University at Buffalo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
apropos

Re: University at Buffalo

Postby apropos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:09 pm

sanpiero wrote:
bogart wrote:"better" does not apply here, the only thing that matters is grades. (and of course, who your parents are)

false. albany is much better for albany. buffalo is much better for buffalo. syracuse is much better for syracuse and maybe rochester. all else equal i would never choose albany if i wanted to work in buffalo or choose buffalo if i wanted to work in syracuse. the reason ub is usually the best choice of the 3 is tuition. the education you will get at these schools is virtually identical. the kicker is that albany and syracuse have ridiculously overpriced tuition. ub understands that 95% of it's grads won't start out making over $80k, and has established its in-state tuition accordingly. otoh, if you pay sticker at syracuse or albany (and don't want to go into PI), you are a sucker. hth

Right. If OP wants Syracuse, USyracuse is best. Same for Albany. UB is better of Rochester, and obviously Buffalo. That's if costs are equal, which they arent.

The main reason why people in upstate say UB is a better choice (other than the sweet instate tuition) is that its region is definitely larger than Syracuse or Albany. In other words:
UB is better for Syracuse than U of Syracuse is for Buffalo.
UB is better for Albany that UAlbany is for Buffalo.

I've never been to the law school, mind you. I just know lawyers in the region.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

apropos wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
bogart wrote:"better" does not apply here, the only thing that matters is grades. (and of course, who your parents are)

false. albany is much better for albany. buffalo is much better for buffalo. syracuse is much better for syracuse and maybe rochester. all else equal i would never choose albany if i wanted to work in buffalo or choose buffalo if i wanted to work in syracuse. the reason ub is usually the best choice of the 3 is tuition. the education you will get at these schools is virtually identical. the kicker is that albany and syracuse have ridiculously overpriced tuition. ub understands that 95% of it's grads won't start out making over $80k, and has established its in-state tuition accordingly. otoh, if you pay sticker at syracuse or albany (and don't want to go into PI), you are a sucker. hth

Right. If OP wants Syracuse, USyracuse is best. Same for Albany. UB is better of Rochester, and obviously Buffalo. That's if costs are equal, which they arent.

The main reason why people in upstate say UB is a better choice (other than the sweet instate tuition) is that its region is definitely larger than Syracuse or Albany. In other words:
UB is better for Syracuse than U of Syracuse is for Buffalo.
UB is better for Albany that UAlbany is for Buffalo.

I've never been to the law school, mind you. I just know lawyers in the region.

TITCR As far as the "best" law school for upstate NY (not including cornell)

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Any rising 2Ls out there? If so, any word on how many firms are signed up for OCI?

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am

bump.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”