USD or Chapman $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USD OR CHAPMAN?

USD
21%
CHapman
79%

Total votes: 19

1californian

USD or Chapman $$$

Postby 1californian » Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm

I need to make a decision between USD and a 80% ride to Chapman.

USD is obviously higher ranked but WAY more expensive.

Chapman pro's : just moved to Tier 2, Local, new small school with ranked #2 in best classroom experience .
Con's: New school, small Alumni network, still thought of as Tier 3 school.

Any advice?

Thanks

dcm81

Re: USD or Chapman $$$

Postby dcm81 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Take the money..... The job prospects coming out of USD are better, but not nearly good enough to justify paying sticker price. Chapman is on the weak end of a tier 2, but likely won't drop in the rankings because they score very well in everything else besides reputation and GPA/LSAT (faculty ratio, expenditures, bar passage rates, etc.). They figured out how to become a tier 2 school and the university funded them well enough to achieve that. Now its just a matter of time before better students come, and better reputation scores. Their reputation will likely slowly increase over time, as will the quality of their students, so I would expect them to move up fairly quickly as the second tier is all bunched up together. There are only 8 points difference between Chapman and USD in the USNews rankings. By the time you graduate, they should be a top 70 school and a legit tier 2 school. That would only require a few points more in the USNews rankings, and put them essentially on even par with Loyola/USD/Pepperdine, the next schools they need to compete against.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Take Chapman especially if you want to work in OC. USD places pretty darn well in SD, but anywhere else is suspect. BTW, if you are concerned about the rankings, which you shouldnt be, be concerned about where they will be when you are in school looking for work or when you graduate and are looking for work. Chapman will not catch USD in this regard for your purposes. However, the only time I have seen a schools "ranking" considered as a hiring criteria, it refers to schools that are miles above either of these, so it wont matter for you anyway. Be concerned about being in the top of your class instead, which always looks good on a resume. This will be likely be easier at Chapman, plus you have the added peace of mind of not having to pay as much if you arent able to achieve that. Good luck.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Depends where you want to work. USD is for SD.

Chapman at near-full is a reasonable option. But don't kill yourself if they drop back into tier 3 territory in the near future. I'm not saying they will, but a lot of schools fluctuate back and forth.

Scholarship stipulations?

1californian

Postby 1californian » Fri May 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
Chapman Scholly is contingent on being top 3rd of class for second year.
I'm leaning on Chapman but I decided to pay the USD deposit and ask for some money and then take it from there. I figured if they give me close to half I will go to USD- if not I'll stick with Chapman.

Any recent Chapman grads who have any input on job opp's coming out of school?

Postby 20160810 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:27 pm

TAKE THE MONEY.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 4:45 pm

1californian wrote:Thanks for all the advice.
Chapman Scholly is contingent on being top 3rd of class for second year.
I'm leaning on Chapman but I decided to pay the USD deposit and ask for some money and then take it from there. I figured if they give me close to half I will go to USD- if not I'll stick with Chapman.

Any recent Chapman grads who have any input on job opp's coming out of school?
Top third? That's pretty high.

And is harder since Chapman has high attrition, historically. I knew a guy who graduated in one of their first classes, and one-third of the 1L class was failed out. The most recent data says it's 13.7%, which is still quite high compared to most schools.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4926.pdf

At least your first 3 or 4 semesters will be cheap.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”