've spoken with people there about it and it is a pretty simple transfer process)

I have turned in my seat deposits at USD...and my main reasons for choosing USD (not LS in general but USD specifically) include: SD is one of my favorite cities in the world and I do want to live there/in that area for probably the rest of my life (life long Iowa resident and cant wait to get out), my lifelong best friend/roommate is moving out to SD as well for a real estate job (his sisters/brother in law and some friends of ours already live out there), thanks to the aforementioned "network" I have already been put in touch with some attorneys (corporate mostly)...including USD alumni, and I fell in love with the campus/faculty after my visit there.

I realize the risk/idiocy of paying near sticker (-5k a year)...but being that I am only 21 (will be 24 when I'm done) and have very little debt from undergrad (12-15k) is it that big of a "mistake" to go now as oppose to the often recommended re-take LSAT/year off suggestion? It's not like I'm some 26 year old who hates his job and is leaving 50k a year on the table to take this risk. I dont have a wife or kids or any car payments....and dont plan on getting married or buying a house for at least 5-10 years after law school.

So to sum---Im looking at being a single 24 year old male living in SD with 180-185k (assuming I dont earn any scholarship$) of LS and undergrad debt total and no house/car payment...and with IBR now and potential LRAP if I go into the public sector...will I really be that "bad" off??
I am not really debt averse and my parents will help me with my monthly payments...I also dont mind living "frugally" for 5+ years post law school...but I guess my main concern is that if I don't graduate top 1/3 or so I will be living "frugally" for much longer than 5+ years post law school...any thoughts?

I think you are making a reasonable decision. Make sure to keep in touch with those practicing lawyers; connections go a long way in law.

How much are your parents going to help with payments? Could you convince them instead to put money up front so you can avoid having to take a lot out in private loans?

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:50 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:don't go to a school that has employment stats that make you uncomfortable. Not wanting a house or a car, are bad reasons to take on 100k+ in debt. Retake if you think it will help, but I would not leave my job to make slightly more money if it meant taking on a ton of debt. If you don't want to retake, at least take some time ( a few years) off before going to ls.

I don't think OP has a job.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:don't go to a school that has employment stats that make you uncomfortable. Not wanting a house or a car, are bad reasons to take on 100k+ in debt. Retake if you think it will help, but I would not leave my job to make slightly more money if it meant taking on a ton of debt. If you don't want to retake, at least take some time ( a few years) off before going to ls.

I don't think OP has a job.

my bad, RC fail. Despite that, I still think OP should wait.

samham22

Postby samham22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:10 pm

[/quote]I think you are making a reasonable decision. Make sure to keep in touch with those practicing lawyers; connections go a long way in law.

How much are your parents going to help with payments? Could you convince them instead to put money up front so you can avoid having to take a lot out in private loans?[/quote]

I'm not sure how much they will be able to help...I would assume 500$+ per month minimum. No, I have a sister that is a Junior in undergrad so they're less flexible financially until she is finished. Also, I didn't take out any private loans...I got a all federal loans (a gradplus loan, stafford, and perkins I believe)....so thats why I was thinking IBR/LRAP would be really helpful since I'll owe all my debt (including undergrad--12-15k in stafford loans) to Uncle Sam and not some private loan agency or something.

And as for taking time off, I have friends that have done it both ways and based off their feedback I think going straight in is best for me, plus I am really eager to get started. I dont want to take some years off doing a job I'm not passionate about just to save a 100k in debt...Id rather get started in something that I have a passion for even if it means taking such a risk. I at most would take a year off to focus on the LSAT and raise my score up...but still I would have to find some sort of full time job that I probably wont care for to support myself and set myself a year back just for a few points LSAT increase and a better chance at scholarship money (USD is really only where I want to go so a raised score wouldn't open up "options" for other schools just less debt at USD). I also applied with a 3.44 gpa but after my horrible senioritis spring semester (2.6 lol) the overall gpa I would be applying with would be a tad lower (3.25-3.33)...so would I really benefit THAT much from 1 year off? Its still no guarantee I'll get scholarship money (with a lower gpa and an LSAT score at best being 163-164...I've topped out at 162 on recent practice tests...I take them for fun sometimes when I'm bored because I actually like the test...theyre like my versions of soduku) I personally dont think I would benefit that much from that year off...I dont think my overall app would improve enough to warrant significant scholarship money....and to me a year off would only be worth it for significant scholarship money.

samham22

Postby samham22 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Bump

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Um If you want to live in San Diego go for it. But if you want a career up north rethink it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:10 pm

How much better could you do on the LSAT?

While you may not have other responsibilities (mortgage, family, car payments, etc), retaking/reapply would still be beneficial. Let's say you could do better on the LSAT, that would get you into better schools or into the same schools with money. Hypothetically, would you rather graduate in 2013 from USD with 190k in debt, or would you rather graduate in 2014 from USD with 150k or even 100k debt? Or possibly would you rather graduate from UCI/UCD/UCH in 2014 rather than USD in 2013 with the same amount of debt?

All of this hinges on how much higher a score you can get on the LSAT this October. If you can do significantly better on the LSAT then you should retake/reapply, hands down.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 pm

What about staying PT and working PT in 2-4L in the legal field to gain experience and defer costs?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:10 pm

bk1 wrote:How much better could you do on the LSAT?

While you may not have other responsibilities (mortgage, family, car payments, etc), retaking/reapply would still be beneficial. Let's say you could do better on the LSAT, that would get you into better schools or into the same schools with money. Hypothetically, would you rather graduate in 2013 from USD with 190k in debt, or would you rather graduate in 2014 from USD with 150k or even 100k debt? Or possibly would you rather graduate from UCI/UCD/UCH in 2014 rather than USD in 2013 with the same amount of debt?

All of this hinges on how much higher a score you can get on the LSAT this October. If you can do significantly better on the LSAT then you should retake/reapply, hands down.

OP is topping out at 162 on PT's and would have a lower GPA next cycle (3.44 to a 3.25 is a significant drop in terms of splitting). I think this is a case where re-taking and re-applying isn't necessarily the best idea. With a static or better GPA, maybe, but with a weaker overall application, I'd say "no".

However, the amount of debt is troubling and I personally wouldn't take out that much money for law school, but I don't see OP's application improving that re-taking and re-applying is a good idea....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 pm

keg411 wrote:All of this hinges on how much higher a score you can get on the LSAT this October. If you can do significantly better on the LSAT then you should retake/reapply, hands down.

OP is topping out at 162 on PT's and would have a lower GPA next cycle (3.44 to a 3.25 is a significant drop in terms of splitting). I think this is a case where re-taking and re-applying isn't necessarily the best idea. With a static or better GPA, maybe, but with a weaker overall application, I'd say "no".

However, the amount of debt is troubling and I personally wouldn't take out that much money for law school, but I don't see OP's application improving that re-taking and re-applying is a good idea....[/quote]

I glanced over the drop but didn't realize it was 3.44 to 3.25. That being said, I would say that you're right.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”