With a 170+ LSAT, is this the smartest strategy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dr. Strangelove

With a 170+ LSAT, is this the smartest strategy?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I've been hearing that low GPA applicants with 170+ LSAT's with decent WE have a great shot at Northwestern (especially with ED).
I'm planning to go into accounting if I don't go to law school after college. My accounting/finance GPA is a 4.0, and I've heard from public firms that will give me an enormous boost despite my lackluster GPA..especially if I get a graduate degree in accounting AND pass the CPA exam.
I'm assuming a year or two in a public accounting firm will be enough work experience for Northwestern.
So is the best strategy to only plan to go to law school if I get into a T12 school (T14 sans Georgetown/Cornell) and otherwise take the accounting route and if I still want law school, then apply to NU and its peer schools?

nycsoul87

Re: With a 170+ LSAT, is this the smartest strategy?

Postby nycsoul87 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Wow, that's basically what I'm planning on doing... With how bad the legal market is, why bother going now? Why not go and pick up a CPA credential and come back to this in a few years? I think that's a great idea, but I'm obviously biased b/c I'm trying to do the same thing. Only thing is, what's the entry level accounting job market like right now? I did Econ undergrad so I'm not too familiar with how accounting is faring ITE.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Will you have to invest any money in getting a graduate degree in accounting? Even cost of living loans? If not, then I think it makes sense to wait out the economy a little and distance yourself from your GPA. But if you are looking at going into debt, or even just spending significantly, on a graduate degree you only really want to boost your law school application then I think that is a big mistake. A CPA isn't going to help you with legal employment. In terms of work experience just picking up an entry level job that pays the bills and working your way up for a few years will qualify for Northwestern, depending on how bad your GPA is, and if you really score that on the LSAT, of course.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Thu May 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Depends on the market you in (obviously), but I know where my undergrad was the firms weren't hiring. We had ~40 people going for internships and only 15 people got them (in the past, about 85% of people looking for internships got them). Out of those 15, I believe 4 of them got solid, "you're hired", jobs once they get their MAcc. A bunch of them (meaning 5-8) got "If the economy picks up before the Fall of 2011, you're hired." So while the mass media will tell you accounting is recession proof - the numbers, at least from my undergrad, say otherwise.

Edit: The real estate market crashing has crushed many firms that are right below "Big 4" status, at least in the SE. The smaller firms and the Big 4 haven't been hit as hard, but they are hurting also, and seemed to be the ones that gave the conditional offers.

That being said, the implementation of IFRS will probably cause an uptick in new hires, just b/c the partners and middle management won't want to have to deal with learning new standards that are just now being taught in accounting classrooms.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

mountaineerlaw wrote:Depends on the market you in (obviously), but I know where my undergrad was the firms weren't hiring. We had ~40 people going for internships and only 15 people got them (in the past, about 85% of people looking for internships got them). Out of those 15, I believe 4 of them got solid, "you're hired", jobs once they get their MAcc. A bunch of them (meaning 5-8) got "If the economy picks up before the Fall of 2011, you're hired." So while the mass media will tell you accounting is recession proof - the numbers, at least from my undergrad, say otherwise.

Edit: The real estate market crashing has crushed many firms that are right below "Big 4" status, at least in the SE. The smaller firms and the Big 4 haven't been hit as hard, but they are hurting also, and seemed to be the ones that gave the conditional offers.

That being said, the implementation of IFRS will probably cause an uptick in new hires, just b/c the partners and middle management won't want to have to deal with learning new standards that are just now being taught in accounting classrooms.

TITCR. After accounting dropped the requirement for calc the void was filled and its now like trying to find a job teaching.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu May 27, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm glad you're so interested in this stuff now, but spend your time studying for the LSAT right now.

Having a fantastic strategy with your 171 <<<<<< Winging it with a 175

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 27, 2010 7:37 pm

His LSAT is higher than a 175.

OP, this year I would do whatever you would intend to do if you didn't plan on law school, but apply to Northwestern anyway and see what happens. If you don't get in, or if you don't get a scholarship to your satisfaction, just apply next year and continue working.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu May 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Tanicius wrote:His LSAT is higher than a 175.

His profile says he's taking it in June, and don't give me practice tests, especially when you're up in the 170's.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I'm glad you're so interested in this stuff now, but spend your time studying for the LSAT right now.

Having a fantastic strategy with your 171 <<<<<< Winging it with a 175

I agree with that. LSAT is top priority right now.
From studying all of this, the higher the LSAT, the better.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

His profile says he's taking it in June, and don't give me practice tests, especially when you're up in the 170's.

I thought I saw the OP give out 2.8/180 in the "guess where the above poster is going to law school" thread. Must have been seeking hypothetical opinions..

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Tanicius wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

I thought I saw the OP give out 2.8/180 in the "guess where the above poster is going to law school" thread. Must have been seeking hypothetical opinions..

Yea, that was hypothetical. Needed it for motivation to study for the LSAT.
I can already do around low 170's but need to put in that extra work to score 175+.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 am

My current strategy is to apply to law school as early as possible.
I might do the ED thing (depends on how I actually do on the LSAT) but I hope that sending my applications out in September will give enough of a boost.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 28, 2010 9:50 am

Northwestern's tolerance for "low" GPAs may depend upon the undergraduate major. Majors such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering & chemical engineering are well known to be highly demanding & low grading especially at certain schools like Georgia Tech, CMU & the Univ. of Illinois and a few other undergraduate universities.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Northwestern's tolerance for "low" GPAs may depend upon the undergraduate major. Majors such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering & chemical engineering are well known to be highly demanding & low grading especially at certain schools like Georgia Tech, CMU & the Univ. of Illinois and a few other undergraduate universities.

At least anecdotally on TLS, there isn't any evidence of Northwestern doing this. They seem to care about LSAT, GPA, and quality/duration of work experience. If one element is weak, but the other two sufficiently strong (in any combination, really) they are willing to overlook. But difficult major seems to barely qualify as a soft.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 pm

lostjake wrote:
mountaineerlaw wrote:Depends on the market you in (obviously), but I know where my undergrad was the firms weren't hiring. We had ~40 people going for internships and only 15 people got them (in the past, about 85% of people looking for internships got them). Out of those 15, I believe 4 of them got solid, "you're hired", jobs once they get their MAcc. A bunch of them (meaning 5-8) got "If the economy picks up before the Fall of 2011, you're hired." So while the mass media will tell you accounting is recession proof - the numbers, at least from my undergrad, say otherwise.

TITCR. After accounting dropped the requirement for calc the void was filled and its now like trying to find a job teaching.

You don't need to take calc for accounting? Weaaaak. Not even business calc.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Northwestern's tolerance for "low" GPAs may depend upon the undergraduate major. Majors such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering & chemical engineering are well known to be highly demanding & low grading especially at certain schools like Georgia Tech, CMU & the Univ. of Illinois and a few other undergraduate universities.

With decent work experience they won't care.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Here is what I'd do. Get a job in accounting, or business. Don't worry about the CPA for now, the investment isn't worth it for two years of working. And apply ED to UVA and then Penn/Mich each year. They probably won't take you, but they might. It is worth the risk. After applying ED to VPM the first cycle, apply to NU ED and claim 2 years of work experience, you'll probably get it.

Also I've read about one guy who rode the UVA waitlist until end of august, and then EDed as soon as apps opened and got in. They rewarded his loyalty.

Having a job means you can apply a couple years in a row waiting to get lucky. If after three years, you can get your masters at night and get your CPA.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Nope.

I can thankfully say it does not.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Nope.

I can thankfully say it does not.

I didn't want to say this in my post, but lol yes.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:TITCR. After accounting dropped the requirement for calc the void was filled and its now like trying to find a job teaching.

And what exactly is that supposed to be like? Careful with teacher hating :evil:

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Here is what I'd do. Get a job in accounting, or business. Don't worry about the CPA for now, the investment isn't worth it for two years of working. And apply ED to UVA and then Penn/Mich each year. They probably won't take you, but they might. It is worth the risk. After applying ED to VPM the first cycle, apply to NU ED and claim 2 years of work experience, you'll probably get it.

Also I've read about one guy who rode the UVA waitlist until end of august, and then EDed as soon as apps opened and got in. They rewarded his loyalty.

Having a job means you can apply a couple years in a row waiting to get lucky. If after three years, you can get your masters at night and get your CPA.
This is a great strategy, OP.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Here is what I'd do. Get a job in accounting, or business. Don't worry about the CPA for now, the investment isn't worth it for two years of working. And apply ED to UVA and then Penn/Mich each year. They probably won't take you, but they might. It is worth the risk. After applying ED to VPM the first cycle, apply to NU ED and claim 2 years of work experience, you'll probably get it.

This sounds like a really good strategy!
Thanks, Desert Fox! I thought NU would expect to see a CPA if I went on the accounting route- but given law school admissions- that expectation doesn't really make sense..

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

This sounds like a really good strategy!
Thanks, Desert Fox! I thought NU would expect to see a CPA if I went on the accounting route- but given law school admissions- that expectation doesn't really make sense..

No go study the LSAT. We can plan crazy admissions strategies after the LSAT.

What were your last 5 PTs?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 1:11 pm

ITT: DF pays forward his splitter good fortune.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

NayBoer wrote:ITT: DF pays forward his splitter good fortune.

IRL I've created an even better splitter. 2.8 Pting in the 170s, african american, electrical engineer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”