Best choice for NYC job market

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best school for NYC job market?

UConn
10
53%
UMaryland
2
11%
Temple
2
11%
Seton Hall ($$)
5
26%
 
Total votes: 19

LawyerlyLady
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Best choice for NYC job market

Postby LawyerlyLady » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Which of these schools is the best choice for someone who would like to end up working in New York City?

UConn
UMaryland
Temple
Seton Hall (with $25k/year)

(I already withdrew from St. John's with $22k/year because of its spot at the bottom of a long list of NY law schools, but now I'm thinking that may have been a mistake...)

Thanks!

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby kittenmittons » Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Just any job or a good job?

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby voice of reason » Thu May 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I would choose Seton Hall because it's local and will leave you with the least debt (unless UConn and UMD are cheaper than I'm guessing they are).

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm

voice of reason wrote:I would choose Seton Hall because it's local and will leave you with the least debt (unless UConn and UMD are cheaper than I'm guessing they are).


I would wager Temple.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby keg411 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm

None of the above.
Temple = Philly
Maryland = Maryland
Seton Hall = NJ
UConn = CT

You did make a mistake by withdrawing from St. John's if you only want to work in NYC. If you are willing to work elsewhere, then pick the cheapest school.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby James Bond » Thu May 27, 2010 4:54 pm

keg411 wrote:None of the above.
Temple = Philly
Maryland = Maryland
Seton Hall = NJ
UConn = CT

You did make a mistake by withdrawing from St. John's if you only want to work in NYC. If you are willing to work elsewhere, then pick the cheapest school.


This is credited. Temple places well in Philly. Maryland does well in Maryland. UConn does decent in CT. Seton Hall is a joke and public perception of it is a WHOLE lot lower than its ranking.

yabbadabbado
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 pm

None of them are the best for NYC. The NY legal job market is at an all time low and wasn't that great before the recession. None of those schools are heavy hitters in NYC, period.

UConn, Temple, UMD...those are decent schools for the states they are in but without in-state tuition or a significant no-strings scholarship, they aren't worth it.

shutterbug
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby shutterbug » Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm

LawyerlyLady wrote:
I already withdrew from St. John's with $22k/year because of its spot at the bottom of a long list of NY law schools, but now I'm thinking that may have been a mistake...



Bottom? I'd say after Columbia, NYU., Fordham, and Cardozo, yes, but that hardly qualifies for "bottom". And yes, it is a better bet than Brooklyn. Sounds like you drank the TLS kool-aid on that one. If you wanted to work in NYC, St. John's seems to have been far and away the best option you had available, especially with $22K a year.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby James Bond » Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm

shutterbug wrote:
LawyerlyLady wrote:
I already withdrew from St. John's with $22k/year because of its spot at the bottom of a long list of NY law schools, but now I'm thinking that may have been a mistake...



Bottom? I'd say after Columbia, NYU., Fordham, and Cardozo, yes, but that hardly qualifies for "bottom". And yes, it is a better bet than Brooklyn. Sounds like you drank the TLS kool-aid on that one. If you wanted to work in NYC, St. John's seems to have been far and away the best option you had available, especially with $22K a year.


In what world is St. Johns a better bet than Brooklyn?

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 pm

I'd go with UConn or Temple since their target markets are close to NYC so if you end up with a job in one of them you will at least be close to where you want to be. Seton Hall is also close but it doesn't do as well in its own target market (NJ) as the other two do in theirs. Also, I believe you can get in-state tuition at UConn after 1L. And Temple out of state is still cheaper than most schools.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm

James Bond wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
LawyerlyLady wrote:
I already withdrew from St. John's with $22k/year because of its spot at the bottom of a long list of NY law schools, but now I'm thinking that may have been a mistake...



Bottom? I'd say after Columbia, NYU., Fordham, and Cardozo, yes, but that hardly qualifies for "bottom". And yes, it is a better bet than Brooklyn. Sounds like you drank the TLS kool-aid on that one. If you wanted to work in NYC, St. John's seems to have been far and away the best option you had available, especially with $22K a year.


In what world is St. Johns a better bet than Brooklyn?



http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

This makes them appear comparable for big law but it's obviously an oversimplification and it looks like BLS has an adavantage in clerkships/government/unemployment. I'd take 22k at SJ over Brooklyn sticker though.

Edited to include a more thorough look
Last edited by bceagles182 on Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby James Bond » Thu May 27, 2010 5:32 pm

bceagles182 wrote:http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

This makes them appear comparable but it's obviously an oversimplification. I'd take 22k at SJ over Brooklyn sticker though.


I'll give you the stats and the scholly over no scholly, but plenty of people in NYC put Brooklyn and Cardozo above St. Johns and especially Seton Hall just on reputation and lay prestige.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm

You made a mistake withdrawing from St. John's. Best option out of your five for NYC, and you got a scholarship. That was a crazy decision.

Seeing at this is TLS and all, I'm shocked that this thread has gone so far without anyone saying it, but I'll be the first:

Retake.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm

You should go to Maryland. It has the highest ranking and thus the best chances of employment.

LawyerlyLady
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby LawyerlyLady » Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:You made a mistake withdrawing from St. John's. Best option out of your five for NYC, and you got a scholarship. That was a crazy decision.

Seeing at this is TLS and all, I'm shocked that this thread has gone so far without anyone saying it, but I'll be the first:

Retake.



Well, I don't have my heart set on NYC. I was just wondering what kind of a shot I'd have at a job there with a JD from one of these schools. I'd be happy in another city as well, which is why I made the decision to eliminate a school (albeit a New York school) that didn't seem quite up to par with the others...

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 6:34 pm

I'd go with UConn.
It's your best for a job in NYC.
St. John's would have been better though- you could have least gotten something in Long Island or Westchester.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:You made a mistake withdrawing from St. John's. Best option out of your five for NYC, and you got a scholarship. That was a crazy decision.

Seeing at this is TLS and all, I'm shocked that this thread has gone so far without anyone saying it, but I'll be the first:

Retake.


I disagree with the first portion of the above post, and agree with the second portion. I don't think you made a huge mistake by withdrawing from St. Johns, because I don't think that in this economy you stood a chance in NYC law regardless. Therefore, if NYC law (especially biglaw) is the goal, I say retake.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby Grizz » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

How do you feel about endless doc review gulags? If you're okay with that, Seton Hall.

If you want a good shot at meaningful legal employment, retake.

User avatar
okay734
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Best choice for NYC job market

Postby okay734 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 pm

If you withdrew from St John's, why the heck look at Seton Hall???? You'll be stuck in NJ.

Retake, get into Brooklyn, then maybe you'll have a shot at the City. I don't see how Maryland figures, if you want to practice in NYC.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests