Best options for my criteria

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jaytaw

Best options for my criteria

Postby jaytaw » Fri May 28, 2010 8:42 am

I've just finished my junior year of undergrad (mech. engineering) And I'm starting to do some research on where I eventually will apply for law school. In order of priority, my criteria are:

1) Good employment rate within state/region. I'm not concerned about big law in NY/LA/texas necessarily, I just want a decent job somewhere.

2) Acceptance/Scholarship potential. I will likely end up with a 2.8 GPA. As for LSAT, I took 2 practice tests without any prep and scored 167 & 168. I normally do really well on standardized tests and with prep I think I can reasonably get to mid 170's. So I'm looking for a school that is splitter-friendly and maybe takes difficulty of undergrad degree into account (I've heard this is rare though)

3) Location in midwest or southeast. This is where I eventually want to live/practice, so if my schools only place well regionally then obviously I need to go to school in those regions. I wouldn't mind working on the east coast or California, but I assume it would be difficult without going to a t14 school, which is probably out of the question for me financially and academically. Also since I'm not really going for a Biglaw job, a place with a relatively low cost of living is a plus.

The schools I'm thinking about applying to are:
University of Kansas (in-state and likely scholarship potential)

For out of state schools I've come up with these that are top 50 and within my desired region, but I'm not sure which are splitter-friendly. So far I've found:
Alabama
Indiana
Wake forest
Cincinnati
Iowa
Minnesota

Are there any schools I should take off or add to this list?

Assuming I get accepted to Kansas and some other top 50 out of state school, is it worth it to pay sticker for the out of state school or just stay in Kansas with scholarship potential? I haven't been able to find much info on Kansas' employment statistics.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

malfurion

Re: Best options for my criteria

Postby malfurion » Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 am

If you can really score as high as you think you can on the LSAT, then WUSTL should be a prime target and Northwestern a possible reach, given your stats and location preferences. It's not worth spending a whole lot of time trying to choose schools before you know your actual score, though.

jaytaw

Postby jaytaw » Fri May 28, 2010 10:14 am

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. If I am able to get a 174+ on the LSAT would I have a chance at even a partial scholarship at WashU or NW?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:32 am

jaytaw wrote:Ok, thanks for the suggestions. If I am able to get a 174+ on the LSAT would I have a chance at even a partial scholarship at WashU or NW?

WUSTL, yes. NW, no since you would have to do ED.

Check out LSN if you haven't already, but your best bets for acceptances + $ (as well as your other criteria) would be WUSTL and UIUC. The schools you mentioned will probably give you more $$$$ (though Minnesota would be harder). A mid 170's score would give you a chance at Vandy but probably not $.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

keg411 wrote:A mid 170's score would give you a chance at Vandy but probably not $.

The slimmest of shots. They don't hardly any sub-3.5s, and even fewer below 3.0.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:50 am

rad law wrote:
keg411 wrote:A mid 170's score would give you a chance at Vandy but probably not $.

The slimmest of shots. They don't hardly any sub-3.5s, and even fewer below 3.0.

There are a couple on LSN this year. I checked before posting it. If OP gets a 174-175 it's probably at least worth an application.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm

jaytaw wrote:Ok, thanks for the suggestions. If I am able to get a 174+ on the LSAT would I have a chance at even a partial scholarship at WashU or NW?
Yes at WUSTL, no at NU. In fact, without post-UG work experience, you have very little shot at Northwestern. If you wait and get even a year of WE, you could have a shot at Northwestern applying ED.

To your list:

Alabama
Indiana-Bloomington
Wake forest
[strike]Cincinnati[/strike]
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois

But make sure if you get 167+ you apply to WUSTL, Minn and Ill. Also, if Virginia is a reasonable market for you then you have several options (GMU, W&L, outside shot at W&M).

Also watch out for bullshit top-1/3 requirement if Iowa offers you money.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 am

jaytaw wrote:2) Acceptance/Scholarship potential. I will likely end up with a 2.8 GPA. As for LSAT, I took 2 practice tests without any prep and scored 167 & 168. I normally do really well on standardized tests and with prep I think I can reasonably get to mid 170's. So I'm looking for a school that is splitter-friendly and maybe takes difficulty of undergrad degree into account (I've heard this is rare though)...So far I've found:
Alabama
Indiana
Wake forest
Cincinnati
Iowa
Minnesota

Definitely Northwestern. Probably WUSTL. Maybe Notre Dame. Indiana, Wake, and Iowa are all good options and may have decent scholarship options if you score high enough.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”