Where exactly do Bloomington grads go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fark-o-vision

Where exactly do Bloomington grads go?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat May 29, 2010 1:17 am

All right, so the general thought seems to be that Chicago isn't very open to any but the top Bloomington grads (and so I think we can safely assume that best case scenario means this is true for NY or DC as well), and that Indianapolis is locked down fairly tight by IU-Indy. Bloomington is supposed to be a powerhouse of sorts, but where do they get jobs?

Just curious. I thought about this school, but am put way, way off by the nebulous job opportunities.

icydash

Re: Where exactly do Bloomington grads go?

Postby icydash » Sat May 29, 2010 1:21 am

What the hell is bloomington?

dood

Postby dood » Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 am

WHAT IS A GHANA

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 am

Powerhouse is T6, or at most T14, mmkay? IU-B is more of a "solid school of sorts."

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sat May 29, 2010 1:31 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:All right, so the general thought seems to be that Chicago isn't very open to any but the top Bloomington grads (and so I think we can safely assume that best case scenario means this is true for NY or DC as well), and that Indianapolis is locked down fairly tight by IU-Indy. Bloomington is supposed to be a powerhouse of sorts, but where do they get jobs?

Just curious. I thought about this school, but am put way, way off by the nebulous job opportunities.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 am

d34dluk3 wrote:Powerhouse is T6, or at most T14, mmkay? IU-B is more of a "solid school of sorts."

Well, all right. I wasn't arguing for that description, but I've seen it referred to as a regional powerhouse on here a number of times. I won't be attending, have nothing invested in Bloomington being perceived well on the board, but am having a bit of trouble with the dissonance created by a t30 school with no apparent job market.

BTW, I'm starting to think the Wal-Mart response may be right.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Powerhouse is T6, or at most T14, mmkay? IU-B is more of a "solid school of sorts."

Well, all right. I wasn't arguing for that description, but I've seen it referred to as a regional powerhouse on here a number of times. I won't be attending, have nothing invested in Bloomington being perceived well on the board, but am having a bit of trouble with the dissonance created by a t30 school with no apparent job market.

BTW, I'm starting to think the Wal-Mart response may be right.

There are T30's, and then there are T30's...if you know what I mean.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat May 29, 2010 1:55 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:All right, so the general thought seems to be that Chicago isn't very open to any but the top Bloomington grads (and so I think we can safely assume that best case scenario means this is true for NY or DC as well), and that Indianapolis is locked down fairly tight by IU-Indy. Bloomington is supposed to be a powerhouse of sorts, but where do they get jobs?

They fact that there is another IU campus in Indy doesn't mean that they have better job prospects than the flagship IU.

Outside of Indy, the other places would be Chicago, DC, & Louisville

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat May 29, 2010 2:26 am

Do they have better placement in Indy? The few threads around here that address both schools seem to generally suggest that IU-Indy locks all but the top 1% of jobs in Indianapolis. While that's nice, that Bloomington may get the cream, it doesn't bode well for the middle of the class.

Ultimately this all comes down to hearsay, but I haven't heard anything suggesting that Bloomington grads come out with a shot at the top jobs anywhere. If you know from experience I'm more than happy to stand corrected.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 29, 2010 2:59 am

Always Credited wrote:There are T30's, and then there are T30's...if you know what I mean.

In other words, there is Fordham and then there are other T30s.

And OP, IUB is not a regional powerhouse. IUB is equal to or behind every other non-T14 Big Ten school (Iowa, Wisconsin, UIUC, Minnesota, Ohio State, etc.) as well as ND and WUSTL. It isn't a bad school, especially if you get $$$, but there will be a lot of competition, especially in Chicago.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat May 29, 2010 10:20 pm

There are many great things about our school. Job prospects are not one of our strong suits.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:24 pm

BIGGARYLAW

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:BIGGARYLAW

That's about as close to Chicago IUB will ever get.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”