(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

78%
22%

Total votes: 92

lawheaven

Postby lawheaven » Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Last edited by lawheaven on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Billy Blanks

Re: Berkeley or Northwestern - help me decide please

Postby Billy Blanks » Fri May 28, 2010 3:30 pm

more info plz

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri May 28, 2010 3:31 pm

All things equal, except the weather -- BERZERKELEYYYYY

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Where do you want to work after law school, and what do you want to do?

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm

All things being equal, Go Bears! However, I wouldn't totally discount Northwestern if you really like/want to practice in the midwest or something.

Edit: definitely visit both. I love Berkeley, but I realize that it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Good luck!
Last edited by forty-two on Fri May 28, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Have you visited the two schools? They are quite different, and fit should drive your decision.

lawheaven

Postby lawheaven » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Last edited by lawheaven on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 4:51 pm

If you want to live in CA, then the clear choice is Berkeley. If you're just worried about getting a biglaw job, I'd probably give the edge to Northwestern. Chicago market is bigger than the SF market.

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Fri May 28, 2010 5:04 pm

NayBoer wrote:If you want to live in CA, then the clear choice is Berkeley. If you're just worried about getting a biglaw job, I'd probably give the edge to Northwestern. Chicago market is bigger than the SF market.

Sounds about right to me (and I know everything). A few notes:

Berkeley isn't SF. I love Berkeley (I also love SF) and I think it's a great place to live and study, but just know that it is distinctly East Bay. That said, it is still the Bay. I just don't want you to select Berkeley thinking it'll be SF only to be disappointed that it's not. However, if you do go to Berkeley and find that you aren't enamored of your surroundings, you can always move to the City and commute to school.

Academia is a crapshoot. I'm inclined to think that you might be better served by Berkeley, but I'm sure that if you're motivated and doing research with a professor at either school you'll have a shot (not a good shot or even a decent shot, because the vast majority of law students - even at HYS - don't there simply aren't enough academic jobs).

I can't see these employment opportunities being strong enough to pull you in one direction or the other. Go where you'll be happy and where your accomodating husband will be happy. For me that'd be the Bay, but it's up to the two of you.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I can also say that the Bay Area is probably one of the few places in the country where COL is not cheaper than Streeterville.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 28, 2010 5:09 pm

If you want "biglaw", then Northwestern is the better choice. If you want California, then UCal-Berkeley is the clear choice.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri May 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Yeah, I'd take Boalt over NU in a heartbeat, if only for the weather.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Take NU. The UC system is slowly (or rather quickly, depending on how long you've been keeping up) imploding. In fact, the whole state is in danger of foreclosure by the Chinese.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon May 31, 2010 3:56 pm

NayBoer wrote:I can also say that the Bay Area is probably one of the few places in the country where COL is not cheaper than Streeterville.

That and Manhattan.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:39 am

Berkeley may be harder to get into but Northwestern is the school which actually does better with job placement in the end.
NU!

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 am

motiontodismiss wrote:Take NU. The UC system is slowly (or rather quickly, depending on how long you've been keeping up) imploding. In fact, the whole state is in danger of foreclosure by the Chinese.

This may not be particularly relevant to Boalt Hall, which has substantially separate budgeting from the rest of the university and is now charging such high tuition that it is capable of funding itself just fine.

For academia, Berkeley > NW. Berkeley has a small group of professors that has made it their mission to promote academic careers, and their placement rate was relatively good last year (at least compared to the schools that aren't YHS).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:27 am

voice of reason wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Take NU. The UC system is slowly (or rather quickly, depending on how long you've been keeping up) imploding. In fact, the whole state is in danger of foreclosure by the Chinese.

This may not be particularly relevant to Boalt Hall, which has substantially separate budgeting from the rest of the university and is now charging such high tuition that it is capable of funding itself just fine.

For academia, Berkeley > NW. Berkeley has a small group of professors that has made it their mission to promote academic careers, and their placement rate was relatively good last year (at least compared to the schools that aren't YHS).

I think tuition going up 32% on top of the absurd level it's at already is very relevant.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:37 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
voice of reason wrote:

I think tuition going up 32% on top of the absurd level it's at already is very relevant.

Their in-state tuition is (and will continue to be) set at 10% lower than Columbia, NYU, or any of the other "peer" privates like Northwestern.

If you want BigLaw, your choice should probably be regional and if you want anything else I would go with Berkeley.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 am

Kronk wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
voice of reason wrote:

Their in-state tuition is (and will continue to be) set at 10% lower than Columbia, NYU, or any of the other "peer" privates like Northwestern.

If you want BigLaw, your choice should probably be regional and if you want anything else I would go with Berkeley.

Not as long as Berkeley keeps getting starved of state funds...I wouldn't count on that "guarantee". For the money Berkeley charges I'd rather go to Michigan. And I'm instate.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Kronk wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I think tuition going up 32% on top of the absurd level it's at already is very relevant.

Not as long as Berkeley keeps getting starved of state funds...I wouldn't count on that "guarantee". For the money Berkeley charges I'd rather go to Michigan. And I'm instate.

I heard Michigan's OCS is terrible.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:31 am

2008 law grads: UC-Berkeley academia = 0%
UC-Berkeley judicial clerk = 9%

Northwestern academia = 2%
Northwestern judicial clerk = 12%

vale1rd

Postby vale1rd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 am

based on your career goals and the information presented, I would have to say NU is the right choice (despite the terrible winters)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:30 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Kronk wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I think tuition going up 32% on top of the absurd level it's at already is very relevant.

I heard Michigan's OCS is terrible.

We should all know better than to rely solely on them.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:2008 law grads: UC-Berkeley academia = 0%
UC-Berkeley judicial clerk = 9%

Northwestern academia = 2%
Northwestern judicial clerk = 12%

Where did you get those numbers? Those sound wrong for both schools. Plus "judicial clerk" is rather vague. What exactly are you including there?

olanderp

Postby olanderp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 am

Last edited by olanderp on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”