Tulane (sticker) vs McGeorge ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go if you were planning on transferring?

Tulane (Sticker)
69%
McGeorge ($$)
31%

Total votes: 36

Grizz

Re: Tulane (sticker) vs McGeorge ($$)

Postby Grizz » Mon May 31, 2010 9:42 pm

JCougar wrote:Actually, I just checked the Law School Transparency website. Tulane only has 24.6% of its class reporting salary. :shock:

I knew it was absurdly low, but I had forgotten how bad it is.

Translation: only about the top 15% of the class or so makes $97K or more.

That's absolutely criminal.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 31, 2010 9:48 pm

rad law wrote:
JCougar wrote:Actually, I just checked the Law School Transparency website. Tulane only has 24.6% of its class reporting salary. :shock:

That's absolutely criminal.

I know. If you sort all the schools by % of class represented by salary info, the bottom of the list is pretty much a "who's who" of all the TTT schools, with Tulane thrown into the mix. Or should I say TTTulane. :wink:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm

Yale only has 36% reporting info???? Wow.
For reference, I checked and Columbia was #1 and still only with 82%.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 pm

keg411 wrote:Yale only has 36% reporting info???? Wow.
For reference, I checked and Columbia was #1 and still only with 82%.

I think I originally misread that statistic. That is the percent of the class represented by the reported private sector salary statistics, I believe. Not the total percent of people responding. Looking at the spreadsheet formulas, it takes the percent of class employed in law firms plus the percent employed in business, multiplies it by the number of students who have jobs 9 months after graduation, and then multiplies it again by the number of students in the private sector reporting salary.

Yale is a fluke because 40% of the class does awesome clerkships.

Edit: and that number is referring to the data reported to US News for private sector salaries in 2009. So I was wrong in thinking it applied to the data being reported on their website. So just for the private sector, Tulane reported a $140K private sector starting salary to US News in 2009. That number, however, represents only the top 12% of the class. Tulane's number is so low because only 37% of its graduates in the private sector report salary. So the point remains the same. Tulane's salary statistics are bullshit.

qualster

Postby qualster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:12 am

JCougar wrote:
rad law wrote:
JCougar wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I would say neither. I am going to Tulane w/ 25k. but w/o schlrly I do not think it would be worth it. If you look at the median Tulane salary for the 2008 class it is 90k per year. 200k for a starting 90k salary? that cost/benefit calculation just doesn't seem to stack up to me.

on the other hand, I wouldn't say mcgeorge is the best choice either. That being said, it is cheaper and thus less debt...problem of lower starting salary. I would say that it would be best to add a third option to the table if possible.

They actually claim it is $97K, but that's with less than half the class reporting salary. So a good bet is that $97K is somewhere above 25th percentile in reality.

Whoa.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON

Actually, I just checked the Law School Transparency website. Tulane only has 24.6% of its class reporting salary. :shock:

Hey jcoug, can you please post a link to the Law School Transparency stats? I can't seem to find anything. Thanks bro.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am

qualster wrote:
Hey jcoug, can you please post a link to the Law School Transparency lists? I can't seem to find it. Thanks bro.

[strike]It's posted on the previous page.[/strike]

Edit: whoops, that was a different thread.

Here you go: --LinkRemoved--

qualster

Postby qualster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 am

JCougar wrote:
qualster wrote:
Hey jcoug, can you please post a link to the Law School Transparency lists? I can't seem to find it. Thanks bro.

[strike]It's posted on the previous page.[/strike]

Edit: whoops, that was a different thread.

Here you go: --LinkRemoved--

Thanks man.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am

Whoa whoa Tulane's median is $90,000 with 75% or so reporting (via US News).

I don't know what Law School Transparency is saying.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Whoa whoa Tulane's median is $90,000 with 75% or so reporting (via US News).

That number sounds inflated for Tulane.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 am

rad law wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Whoa whoa Tulane's median is $90,000 with 75% or so reporting (via US News).

That number sounds inflated for Tulane.

Oh I just went on the law school transparency excel sheet. Yeah they were using last years numbers. Everyone knew Tulane's overall median wasn't $140,000. $90,000 is about right ($80,000-$100,000). Somehow Tulane doubled its percentage reporting after last year. Hey I'm just glad they did it because 37% reporting at any school is inexcusable. They school does get more flak than it should though. I mean yes, it is expensive. Most private schools in the T1 cost about $40,000 a year in tuition. Many out of state public schools do the same (IUB, anyone?). In my opinion, Tulane's old dean wasn't a US News gamer and it appears as though Tulane can no longer sustain itself without doing so (which is unfortunate for everyone involved).

OP: if you want to work in CA, Tulane co-hosts a program there over the summer (in August) where you can interview with employers there that do not come to OCI.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm

It is ~90k with 74% of the class reporting.

I feel like this is not that inflated. There are the people that make a lot and there are those that are paid shit at Tulane. The numbers for the 2007 class of like 115k per year was wayyyy inflated. This new number, to me, seems more reasonable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”