With a 170+ LSAT, is this the smartest strategy? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Re: With a 170+ LSAT, is this the smartest strategy?

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Northwestern's tolerance for "low" GPAs may depend upon the undergraduate major. Majors such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering & chemical engineering are well known to be highly demanding & low grading especially at certain schools like Georgia Tech, CMU & the Univ. of Illinois and a few other undergraduate universities.
From what I've seen, I'm not sure this matters a lot.
But if it does, I'm hoping that they'll see my UG's Math department has the lowest median GPA of any major at my school. Other departments dislike handing out C's and will do what they can to avoid it (with the exception of Physics and Chemistry (at least in Orgo.. it gets better after that.)).. most math professors could give less of a shit.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Here is what I'd do. Get a job in accounting, or business. Don't worry about the CPA for now, the investment isn't worth it for two years of working. And apply ED to UVA and then Penn/Mich each year. They probably won't take you, but they might. It is worth the risk. After applying ED to VPM the first cycle, apply to NU ED and claim 2 years of work experience, you'll probably get it.

Also I've read about one guy who rode the UVA waitlist until end of august, and then EDed as soon as apps opened and got in. They rewarded his loyalty.

Having a job means you can apply a couple years in a row waiting to get lucky. If after three years, you can get your masters at night and get your CPA.
This sounds like a really good strategy!
Thanks, Desert Fox! I thought NU would expect to see a CPA if I went on the accounting route- but given law school admissions- that expectation doesn't really make sense..
No go study the LSAT. We can plan crazy admissions strategies after the LSAT.

What were your last 5 PTs?
174 173 172 174 177.. has been fairly consistent, the 177 was the most recent one though, :D

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:ITT: DF pays forward his splitter good fortune.
IRL I've created an even better splitter. 2.8 Pting in the 170s, african american, electrical engineer.
I wish he were a liberal arts major so we could compare and see how much C&F held back a certain former BPer.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:48 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:ITT: DF pays forward his splitter good fortune.
IRL I've created an even better splitter. 2.8 Pting in the 170s, african american, electrical engineer.
I wish he were a liberal arts major so we could compare and see how much C&F held back a certain former BPer.
I don't think much. NR had similar numbers, and he did even worse. URM boost for extreme splitters is ridiculously small.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Fri May 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Dr. Strangelove,

I think your addiction to neurotica is something to keep an eye on. As I prepared for the LSAT, I, too, found myself obsessively reading these boards and plugging various LSATs into law school predictor, and asking people what my chances were, etc, but really, all it does is provide you with an easy excuse to avoid studying for a time. It's one of those excuses that you can justify to yourself, even, but in honest moments you'll realize that your neurotic posting and obsessing isn't just counterproductive - it's even a little bit shameful.

I recommend you do two things: 1) keep studying and taking practice tests 2) don't think about this shit when you're not studying or taking practice tests; do something else. Play guitar or go out to bars or something. Don't get sucked in.

For what it's worth, my practice tests leading up to the real thing were: 172, 173, 176, 173, 177, 174, 176. I got a 172. I probably would have done better if I hadn't fucked around on the internet so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:TITCR. After accounting dropped the requirement for calc the void was filled and its now like trying to find a job teaching.
And what exactly is that supposed to be like? Careful with teacher hating :evil:
RC fail? Its pretty common knowledge that its hard to find a job teaching ITE.

To clear up, when I was in high school there was supposed to be a teacher shortage, so everyone went into teaching, about 2/3 years later there was supposed to be an accounting shortage so everyone went there. Now the markets are over crowded and its hard to get a job in either profession.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:URM boost for extreme splitters is ridiculously small.
Do you mean at NU or in general?

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:URM boost for extreme splitters is ridiculously small.
Do you mean at NU or in general?
I think this applies in general. Even for URMs with 170+, a GPA below 3.0 usually keeps you out of most T14s other than maybe UVA, Northwestern with 2 yrs work exp, and Cornell/Georgetown.

Some examples:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/slightlystoopid
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/snowctu7
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/eseedril
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Nightrunner
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FloppyMex

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 am

whitman wrote:Dr. Strangelove,

I think your addiction to neurotica is something to keep an eye on. As I prepared for the LSAT, I, too, found myself obsessively reading these boards and plugging various LSATs into law school predictor, and asking people what my chances were, etc, but really, all it does is provide you with an easy excuse to avoid studying for a time. It's one of those excuses that you can justify to yourself, even, but in honest moments you'll realize that your neurotic posting and obsessing isn't just counterproductive - it's even a little bit shameful.

I recommend you do two things: 1) keep studying and taking practice tests 2) don't think about this shit when you're not studying or taking practice tests; do something else. Play guitar or go out to bars or something. Don't get sucked in.

For what it's worth, my practice tests leading up to the real thing were: 172, 173, 176, 173, 177, 174, 176. I got a 172. I probably would have done better if I hadn't fucked around on the internet so much.
This is good advice. Nothing on TLS has truly helped me with the LSAT so far.
I've definitely found a lot of time to have fun these past few weeks though.. I've been going to parties and even find time to just let booze and good friends take over the night.. I agree this is all probably counterproductive though.
I just don't sleep a lot. (~5-6 hours a night).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:Here is what I'd do. Get a job in accounting, or business. Don't worry about the CPA for now, the investment isn't worth it for two years of working. And apply ED to UVA and then Penn/Mich each year. They probably won't take you, but they might. It is worth the risk. After applying ED to VPM the first cycle, apply to NU ED and claim 2 years of work experience, you'll probably get it.

Also I've read about one guy who rode the UVA waitlist until end of august, and then EDed as soon as apps opened and got in. They rewarded his loyalty.

Having a job means you can apply a couple years in a row waiting to get lucky. If after three years, you can get your masters at night and get your CPA.
Shrewd.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

A remarkably apt indictment of the entire TLS posting body.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 31, 2010 11:20 am

if you call dicking around on the internet shameful, you and me lead wildly different lives lol i've got to save "shameful" for more egregious behavior than trolling the interwob. but i get ur point, and OP should definitely maintain sanity by not dropping entirely out of whatever his relaxation routine is.

also, OP, be afraid of test-day drop. be very very afraid. i was PTing through the roof in the month before the test, and also ended up with a 172. that had happened to me before though (and worse), and for me it was a "games" issue, which section some folks find to be more touch and go no matter how much prep they do. so maybe that's just me and you'll be fine.

also, was there something in your posts about where you would want to practice? As someone who attends Cornell, and does not care to get into a conversation about its merits as an institution (or lack thereof), i am just thinking that if the choice were between, say, northwestern and cornell, i would think the decision would turn on two things: $$ and where you want to work.

or do we think here that NU is better than cornell even for new york?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:17 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:

if you call dicking around on the internet shameful, you and me lead wildly different lives lol i've got to save "shameful" for more egregious behavior than trolling the interwob. but i get ur point, and OP should definitely maintain sanity by not dropping entirely out of whatever his relaxation routine is.

also, OP, be afraid of test-day drop. be very very afraid. i was PTing through the roof in the month before the test, and also ended up with a 172. that had happened to me before though (and worse), and for me it was a "games" issue, which section some folks find to be more touch and go no matter how much prep they do. so maybe that's just me and you'll be fine.

also, was there something in your posts about where you would want to practice? As someone who attends Cornell, and does not care to get into a conversation about its merits as an institution (or lack thereof), i am just thinking that if the choice were between, say, northwestern and cornell, i would think the decision would turn on two things: $$ and where you want to work.

No way is NU better for NYC. But Cornell hasn't been friendly to extreme splitters lately, so the OP doesn't have much of a shot. He should apply, but don't count on it. NU does pretty decent in NYC, but Cornell is better than most of the lower t14 for NYC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

No way is NU better for NYC. But Cornell hasn't been friendly to extreme splitters lately, so the OP doesn't have much of a shot. He should apply, but don't count on it. NU does pretty decent in NYC, but Cornell is better than most of the lower t14 for NYC.
ahhh forgot about splitter situation. I was a splitter and ended up getting in (although my gpa was I guess "high" for a splitter at 3.33)

EDIT: nm, just saw "extreme splitter." i'm now paying for internet at the airport, which still beats the hell out of trying to read through shit on the iphone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”