Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 pm

I am thinking about getting to corporate law and was wondering what tier 2 schools would best fit for someone trying to pursue this type of law. I am realistic and want to get into a decent school that would give some type of aid as well.

jwells
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jwells » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Where (what state or region of the country) do you want to practice?

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Northeast,

jwells
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jwells » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:18 pm

I would just focus on schools in Tier 2 that are actually in the northeast. Locality has more power than a lot of people realize, especially outside of the Top 20 (let alone 50). Outside of that, I'd say Case Western. Do you want to practice IN a corporation, or practice corporate law in a big firm?

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Practice in a corporation

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby Always Credited » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

jeremydc wrote:Practice in a corporation


I'm guessing you mean some variation of in house council. You won't get this straight out of school. This doesn't happen until you're older.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Always Credited wrote:
jeremydc wrote:Practice in a corporation


I'm guessing you mean some variation of in house council. You won't get this straight out of school. This doesn't happen until you're older.


This is credited, as the username suggests.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby thinkbig » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Get an MBA too. That will help.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm

What makes case a top ranked corporate law program in tier 2? link?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby nealric » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:56 pm

There are no good T2 schools for practicing corporate law in the Northeast.

By "good", I define the school as giving you a more likely than not chance of practicing in that field. An MBA is not very helpful- at least not worth paying for 2 more years of school helpful.

The usual path to in-house is through a large law firm. To get that start, you would need to be in the top 10% to have a shot (even then no guarantee).

I'm not saying you won't or you can't- just that it is unlikely. If you are fine with other practice areas, go ahead. Otherwise, I would think twice before committing to a T2 school.
Last edited by nealric on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Powerscore.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm

nealric wrote:There are no good T2 schools for practicing corporate law in the Northeast.

By "good", I define the school as giving you a more likely than not chance of practicing in that field. An MBA is not very helpful- at least not worth paying for 2 more years of school helpful.

The usual path to in-house is through a large law firm. To get that start, you would need to be in the top 10% to have a shot (even then no guarantee).

I'm not saying you won't or you can't- just that it is unlikely. If you are fine with other practice areas, go ahead. Otherwise, I would think twice before committing to a T2 school.



Thank you for your opinion.

I could probably get into a FEW tier 1 schools but case western just stands out to me, I don't know why.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby nealric » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:03 pm

I could probably get into a FEW tier 1 schools but case western just stands out to me, I don't know why


Retake the LSAT. Study your brains out.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Specialty rankings are irrelevent. The only thing that matters is a school's location, its ranking and your class rank when you graduate. Law school teaches you nothing about actually practicing law. It does two things: 1) lets you take the bar exam; and 2) gets you your first job. The lower the rank your school, the lower your chances of getting a "good job."

At a tier two, you will have very little choice as to which area of law you ultimately practice, unless you are in the top 5 to 10% of your class (hint, there is a 90% chance you will finish outside of the top 10% of your class). There is also little chance that your first job will pay more than 40 to 60k per year. There is also a huge chance you will be unemployed and in the current economy, there is a pretty good chance you may never become a practicing attorney.

That said, you can learn a bunch of useless shit at any law school (irrespective of rank), but the reality is that right now, jobs are scarce and things like picking your practice area, or even your firm, are things of the past (unless you graduate from a top top law school). In other words, don't go to law school at a tier 2 with one specific practice area in mind. Shoot for corporate law, if thats what you really want, but be ready for low end personal injury, because that is a very real possibility.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Thank you, I am set on practicing in / near Cleveland.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm

jeremydc wrote:Thank you, I am set on practicing in / near Cleveland.


Then you should aim to go to Ohio State (or Case Western with a scholarship). Where you want to live/work is more important than specialty ranks or what type of law you think you want to go into.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes that is true but I want to go to a school with the lease student body as possible OSU and Cinci are larger schools with more students which means a better chance of getting into trouble. I have a horrible track record being a social butterfly and getting into A LOT of trouble. I need to stay away from that sort of thing. Case western would offer me the best chance out of the 3 to stay focued on my education. I will apply to osu but doubt I get in.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby thinkbig » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:21 pm

nealric wrote:Retake the LSAT. Study your brains out.


I hate when people say this.

User avatar
KeepitKind
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby KeepitKind » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm guessing you mean some variation of in house council.


I'm guessing you mean some variation of "counsel."

/Credited.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby thinkbig » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm

jeremydc wrote: I want to go to a school with the lease student body as possible


What?

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 pm

thinkbig wrote:
jeremydc wrote: I want to go to a school with the lease student body as possible


What?


I think he's either talking about human trafficking or paraplegics.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby jeremydc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 pm

LOL, the less people around me, the better.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby thinkbig » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm

jeremydc wrote:LOL, the less people around me, the better.


That's your reason for picking one school over another? Wait, isn't Case Western huge?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Best Tier 2 Law school for Corporate Law

Postby nealric » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

I hate when people say this.


I say again and again because a lot of people need to hear it. Sorry if it bothers you.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests